What happened?

Sascha

I can never decide if these pics are real or just good Photoshop, but supposedly a DPU or slave loco on a stationary train malfunctions and does some crazy wheel spinning that goes unnoticed for long enough to cause severe heating and eventually melts the rails.

I can never decide if these pics are real or just good Photoshop, but supposedly a DPU or slave loco on a stationary train malfunctions and does some crazy wheel spinning that goes unnoticed for long enough to cause severe heating and eventually melts the rails.

Agreed.  You would think rail warping would occur at the rail joints, but maybe not with welded rail.

It's from stationary spinning. You can see the bits of rail that were ground off thrown all around the depressions. I don't see how you could lets this go on for so long but once steel reaches a certain temp it loses about 70-80% of it's rigidity and deforms pretty easily. 

• Like 1

Found this on the net, without explanation. Anyone knows what could cause this?

Thanks for posting, I have seen this very picture before and wondered wth happened.  Obviously a remote controlled loco that didn't do what it was supposed to was likely :), but it's interesting to see details.  I wonder what the loco wheels looked like.

• Like 1

I remember this picture, it was caused by a remote control unit that never shut down, the train brakes held the train in place while the remote unit went nuts and wore the rails.

• Like 1

Found this on the net, without explanation. Anyone knows what could cause this?

I've seen this picture before. One of the Engines in the Consist didn't stop so the wheels heated up the rail and melted it.

• Like 1

Some driver was obviously more interested in doing mad skids to impress his mates or a ladyfriend in a display of his glorious masculinity. It must have been the hormonal season.

• Like 2