Running direction

Khaul

I must be missing something, and that's probably a bit of a silly question. Let's see. I have a model on the track pointing North and with the positive on the right rail. I select "forward" in the power pack, throttle up and my train moves North. Now, I take the train off the track and put it back in the opposite direction so it now points South. I keep forward in the power pack, throttle up and the train moves... North!

Is that right? How does it work? If the model is now pointing South the positive is now on the left rail from the model's point of view. I am confused.

Takahama Trainwatcher

So the model sees the positive on the opposite side compared to the first situation; instead of moving "forwards" it moves "backwards".

In the first situation forwards is north. In the second situation, having turned the model around, backwards is north.

So the model sees the positive on the opposite side compared to the first situation; instead of moving "forwards" it moves "backwards".

In the first situation forwards is north. In the second situation, having turned the model around, backwards is north.

I'll experiment more and see if I can be more clear. My initial intention is to run two trains in a single track going in opposite directions. there would be a passing loop in the middle. I would install a couple of insulator before the points so the train will stop waiting for the other train to pass through the point. The I switch the point and the stopped train moves.

I just couldn't get the trains moving in opposite directions using only one power pack.

In DC operation, the track polarity determines the running direction. If you reverse the motor polarity (the connection between the motor and the pickups) as HantuBlauLOL has said, the engine will start running opposite of the rest of your fleet.

The logic is that when you flip the locomotive, but leave the polarity the same, the track polarity is flipped from the locomotive's standpoint, so it starts running backward, which (since the loco was flipped) is the same direction as before.

On the other hand, since you only mention one siding, there can only be one train on the track that is moving, otherwise you would have a head on collision on the other side of the loop. This means, that you can install a polarity switch that you could throw with the turnouts to reverse track polarity and running direction.

In DC operation, the track polarity determines the running direction. If you reverse the motor polarity (the connection between the motor and the pickups) as HantuBlauLOL has said, the engine will start running opposite of the rest of your fleet.

The logic is that when you flip the locomotive, but leave the polarity the same, the track polarity is flipped from the locomotive's standpoint, so it starts running backward, which (since the loco was flipped) is the same direction as before.

On the other hand, since you only mention one siding, there can only be one train on the track that is moving, otherwise you would have a head on collision on the other side of the loop. This means, that you can install a polarity switch that you could throw with the turnouts to reverse track polarity and running direction.

Ok, I got the reversing thing.

Now, if trains would be to run in opposite directions the could moving only when both are on the loop. One would always stop before the point and wait for the other to turn around. But well, that would require inverting the polarity on one motor and it is quite crude anyway.

Köszönöm a segítséget.

Another example from 2006.

Tomix TCS 5563 setting #7

TomixTCS 5563 setting #8

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2