Kato DD51 locos

beakaboy

Just been working on some locos for Eurostar recently. The DD51 looked the same , but one had a light board with SMD's fitted while the other had standard 3mm LEDs on stalks. trying to speed match them for running together as they were miles apart in speed variation initially. SMD board was loose fit , so I added tiny layer of solder to contacts that slide into frame and hugh difference in pickup of power and speed. This meant the other unit was slower now , so after much fiddling ,I found finally ,that I was better to not push the standard LED board all the way home on frame and better to back it off slightly.very tight fit anyway. quick video shows how well they run now.

Also had issues with a DF200 and this had contact issues as well with light board. Turns out the clip that holds board to frame was loose in hole in motor cradle due to a crack in cradle . I ended up using a USA cradle from a PA loco which was very similar apart from needing about 3mm taken off the plastic sides where it sits in frame .

Edited by cteno4
Fixed YouTube embed
  • Like 2

Looking really good thanks Beakaboy, a massive improvement from what they were like when I picked them up, one wouldn't even budge!

I like the layout too, the sweeping curves look really good and would suit the NZ scenery.

I'm really impressed with the colour scheme on them. Looks really nice running as a pair. I am going to play with my DD51's to get them running together as well.