Romancecar 70000 Announced & EXE Renewal

bill937ca

The Odakyu Electric Railway has announced a new 70000  series of Romancecars with a 7 car train seating 400. These trains will be Vermilion color. Two trains will enter service by March 2018.

post-75-0-48761800-1476983860_thumb.jpg

Odakyu Japanese language pdf     http://www.odakyu.jp/program/info/data.info/8500_1656600_.pdf

Also announced was a  renewal of the EXE 30000 series.  These trains will be changed to a top of Moon Light Silver, the bottom becomes dark gray metallic, Vermilion and white line around the middle.  Commercial operation of renewed EXE trains should start March 2017.

Odakyu Japanese language pdf       http://www.odakyu.jp/program/info/data.info/8499_5668838_.pdf

Rail  Hobidas news item with photos.

http://rail.hobidas.com/news/info/article/post_658.html

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

Are you sure it will be called LSE? I didn't read anything about that.

7 regular length cars and the discontinuation of Jakobs-bogies makes it a little less interesting for me. :(

Are you sure it will be called LSE? I didn't read anything about that.

7 regular length cars and the discontinuation of Jakobs-bogies makes it a little less interesting for me. :(

Thanks.  Corrected.

The news popped up yesterday in my Twitter and I got some notifications via Facebook and friends as well. Aside from the sad news that the LSE will be retired when the new 70000 Series will be introduced, I'm very excited about the new Romance car, as well as the renewal of the EXE!

The current colour scheme of the EXE is terrible (from almost any perspective/point of view), but the renewed double-grey with a white/red band is excellent! Very contemporary and it plays nicely with the boxy form of the design, as well as put it in line with the VSE's and MSE's livery design. The downside is however that it greatly reduces the colour variety in general on the Odakyu lines, but I guess you could say that has already been compensated by the green from Tokyo Metro and JR East recently.

Also here is a little fun play on the 70000 Series design. This'd be fun to see! It's one of my favourite colour schemes anyway. I really should get one of these old Kato TGV models... I saw one or two the other day at the local BookOff.

CvMCJu6UkAAp5vm.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/flano606/status/788976729494654976

• Like 2

Yes another Observation car! Makes sense since it will take over the older 7000 LSE which is also an observation car... All in all, I still love the 50000 VSE the best... The design, shape, comfort, colour, everything just makes it look perfect.

The MSE is the 2nd best looker... That slick blue looks perfect.

The EXE, well, I could only say it looks just normal... though I like the gold on it.

I also am a big fan! Just yesterday we went to the Ōno depot, because the first formation just got delivered last wednesday! Maybe we'll head off tomorrow again, as it seemed to have moved from the back to the front of the depot :) I'm seriously considering getting a model of this now when it's released... MicroAce? :D

We just got this flyer that was delivered with the newspaper:

IMG_20161105_083401.jpg

IMG_20161105_083346.jpg

It contains information, not only on the new trains, but also on the history, technology, infrastructure, some statistics and nice travel destinations around Kyodo sta. It's this kind of service that makes me appreciate Odakyu more and more every day. Hopefully I won't become a fan... I probably already am a clost fan...

• Like 2

I also am a big fan! Just yesterday we went to the Ōno depot, because the first formation just got delivered last wednesday! Maybe we'll head off tomorrow again, as it seemed to have moved from the back to the front of the depot :) I'm seriously considering getting a model of this now when it's released... MicroAce? :D

Yeah! The silver with red stripe worked much better than the gold I feel... I think MA would have a huge chance since they already released the old EXE, so technically is only a re-paint of the old mold... I would get it too if it is released, though price will be the final decisive factor judging from the way MA is pricing their sets these days...

Well, the most recent announcements have some reasonable prices again, which are old moulds, so the new EXEα could be in the same range. Then again, you also might not know what Tomix may be up to...

A little bit related, as at least one set of EXE units is currently out of commission and one broke down. Because of a mechanical failure, yesterday, Enoshima 74 wasn't able to run as an EXE unit, so in a hurry a 1000 Type was used as a replacement:

Also, here is a video from last Sunday where the new EXEα was doing a test run between the Ono-depot at Sagamiono (Odakyū Odawara line) and the Kitami-depot at Karakida (Odakyū Tama line). Here it is seen making a departure after the switchback at Shin-yurigaoka:

• Like 1

Interesting! A 1000 series as a Limited Express Romance Car service? I wonder if the riders will get compensated, since they did pay more to sit in a romance car and ended up in a normal day to day commuter...

On 11/25/2017 at 7:38 AM, Suica said:

More than just a middle car now~

lookin good!

btw, where did you guys actually get this kind of "unreleased train" pics?

11 minutes ago, HantuBlauLOL said:

btw, where did you guys actually get this kind of "unreleased train" pics?

My Japanese twitter followers take care of it. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These must have been spotted at Nippon Sharyo's (or near) assembly line at Toyokawa in Aichi Prefecture.

Edited by Sacto1985
1 hour ago, kvp said:

Those are actually supposed to replicate the Rhaetian Railway colours.