Amtrak E60CP

Kb4iuj

GG1 is one of those trains that being next to is really something. the curves have a very subtle but beautiful feel in scale, in person. kind of like the E4, very very different in person next to it than in a pict.

jeff

Somewhere I read those E60 derailed a lot. But, oh yea those GG1's are different.

If some of you guys are hitting a dry spell modeling wise here's a touring bicyclist in southern Japan. And his videos are of the streets so lots of detail if your streets are missing that special something. As look at the fences and bus stop awnings, along with all the other stuff. Just saw a Domino's Pizza store. But, those are quite rare. LOL.

So far the second day music is ok as the other day beats will wear on ya.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=tS&page_id=469344&v=n

Somewhere I read those E60 derailed a lot. But, oh yea those GG1's are different.

Probably due more to the condition of the track in the Northeast after years of neglected maintenance.  The SDP40Fs also had derailment problems, on all railroads except the Santa Fe who eventually bought several of them for freight service.

If I remember right, the general E60 design by General Electric was intended to be a high tractive-effort freight locomotive, and was not really well suited to fairly high speed passenger service on the Northeast Corridor. The 3-axle trucks/bogies had a "hunting" or yaw stabilty problem which was never fully resolved. Their allowable speeds were eventually reduced.

Rich K.

• Like 2

I think the general train of thought in those days was that Amtrak wouldn't last long and it wasn't worth designing locomotives specifically for passenger service.

• Like 1

Ge Built the dual cab E60's for Amtrak for use the corridor and single cabs for a mine in BC that may still have them.  The problem was that the E60's were very rough riding over 80 MPH and thus the GG1s stayed around.  When the MetroLiners being retired Amtrak ordered the AEM7's in the early 1980's to replace the metroliners, the GG1's the E60's which were put on work duty and the Metroliners most of which were retire with some being converted to push pull cabs. It was a fun to time to be a railfan in the Northeast in the early 1980's. 

• Like 1

The British Columbia Railway electrics last ran in 2000 and have been scrapped except I believe for one which was kept for a museum.