The longest railroad crossing in Japan (Err--yikes!)

Sacto1985

YouTube member Dotaku just recently posted a very interesting--but somewhat scary-looking--video of the longest railroad crossing in Japan, one located just north of Kagetsuen-mae Station on the Keikyu Main Liine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpmB_QHFWSo

And it's not hard to figure out why: the crossing goes over TEN 1,067 mm zairaisen tracks used by JR East and JR Freight and two 1,435 mm tracks used by Keikyu. Just waiting for an opportunity to use that crossing could be a long wait, especially on weekdays. 

I'm surprised that the crossing still exists, considering a slightly narrower crossing just south of Nagoya Station that crosses over JR Central and Meitetsu tracks closed a few years ago.

• Like 6

Wow amazing... just cycling over those 10 rails will give anyone a good butt massage!  :)

I was wondering, if someone with a slower mobility gets caught inbetween the closing rail crossings, what would happen? I mean the crossings will be up for 'X' period of time so when someone couldn't make it across those 10 rails within that time and the next express train is arriving fast?

There used to be several more of these along this stretch, but most of them have been replaced by pedestrian bridges and eliminated.  For cars, though the JR lines are barrier for a couple of kilometers looking at Google maps.

These tend to just remain here and there. There is one in my near in budapest called the 'crossing of long waits' spanning the tracks of a freight yard with a passenger stop in the middle. A funny short novel was written about it in the 1960ies depicting various increasingly silly replacement attempts. Eventually a large highway overpass was built next to it over the turnouts but the crossing is still in place and still closed for more than 100 minutes at a time. Most passengers using the station just duck under the gates and run across the tracks.

By the way, one station down from Kagetsuen-mae Station on the Keikyu Main Line is Namamugi Station--and there is a flat railroad crossing right south of it, crossing over six JR East line tracks and two Keikyu tracks! (Fortunately, the two JR Freight Tokaido Freight Line tracks go over this crossing.) Here's a video of this crossing:

In fact, this crossing is closed during commute hours for very obvious reasons.

• Like 1

That would be a fun game with pedestrians and trains!

Jeff

Or a scooter making  a ramen delivery.  You need to make your delivery, but do you jump the crossing, or not?