OpenRailwayMap: Amazing resource for those in the hobby!

john_ibw

I am not sure if this has been shared here before. Also, I am not certain if this is the right sub-forum to post in. Feel free to move it to the right one. I spent a few hours and thought this is simply awesome. It shows subways, light rail, and subways too. 

http://www.openrailwaymap.org/

• Like 3

I've checked the Budapest area and it seems fairly accurate even with the newest tram lines and rebuilt junctions. In the country there seems to be some outdated parts, that since have changed. Also indicates some tracks as abandoned that in reality are in daily use, just in a very bad condition.

I wonder how they gather their information.

There are a few omissions, errors and out of date entries in my neck of the woods where I know what should be there but overall not bad.

I was not sure if all lines are covered and have not researched on how the information is updated. To me, it seems to be crowd sourced. Different regions and countries may have restrictions or they are not as prompt as others. I was looking for inspiration, and it seemed like a good tool to help me plan the layout I have been dreaming of for a while now. I am not sure if we can drop pins. Can we do it on this? I looked for it but could not figure that out. Also, for Japan region, the names on the map is in Japanese even though I chose English from the drop down. Everyone see the same?

yep japanese here with english selected, it looks like it only effects language of the interface. labels on the map seem to be in the language of the country.

jeff

• Like 1