T-Track - "Z"

gerryo

Mod to the viaduct and the left end turn module.  Viaduct mod is to add a siding as a double viaduct for part of the loop.  Will have to do some work on 4 of the double wide  plates to accommodate the turnouts and the long 15 degree curves.

Left end turn will be slightly shorter to allow breathing room for the 3 track yard.  

Some bashing and building of custom pieces ahead.

Some problems with downloading pic.  Will find the problem.

Still can't work

It works now but does this mean that anyone can modify my plan??????

Gerry

Z-Inside Corner Layout cw Viaduct.any

Edited by gerryo
Previous att. to get pic. didn't work

I wish to add an updated plan here from a jpg file. Lets see if it works any better today.

I will be doing some editing if it does not.

OK. The file has been uploaded and I can modify it any way I want.  Please see if you can do the same.  I think you have to have AnyRail to do that.

GerryZ-Inside Corner Layout cw Viaduct.any

Edited by gerryo

What are you trying to accomplish?

Why do you want people to modify your file?

If you just want to show us the plan, do a screen print and add it as an attachment.

Gerry, you have uploaded an anyrail file, not a jpeg.

what do you want to do here, show the plan to everyone? If so then export a jpeg file from anyrail or do a screen shot to a jpeg file and upload that and everyone can see it then. With the anyrail file, only those with anyrail software can open it and they have to open it in the anyrail software, they can't see it from the forum in the browser directly.

if you post an anyrail file on the forum like this anyone can download it, open it in anyrail, and then modify it. But that won't effect the coy you just uploaded, the member would have to upload a copy of their modified file for you or others to access it (or email or pm you the modified file as an attachment).

jeff

My point is that the file can be modified..  And it is a jpg file the same as I have always done, but now when I save my anyrail file and export it to a jpg file this is what happens.  The file used to be copied to a jpg file and stored in my documents file.  Now it gets stored as a jpg file in something called an AnyRail Auto-Save file as a jpg and this is what is copied to the forum when I upload.

The change has been made in the AnyRail program and now does things differently.  I don't know all the proper machination language necessary to explain it to you but the changes have been made by an Update from AnyRail.

The forum only accepts what is sent by AnyRail.  There would be no point in ME trying to explain this to AnyRail because I do not understand what has happened.  It needs to be followed up by someone like you Jeff or by Martjin to help them understand.

I GIVE UP.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo

Gerry,

i think what you need to do is talk to anyrail about how you export a jpeg file from anyrail to share with the forum to see what you are doing. It's nothing to do with the forum at all, it's all in how you export a jpeg file from anyrail and where that is saved to on your hard drive. The forum will accept whatever format file you choose to upload (it use to be limited to jpegs but no longer is). You are uploading the .any anyrail file. If you choose a .jpg jpeg file it will upload that to the forum.

The autosave feature in anyrail will be saving copies in the anyrail file format, not as a jpeg. Jpegs are just picture files to show your track plan that can no longer be edited by anyrail. The file you uploaded is an anyrail file, not a jpeg, so it may be your anyrail backup file or the original file. The anyrail file names will have the extension .any and jpeg files will have .jpg.

when you do the export of a jpeg from anyrail make sure you have jpg selected as the file format in the export window. Sometimes they have the file format for the program as well as others like jpeg to choose from in a pull down or check off menu of some sort in the export window. Maybe they changed the export default file format to anyrail and maybe it use to rember what you last selected (jpeg) is not happening now. Did you do an upgrade recently to the anyrail program?

Sorry but this is all an issue with using anyrail, not the forum software/process. See if there is a tutorial/instructions on exporting jpegs from anyrail

jeff

I'll try for a different path.

OK.  Pics now are saved in a picture file instead of a document file.

Now it works fine.

Z-Inside Corner Layout cw Viaduct.jpg

Edited by gerryo
Had to find where my plan was going.
  • Like 1

I received the last 3 modules for my Small Star layout so must get at assembling them.  This is the layout I mean, and had the mods. built by Masterpiece in Texas.

5a04f0e70fe89_ZSmallStarLayout.jpg.398b142e0f01217fc3b7a854bf6fd871.jpg

The 3 mods. are the ones in pink that form a 3 pointed star.  With them turned the other way out and with 6 of them it forms a 6 pointed star.

The viaduct around the outside is the new one by Rokuhan.  Will be my first try with this.

Gerry

What was the shipping like on those modules?  I've been eyeing the N scale ones, but I dont want to pay another 50% in shipping.

Shipping to Canada is much more expensive than internal US.  These could go postal for you but international courier for me, so becomes much more.

I'm sure that from Austin to California would not be much.  Depends on your priorities.  Right now I don't know the shipping cost.  It will be billed from the courier.

Gerry

I now have the shipping costs for the 3 modules.  It cost 40.56 US dollars.  That's 13.52 each and a total weight of 11.3 pounds

Gerry.

These are the 3 Star modules.

IMG_0681.thumb.JPG.e48115ba92db03ec1834543fa00196eb.JPG

The distance across, point to point is 48 inches.  Flat to flat is 34.5 inches.  Makes for a good hub to build on.  Each flat where the mods come together is where more mods will go to make 3 arms to the star.

Gerry

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gerryo said:

I now have the shipping costs for the 3 modules.  It cost 40.56 US dollars.  That's 13.52 each and a total weight of 11.3 pounds

Gerry.

Thanks, thats a lot better than I feared.  The modules look very nice! 

Those are pretty. That's the only way to make those star junction modules -- wirh a CNC! They are a pain on antable saw!

yiles I just checked what usps shipping would be and it's like $40 just in the us! Hopefully other options cheaper...

jeff

Does anyone know if there is a scale model of the Toyama (Azumi) Castle, either N or Z scale, or somewhere close to scale?

Gerry

Edited by gerryo
I spelled it wrong.

Thanx for the try Todd.  There just doesn't seem to be one.

I think I have just completed the plans for the Cortina layout so will be working on that for now.

Gerry

I have decided to simplify things for my first T-Track-Z layout and not use the Star modules.  They need a wider area to produce a layout and a small apartment is not where that can happen.  Also, since the T-Track is to be a temp layout it gets relegated to the smallest allotment of space, so it goes on one side of my bedroom. 24 inches  wide by about 130 inches long.  This will use ten modules of various sizes, and will incorporate a small yard for the regular pair of tracks and even a 4 track yard for the single track viaduct.  Sounds complicated, and it is.

Since T-Track is mostly used for displaying our efficiency in RR modelling it will be used as such.  There is no such thing as a T-Track-Z club in existence around here but maybe this will arouse some interest.  Even T-Track-N is very rare and one would need to cross the border into U.S.A. to get club affiliation.  

So, this pic might help to see what I have in mind.

5a7b958b0db6d_Z-SHORTBEDROOM.jpg.c05165bb4f8d2c3ebc93e3d3da997e84.jpg

I have most of these modules ready with good flat surfaces prepared for track.  There is room for a double track viaduct but as you can see right now it will be mostly track so I'm limiting the viaduct, and will even leave it removable for now.  The 2 yards are the end mods at the left. and since I already have 3 shinkansens I have made a 4 track yard at viaduct level.

Yes. I will get a build on.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo
I repeated a word.
  • Like 1

I have been working on these modules again, just to try to clean some space for other things.  It's neat to have a change of pace and objective once in a while.  And besides, it gets lonely around here sometimes, when the only person I speak to all week is the postman when he delivers a parcel.

Anyway, I just might get asked to display these and I suppose they should have track on.

Gerry

I have been working now for almost a week to try to finish these modules and have come to a decision.  Styrofoam on the top surface is not a good way to go.  If I was to order more mods they would be the flush surface type with plywood on the top.  Maybe I am too picky, but I learned a long time ago that if you don't have a good surface you can't get a nice finish on a vehicle.  It's the same here.  You have to sand and fill, sand and fill to get it right, but I'm beginning to think the wood surface would be better with paint and surfacing material that you can't sand.    Yes, I'm tired of sanding.

Anyway, I have the surface finished on 12 of 14 mods so I'm getting there.

Gerry

Gerry, 

are you trying to finish the exposed edge or the top? For the exposed edge you can use wood veneer edgebanding. It comes in widths of 3/4-2” and you can cut it easily with a matte knife. Just glue it to the foam edges with pva glue or epoxy. Then finish the wood as usual with just a bit of sanding and then oil, stain, or paint. Very fast.

on the top that will be covered by track, buildings and scenery, right?

jeff

I am now concentrating on my T-TRACK-Z for a while.  I have asked for space at the Kingston Ontario November Railfair show and have been allowed space for 2 - 6 ft. tables for my layout.  I have enough space there for about 14 different modules as in this plan.

5af499fd969bb_Z-T-TRACKInsideCornerLayout.jpg.653a6160cdb56bc4e3f1c0c2693a0742.jpg

The show is a one day affair which means I have to be quick about it.  I will use the" set things on and off system" to save time.  I will need to have someone assist me especially for my first time in years.  And, no, I can't afford to import help from Japan.

So wish me luck.

Gerry

Another, and even a better reason to use the ply tops on the modules is if you make mistakes.  Yes, even I make mistakes.  When you have to change a piece of track after having glued it a couple of days earlier it is impossible to do it without more sanding.  Whereas, if you had been able to apply a couple of screws, the job would be much easier and cleaner.  Live and learn.

Gerry