T-Track - "Z"

gerryo

That's maerklin track that is roadbedless. Microtrains track is very similar to Kato unitrack or Rokuhan tracks just uses american tie spacing.

Gosh - who would have thunk it!

I'll admit to (obviously) not being familiar with their Z track, but knew everything else they produce is flex, and it seemed most unlikely to me that they would make sectional track in any scale.

Also, no doubt twice as expensive as Rokuhan ;-)

Also, no doubt twice as expensive as Rokuhan ;-)

Microtrains oval: 25.90 usd (on sale: 20)

Rokuhan oval: 2800 jpy (25.18 usd)

The main difference is the tie spacing and that Rokuhan has more pieces, not just the basic Maerklin geometry.

The price similarity surprises me even more than the fact that they offer sectional track in the first place ;-)

Maybe it's a "loss leader" for everything else they sell . . . .

For me, the main difference is the variety of pieces.  When I come to laying down the track, I prefer to know that variety exists, and are reasonably available.  Not "Sometime in the FUTURE".

For instance, the curved turnouts by Rokuhan are there and readily available in the US as well as Japan.  There is a small problem with their 25mm straight, which is only available in wood tie config.  Not there in concrete yet.

Gerry

post-2768-0-78845900-1490715474_thumb.jpg

I received the last 6 modules a few minutes ago, and the smallest 2 have been built already.  Approximately 1/2 hour each.

I now have 16 modules of various sizes and shapes and will be able to build 4 different layouts.  I will chose a simple one for demos.

The pic is of the last 4 large mods which will be used as end caps, 180 degree turns.

Gerry

• Like 1

I ordered the JNR C57 Number 1 Imperial along with the T014-4 Moka Series 50 by Rokuhan today.  I will change the colour of the stripe later.  This should be OK for a display item.

Gerry

Gerry,

Are you on the Ttrak yahoo group? Some discussion there on setting Ttrak standards with the ntrak org as they have taken over Ttrak since lee and jim's passing. No one seems to have spoken up much so far for z scale standards.

Jeff

I don't think any opinions from a stupid old Canadian are of any interest to people trying to set standards.

Yes, I am on the T-Track Yahoo Group.  I already have the same standards as used by SOME others in the group. 

Gerry

Your experiences here with your modules and any insites would be of value, not sure if anyone is speaking up for Ttrak. Ntrak org is international! It's all about folks adding to the mix as they try to form the new standards as Ttrak folds into ntrak umbrella. So many ntrak clubs now do ttrak as well and it's a very established org to maintain them without lee.

Jeff

I would hardly call myself independent seeing as how, with my help and suggestions, there are now 4 more T-Track-Z module types now available from a very serious module supplier for both N and Z T-Track.

Anyhow, I am very glad to give my 2 cents worth, to make these modules very correct, and readily available.  The Masterpiece company turn around time is 4 to 6 days delivered to my apartment.

With the 2 additional mods that I recently ordered I can now put together all of my T-Track-Z layout plans.

Gerry

I would hardly call myself independent

Well - you're certainly very independent in what you want to build, and not feeling compelled to follow anyone else's path.

Hi Jeff.  Do you know how the Yahoo Groups works?  I spent some time joining the Great Lakes Z Scale Group, writing a short introduction e-mail, which disappeared into the unknown, and now I can't get a response from anyone there.

I'm ready to give that up as a bad job.

Gerry

Gerry,

You need to join yahoo first if you are not already a member. Then sign into groups and search for in groups "t-trak". Once at the Ttrak group home page click on the join button. Some will ask you send the owner a short message, others don't. Choose how you want your notifications (i.e. Individual emails, digest emails or just check online only).

Jeff

I got the last 2 modules a few minutes ago, so now will complete the cutting of the styro and the gluing for the final set.  These modules make up more than enough to do a nice inside corner layout.  Hopefully the T-Track-N Club will let me do a display for them soon, and I will do it with just bare mods to indicate how they fit.  I'm sure they all know since using N scale but they might need proof.

I'll use some N scale Japan buildings to indicate what I'm thinking.

Gerry

post-2768-0-87056200-1492959774_thumb.jpg

These are the nine mods that I will be using for my display.  One has track on.

I know it's been slow but with my wifes health problems everything takes longer with doctors and hospitals thrown in....well you know.

Anyway, just to show I've been doing something, here they are to date.

Gerry

post-2768-0-11675100-1492959803_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerryo

I just received the last large bundle of track for the modules.  Wow, that's expensive stuff.   Just 2 more curved turnouts to go and all track will be here.

I also received the C57 Loco Number 1 (Royal Train) along with 6 Moka Railway 50 Passenger Cars, and 6 Interior lights.  The cars have a red stripe which will be changed to white when I get time.  I also need a bunch of time to install the lights.  They are quite fiddley to get in, but have good clear instructions.

More work.

Gerry

Wow.   4-1/2 hours to install 6 light sets.   Very small screws and even smaller springs to hold them in place, but they're all done.

Gerry

• Like 1

I set up a temp layout on the table, got the C57 and 6 Moka cars on as well, turned it on and --- not much happened.  Mostly they just sat there and in a couple seconds the fault light came on.  Ok, took 3 cars off and they were moved slowly around the track, then the fault light came on.

So, went and got my DE10 1500 hooked it up and it worked just fine with all 6 cars hooked on.  Tried the power unit of my Niigata 115-1000.  It worked fine as well.

I have had several Marklin Z Pacifics before and they all worked well with from 4 to 6 cars on my constant 4% grade.  Nothing I can do will make this one pull even the 3 cars it supposedly is mated for.  Very disappointing.  And on flat surfaces even.

Have to leave it for now, but I'll be back.

Gerry

I have found that I can get some performance out of the C57 with 3 passenger cars attached, so will use it like that.

I have also found a number of videos of C57-1 with just 3 cars so I guess it's ok.

I also have seen videos of the C11 325 with only 3 cars in Moka livery so have ordered a C11 and have 3 cars to use with it.  Got an extra train that way.

But still have to paint the stripe on my number 1

Gerry

Hi Venture.

The software that I use is AnyRail 6.  Easy to use and very accurate.  This is produced by a firm in Holland.

Gerry

So here I was with a few minutes spare time.  Imagine.  Spare time, with about 100 boxes still to unpack after my move.  

Anyway-.  I have my two  4 ft. tables set up in the bedroom, and have the Ttrack-Z modules set up for an inside corner, and have even incorporated the new Rokuhan Viaduct into the plan.  This will be my first effort in my new place.  Still lots of work on the modules, but it's a start.

Gerry59e2750e3356b_Z-InsideCornerLayoutcwViaduct.jpg.e7f0e25d49888543d9a16d2eea60a70b.jpg