Shops with Narrow Gauge interest?

rusty-project

Hi All,

I am travelling to Japan for just over 2 weeks in October, starting in Osaka and ending up in Tokyo (all by train).

While we are in Tokyo (or even in Osaka/Kyoto etc) are there any good modelshops to visit for Narrow Gauge models in general? I used to model in 009 (HOe or HOn1/2) and it might be a good occasion to buy a few items. The Tsugawa N gauge locos/chassis look like good items for 009 - can anyone say where there is a good stockist please?

Is there anywhere else that is really a must-do if we can fit it in?

Many thanks,

If you're in Tokyo the 22nd and 23rd, it might be worthwhile to visit PIO in Kamata for the JMRA. Lots of narrow gauge stuff on sale there from small manufacturers directly: http://www.jmra.gr.jp/

I'm not entirely sure if I will attend this time, because of time constraints, finances and not having a T-Trak module ready...

Imon

Hi All,

I am travelling to Japan for just over 2 weeks in October, starting in Osaka and ending up in Tokyo (all by train).

While we are in Tokyo (or even in Osaka/Kyoto etc) are there any good modelshops to visit for Narrow Gauge models in general? I used to model in 009 (HOe or HOn1/2) and it might be a good occasion to buy a few items. The Tsugawa N gauge locos/chassis look like good items for 009 - can anyone say where there is a good stockist please?

Is there anywhere else that is really a must-do if we can fit it in?

Many thanks,

Any of the Imon shops. My experience is with the Akihabara branch, quite a bit of built-up World Kougei equipment in HOn30 but watch the prices! Also a good stock of Arumodel kits, these are very good value. Can't vouchsafe about the availability of Tsugawa stock.

Another place to go with a reasonable NG content is Tenshodo in Ginza. Again, prices beware but they too had a good stock of Arumodel kits - and the extras to finish them.

Cheers NB

Hi railsquid,

Many thanks for your help on this - much appreciated.

I was planning a visit to the Tenshodo shop at Ginza as it seemed interesting from what I have read - do they stock all makes of models? (Kato, Tomix, etc)?

I think hobbyland-pochi could be interesting too (various N gauge locomotives/trams can be converted for HOn2 1/2, HOe, 009 etc.) - I've seen they have several stores around Tokyo. Which is the biggest/best one to see?

Tenshodo stock all normal Japanese N gauge, and also larger scales (HO, O etc. and Z, though I'm not really interested in those either so not sure what brands they stock in other scales).

Hobbyland Pochi has 3 branches in Akihabara, the two close to the station have a generally good selection. Also Poppondetta's second hand 4th floor usually has a bunch of trams.

rusty-project

Hi Kabutoni & Railsquid,

Many thanks for your help on this. If we can, I'm going to try to get to the JMRA show in Tokyo too - it is roughly when we are in the area!

Best regards,

rusty-project

Imon

Any of the Imon shops. My experience is with the Akihabara branch, quite a bit of built-up World Kougei equipment in HOn30 but watch the prices! Also a good stock of Arumodel kits, these are very good value. Can't vouchsafe about the availability of Tsugawa stock.

Another place to go with a reasonable NG content is Tenshodo in Ginza. Again, prices beware but they too had a good stock of Arumodel kits - and the extras to finish them.

Cheers NB

Many thanks for this - I'll see if I can persuade the other half that also seeing an IMON shop would be a tourist highlight in Tokyo!

Cheers,

Many thanks for this - I'll see if I can persuade the other half that also seeing an IMON shop would be a tourist highlight in Tokyo!

Cheers,

Imon has several branches (Yokohama, Harajuku, Ikebukuro - look up their page) across town, however just visiting Akihabara is an experience, Japanese sensorial overload on steroids. Well worth just strolling around... Let alone the fact that these days it possibly has just about the greatest concentration of model train stores per square kilometer in the whole face of the planet... having said that, Tenshodo is very handy as you could drop the missus at Mitsukoshi, the shop is just around the corner a couple of blocks away.

Cheers NB

Edited by Nick_Burman