Temporary Layout - questions from newbie

locidm

Very nice positioning of the trains for the photo shoot, and equally good framing of the shots.

I'm thinking it's a real camera vs. a phone - if I'm wrong, it's a very good camera-phone.

serotta1972

While I'm waiting for tracks, finally got in some train running time.

773D4A51-4002-47A3-BB53-3ACFC2005863_zps

5040162A-A9AD-4226-BE17-F7D96C83A220_zps

Looking good locidm!

Tracks arrived! Completed both double loops. It was tight and needed mod to one pier and placement of multiple piers away from track joints, but it worked! Had fun running all four trains together at once!

Placed buildings, and installed lights for the first time ever in the station. Will do the platform next. :) thanks again Paul for the lighting tutorials!

More platforms on the way!

79D7E348-3CB8-46CA-BCCF-D6280F43BD2C_zps

513629ED-3944-4388-91C4-6CD5060329E6_zps

EE47D758-2788-4EBF-9AD7-BEB16F5C4547_zps

Edited by locidm
  • Like 7

Wow, looking good locidm!  I like how you managed to fit so much into a small space, yard, viaduct, and three stations, but it all looks natural in between the buildings.  The lighting looks good too, do you plan to do the viaduct station as well?

Thanks Sam! I was afraid it would be too busy during planning stage but at the end I liked how it looks and the ability to run four trains at once.

Yes I will add lighting to all the stations and platforms. Hopefully a few select buildings too. It will take some time though.

Wow - quite the change! I like the new photo-backdrop - what's the source?

Maybe you can fit an out-and-back tram line in on the main street so you can have five trains running at once ;-)

Perhaps from downtown to old town and then one of the stations, if there's space to squeeze the track in somewhere - say a close fit in front of the siding at the front station, with an intermediate stop at the main station?

Thanks velotrain!

The backdrop is actually the same one, but I had it partially hidden before when I took the layout down previously. Just had it raised back to the way it is last week. Lol. I think I found it on Flickr, after Jeff recommended me to look at backdrop related threads including this one:

Urban Backscenes

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=82362&share_tid=666&share_pid=5626&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ejnsforum%2Ecom%2Fcommunity%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F666-Urban-Backscenes%2Fpage__view__findpost__p__5626&share_type=t

The tram line is a good idea! I'll see if it's a possibility. I also thought about adding the tomix bus system. But that will be a project down the road. :)

The tram line is a good idea! I'll see if it's a possibility. I also thought about adding the tomix bus system. But that will be a project down the road. :)

Well - the way you have things packed in at the moment, you might be able to fit a partial single track, but I doubt you'd find space for a full road loop to host the bus ;-)

It looks like you don't even have space for a ramp track up to the viaduct, although maybe you're still trying to work that out.

If I have bus in there it'll be nothing more than a dog bone rather than a loop. Not sure if a dog bone would fit.

The viaduct will stay separate from the ground main line. No ramp. This is the only way I can fit two double loops in there. The ramps will take up a lot of space!

I see others experience the same exponential growth at "temporary" layouts like I do... ;)

Yes - but his is in much greater marked contrast to your original rural scene ;-) But I guess we need to give you some time . . . .

• Like 2

nice Kiha66, don't know how you found that picture! Love it! Perhaps I'll swap to two cars in the hangar.

Nevertheless, the DD51 in my picture is a DD51-500 series cold weather type with 3 lights operated mostly in Hokkaido, where as the DD51 in the link provided was a DD51-800 series warm region one. :)

That reminds me, I need to install the number plate one of these days.

Edited by locidm
serotta1972

You got a lot going on your layout Ian.  I like the dedicated viaduct setup - it saves space as you're not having to create a loop to get to ground level.  I will be doing the same once I get a bigger table.  Nice to see your diverse collection of JP trains.  

Thanks Junior! I was frustrated with my previous layout because it doesn't allow continuous running around the viaduct station, plus was only able to run two trains at once. Hence when I designed this layout I prioritized continuous running with more trains. No more reverse loop and no more ramps! Operation is now much simpler. It will become more fun when I hook up the sound box again. :)

My puny collection is nothing compared to yours!

I have a #4 turnout that causes derailment quite often. 

The problem is especially pronounced when running some of my newly acquired train sets. My older trains doesn't seem to have the problem.

I've tried swapping with another #4 turnout and have the same issue. 

The same turnout on the other side of the layout, which basically is the mirror of the problematic one, doesn't have any issue.

What are the things one should look into when trouble shooting points? What are the potential fixes?

The real problem might be having a curve just right at the tips of the point. Adding a car's length (or at least half) of straight between them usually fixes this without modifying the turnout.

Thanks guys! I'll look into the mod.

Kvp, I agree adding straight might fix the issue but my tiny layout doesn't have enough room for them, at least not at the expense of something else.

> The same turnout on the other side of the layout, which basically is the mirror of the problematic one, doesn't have any issue.

But, have you tried running trains over it in the opposite direction?

Assuming the same sort of curve-points situation.

> The same turnout on the other side of the layout, which basically is the mirror of the problematic one, doesn't have any issue.

But, have you tried running trains over it in the opposite direction?

Assuming the same sort of curve-points situation.

Of course I have! Same curve point situation.