Kato Hyper Dx power pack 22-017

Eurostar25

Just wondering if anyone has one of these power packs and wether or not they'd recommend one?

Am I right in understanding that it can run 2 separate trains independently on 2 separate power supplies within the one controller?

Just curious as I need another 3 power packs for the 4 loops I'll eventually have and was wondering if this unit will help reduce 4 power packs into 2.

There's not a lot of English material online about it, plenty of Japanese videos on YouTube that seem to show it has excellent low speed operational abilities.

Also Amiami have them at 43% off at present...

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-20594&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_cate2%3D9604%24s_stockitem%3D1%24pagemax%3D40%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D4

Great question Eurostar, I've wondered about that as well as there's 2 Forward/Reverse levers.  And it looks badass with it's black and silver finish compared to the blue controller.  

Interesting find (I wanted to know too)

I don't have one and the next best thing is a Youtube unboxing. When the guy pulled out the power adapter you can tell it was a little beefy. 

Here is the screen shot that pretty much answers your question. It has a 2 amp output so there is enough to drive 2 trains. It has the two feeders connections. 

I guess this links to the sound unit Kato has hense the black case. 

Here is the video.

med_gallery_153_24_10809.jpg

Inobu

Edited by inobu

This is a simple H0 controller with a reversing section switch built in. It only has one speed controller. There was an earlier thread about it, but i can't find it at the moment.

ps: The Kato sound controller only works correctly when connected serially, so it can measure the load, so please do not use the 2nd output when it's connected.

Those were the exact links I was watching earlier haha. The language choice though for me sort of is a hint it's possibly not a second speed controller, the word 'sub' seems a strange choice if it were. I would've thought that if it were 2 controllers combined surely it would've been cheaper than 2 individual Kato controllers but it's almost the cost of 3, so I don't quite see the logic.

Might just paint my kato controller black and be done with it!

The idea behind these packs is that it has enough power to supply a single multi motored H0 set, like one with two motor cars and two banker locomotives, including full lighting.

The reversing levers can be used to run a wye, crossing or two ballon loops without using an extra reversing switch. In wye mode or crossing mode, you connect the main output to the mainline output and the crossing/inner side of the wye to the sub output. This allows you to switch polarity while standing inside in this section and continue back to the mainline. This effectively reverses the train. The other use is with a single track main and two ballon loops. In this case the loops are connected to the main output and the mainline to the sub output, allowing you to reverse polarity on the mainline while the train is in one of the loops, allowing continous running on the layout.

The same polarity reversing could be done with Tomix fully power routing turnouts, but for those who use Kato tracks, this controller could come pretty handy. It's almost a must for longer sets in H0, so if you are running H0, i would say get this instead of the blue universal one.

I just purchased one of these from amiami to run my layout which has a balloon loop. Thx for the tips on the discount!

Quick question, I'm in the US, will I require any kind of adapter for this unit? First time buying a power pack from Japan. I've been using the standard power pack from Kato USA.

I just purchased one of these from amiami to run my layout which has a balloon loop. Thx for the tips on the discount!

Quick question, I'm in the US, will I require any kind of adapter for this unit? First time buying a power pack from Japan. I've been using the standard power pack from Kato USA.

You don’t need an adapter. I use Tomix and Kato Controller from Japan with no problems.