Gerry's Z Scale Trams and Buses

gerryo

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, but I wonder how long it will be before there are Trams and Moving Buses in Z scale?

Now that I'm about ready to lay Z scale track on my layout I'm already thinking about my next small layout.

Anyone hear any rumours?

Gerry

Edited by gerryo

I think it would be real neat to have a SINTRA Tram on a layout, but there is no way I could build something like that.  I have tried to do a British kit locomotive which were designed to use a Marklin steam loco as motive source, and I could not do it.

Something this complicated would just be too much of a challenge for my old hands.  I need a ready-to-run model.

Gerry

Hi bill937ca.

Thanx for the link for the tram.  I have ordered 1 from shapeways, and a little loco from Marklin.  Should be a fun experiment.

Gerry

• Like 1

Hi bill937ca.

Yesterday I received the little loco from Marklin, and today I received the Sintra Tram from Shapeways.

You were right about this being a challenge !!!

Gerry

• Like 1

The tram is 2 axle and the locomotive is probably 3 if you got a br89 (the cheapest option). If it is, the drive rods could be removed and the middle wheels too. The cylinders will pop off too, along with the couplers if you remove the bottom plate. The biggest challenge is fitting the standing motor into the tram shell.

ps: An easier way is to get one more middle cog as the cog could go in place of the middle wheel and the middle wheel can go in place of the back driving wheel. Instant and easily reversable conversion into a 2 axle rodless chassis.

The loco that was sent to me is a 0-6-0 but it does not have a vertical standing motor that I expected it to have.  The motor is longitudinal and very large.

It is the NEW 5 pole type, so I suppose is better, but not for my purposes.  This motor would take up the whole inside of the tram, with no room left for the seats, which is the attraction here.

I'll have to do a lot more looking to see if there is anything I can use.

Maybe, for now, I will find a 4 wheel freight car and just use the tram as a static display.  Not my idea of modelling trains.

Gerry

Could you post a photo? All older ones, including 3 and 5 pole types had the standing motor so far. The same standing motor was also used for the small rodded v60 diesel. Maybe this could be a new development?