Landslip Makes Railfans Run

Bob_NZ

When part of the Yamakaigan line was blocked recently, freight and express services were either cancelled or took a longer route. But the local passenger service was able to continue scheduled services via an industrial line. Only two stations could not be covered and a bus service was provided for them.

The diversion route was unique as it went over the Kuroiwa wooden trestle bridge - probably the only one in use in the country. The lightweight Kiha loco was well within the bridge's load ratings. Rail fans flocked to see this rare event during the 6 days it ran. The Yamakaigan is already renowned for its collection of vintage and preserved trains, as well as it's unique code share arrangement with neighbouring railway companies allowing sharing of lines and services.

I was able to film one of the first runs using the diversion. I was a little disappointed that there was not a stop at the bridge for photo opportunities but I have included a clip taken from the roadside. I did not film the very first part of the route as I wanted to conserve the camera's battery.

Enjoy!

Edited by gcmr_new_zealand
Fixed YouTube embed
  • Like 13

Wow that is awesome! Love the sound effects and cab window, even the rocking motion and reflections in the tunnel,all very well done. Where was this filmed? Your railway or a club one? Very impressed!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's a home layout that I have dabbled with over a 10 year period, with a lot of work still needed - not trying to be prototypical nor perfect - just enjoying the hobby.  

Seeing the layout through the lens for the first time was a real buzz - especially the areas not designed for viewing.  I have noticed the trackside debris complete with mouse droppings and dead ants.  Track maintenance can be such fun! 

With the video I am just going for the effect rather than perfection but filming does add a new dimension to what is already a broad ranging hobby and adds a practical purpose to the tracks and trains. 

Using a camera with even a circle of track can extend the enjoyment, as things take on a new life. 

Great layout! It really looks like a cab ride, along with the cabin view and all... The speed is also very nicely adjusted. Great job and thanks for sharing!  

Very impressive with all the effects and announcement voice! This is truly a great reward for a ten year effort. This makes creating a realistic looking landscape and logical track setup so much more worthwhile.

Gcmr,

Fantastic layout! Also kudos on the video that is really impressive! Do you have a track plan you could post?

I was traveling last week and on low bandwidth and couldn't watch the movie till now!

Cheers

Jeff

Ps the YouTube embed is auto with the forum software if you use the generic YouTube link they provide in the email version. The youtu.be will not auto embed and the link on mobile devices of m.youtube.com need the m. Removed. The embed code for YouTube for web pages does not work with the forum software nor the video link in the embed code. Sorry it can be a hassle to get the right link that the forum software will auto embed but the one in the email link usually works. If it's not working I usually can kick it to get it to function so no worries!

Edited by cteno4

Wow, awesome setup! You must spend ages cleaning track lol. What software are you using to run the railway? It looks like it is fully automated, pretty sure I saw some IR sensors in tunnels in the first video? Can't believe your track plan needs 4 screens lol... pretty damn impressive :)

This link takes you to my original concept plan drawn up 10 years ago.   I never needed a more detailed plan as I just let it develop and I improved on it as I went along.

http://www.macrodyn.com/ldsig/wiki/index.php?title=Yamakai_-_N_-_Bob_Wright

I run it with Railroad & Co software and I think that I am their only user that still fully runs on the now 'old fashion 'analog - CTI and RCI hardware.  Yep, track cleaning is a major, but I can restrict my running to particular tracks eg my Tokkaido line; commuter line; coastal or mountain line.  The Shinkansen line is not in use yet so still plenty to do.

I don't know what I can add that hasn't been posted already.....yes I can, it's an amazing video and layout....I felt like I was traveling on the line.

Loved to have seen photos of the bench work as you were making it.

Incredible!!

Awesome animation and audio, I'd love to be able to do that one day!

Do you mind me asking where in NZ you are? Very keen to have a look!