JR East "station numbering" introduction

JR East, anticipation of the holding of the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2020, including foreign tourists visiting Japan, easy to understand by everyone, to be able to use the railway with peace of mind, the "station numbering" to the Tokyo metropolitan area Introduce. 
 In addition, according to the introduction of the station numbering, to implement the four languages ​​(Japan, China and South Korea UK) representation of the running in board. 
 JR East Tokyo branch office, in order to start the introduction of the "station numbering" from the Yamanote Line Meguro Station.

◆ Overview
 Since ready for renovation, in order to start the introduction of the "station numbering" to the Tokyo metropolitan area starting with the Yamanote Line Meguro Station.

◆ introduction starting location
 Yamanote Line Meguro Station Home Station Name Plate, Home pillars running in board

◆ start time
 from August 20, 2016 (Saturday) the first power

About the introduction of the station numbering]

◆ subject Station
 Tokyo branch office within 78 station (Reference: every station of the Tokyo metropolitan area 276 Station train specific section (E power section))

◆ display method
for display using the line color you are setting the combination of ① route sign (two alphabetic characters) and the station number (2-digit number) for each line. 
② The main transfer station, in addition to the route sign, and the station number, to display the "three letter code" representing the station name in the alphabet three characters.

http://rail.hobidas.com/news/info/article/jr_127.html

Japanese language PDF

http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2016/tokyo/20160804_t01.pdf

This photo already shows that this may not be a very good idea: https://twitter.com/aya_yoshi_711/status/768320466415038464

The station name sign is now crammed full with confusing marks and station names in different languages that it becomes incredibly confusing. I really doubt writing in Chinese is necessary because kanji should be easier for them to recognize than other non-Japanese-speaking persons, and for most other people the romaji/latin alphabet will suffice.

Not to forget that I don't see the point in numbering stations anyway; what's wrong with plainly remembering the station name?

• Like 1

Not to forget that I don't see the point in numbering stations anyway; what's wrong with plainly remembering the station name?

I would assume there is issues with non-resident pronunciation of station names.  A number is easier to convey.

That's true, but I wonder how many people will actually use it. A mistake between JB03 and JC03 is quickly made, while a station name will only occur one, at least in a certain region that is. It may sound useful, but I at least don't think it really is. I think it makes things overcomplicated, but we'll see.

bikkuri bahn

I reckon this numbering scheme is not really about difficulty with individual station names, but rather making some sense of the complicated network and numerous lines, especially for visitors with limited experience riding public transit or living in cities where the system is rudimentary or based on alphanumeric or color coding nomeclature.  Personally I have no use for the system, and as Densha mentioned, it make signs more cluttered and the on-train recorded announcements, already overly long, even more so.

Let's make it easier by making the signs more complicated. :icon_scratch:

Do the Chinese really find it that hard to read romanji letters?  I think it's aimed more at the growing number of people from all over who can't read timetables and maps anymore than those with different languages.

• Like 2

On the plus side (for me) I can restart my adhoc Hangul studies - as it's a structured writing system it's possible to decipher what the individual elements represent if you have the pronunciation available, and there seems to be a fairly close match with the Japanese syllabary. I used to while away the time when I commuted on the Keikyu line doing that...

• Like 1

As far as I know, in Tobu Tojo line, the station number is only mentioned in the English version of in-train announcement.

I think this system does really intended for foreigners

This numbering scheme is also easier on the staff as they are able to say/write down the required stations numbers and it's shorter to write 'go from JC01 to JC03, then go to platform for JC17 and get off at JC11. Saying go from Tokyo to Ochanomizu, then go to the platform for Suidobashi (local) and get off at Yoyogi would be harder for some tourists, while railfans would probably find the second easier.

Reviving an old thread with this image showing the evolution of the Atami station name board during the past three years. The clutter is just awful to look at. It has become very difficult to grasp the station name in just one quick glance, which is the main purpose of a sign like this.

• Confused 2

If nothing else, make the main station name larger and bolder.   In the example set of signs, if "Atami" were larger and bolder font, it would be more obvious that that was the station name (for foreigners).   The rest is useful info and as long as it does not draw attention to itself, is fine for those who need specific details.

The romanji text is big enough.

Japan is probably the only place that supports four different languages on their railway sign.

It is just rude to expect them to cater any further considering they are going above and beyond anything any other country would do.

I was referring to readability in general, and then about the Japanese text specifically. If I were to commute on the Tokaido Line and had to get off at 熱海 it would now take me a couple of seconds longer to figure out what station I am than in 2016. Not only because of the added Chinese and Korean text, but also because of the (in my opinion) unnecessary station numbering signs and the distracting Izu Craile decoration. JR East's customer base exists largely of commuters, and should thus cater to these people instead of the occasional tourist. Their marketing department probably thought otherwise...

Honestly I feel that the station numbering program will make this much easier.  Even on US systems where all the signage is in large English I find it much easier to know when to get off or transfer when the stops are numbered in order rather than just remembering the station name.  The fact that the station numbers are in color helps the eye find them quickly.  The extra decorations are somewhat unnecessary though. My biggest issue with Japanese signage has been that the signs tell you the next station, rather than the end direction.  If I don't know the line it is sometimes hard to know what platform I should be on.  (LA metro also has a huge problem with this, where they swap platform directions at some stations randomly so you often have a mad dash to make it to the other side where your train ended up.)

I personally find remembering station names much easier than station numbers, but that is just because I am much better with letters than with numbers. I can imagine this being the opposite for other people. So I also think the numbering could be beneficial, but the way it is applied to the station name boards is just not well. I am also very keen on minimalistic design, so that does not help either...

Slightly veering off on a tangent, but I've felt that replacing route maps in the cars with video screens are also less convenient. You can instantly see everything with a map, but you have to wait for the video to show the information that you need, if it does show it. Last week while riding on the Yamanote Line, Softbank had a software failure so my ipad was inoperable. I wanted to transfer to the to go to Hiroo Station.  What station to get off and which line to use? Listening to the announcement didn't help, and as I was on a rush, I ended up getting back on the train three times and was told that I was looking for the wrong line by the ticket person. 

Sometimes, when I'm riding the train, the announcement you need is drowned out at the station by passing trains or you have to wait for the announcement to be repeated if you miss it the first time. If you are in a crowded train, your car will not stop next to a station sign or the windows will be fogged. If you are on an express and want to know if the station you want is next, and should get off to transfer to a local, the announcer will give you the information for the next station as you are leaving the station.

Most stations will have a TV screen showing information. The JR stations TV screens near the ticket turnstiles and will show lines that are stopped and delayed, but they scroll showing rail line by line in Japanese, then Korean and finally English, and by the tines it gets to English, the screen will often replace it with a JR Logo and you might miss info on the line that you may be interested in. 

Grant

1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

Honestly I feel that the station numbering program will make this much easier.  Even on US systems where all the signage is in large English I find it much easier to know when to get off or transfer when the stops are numbered in order rather than just remembering the station name.  The fact that the station numbers are in color helps the eye find them quickly.  The extra decorations are somewhat unnecessary though. My biggest issue with Japanese signage has been that the signs tell you the next station, rather than the end direction.

As well as the destination indicators there are usually signs showing the train destination(s) suspended from the platform roof, perpendicular to the tracks, and hence easier to see when standing on the platform than the station nameboard signs, which are better viewed from a train than the platform (if you're on the platform you usually have a pretty good idea of what station you're at anyway). Though I find in some cases the various destination indicators/signs are obscured by clocks, stairs etc. or just too far away, which can be annoying, especially if you're on one of those lines with trains of different lengths and need to work out what part of the platform to stand on.