New book: N Gauge layout Plan 50

Jeff,

I followed your instructions and just ordered mine.  Five -six days with expedited delivery.

If I used my Amazon US account, I would have had to pay $50+ and $4 delivery, with delivery in 4-5 weeks.

Yeah it was only $10 on Amazon.jp for the Dhl (actually they just said Amazon world shipping) and it was 3 days! Wayy cheaper than EMS would have been and as fast or even faster than EMS has been to DC lately. Like old times. I need to see if it's the deal again where additional books are a lot cheaper so you can get the shipping way down then if you have a few books to order, actually the $10 was cheaper than the 1400 yen for the first book it use to be (then 300 yen for each additional).

Cheers

Jeff

Okay, last attempt at layout 13 with a little twist. Left out the central depot in favour of scenery (and a Tomytec Bus system), but added two hidden storage tracks under the elevated terminal station. Max. grade is 6.6%, which is steep, but not killing motors.

Screen_Shot_2016_10_12_at_9_11_14.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_12_at_9_11_24.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_12_at_9_11_52.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_12_at_9_11_59.png

Circle_layout12.png

Size is about 1800 x 730 mm, which makes it quite feasible as a wall home layout (just make sure the back can be reached via being able to roll the layout out or have the hidden tracks accessible otherwise.

P.s. I really should start a small website with these kind of plans...

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 4

I think you can also easily add a bunch of storage stub tracks on B1F.

True, but the trouble is always how to reach those tracks when things go wrong and how to clean them. Granted, dust is harder to get there, but you still need to do manual cleaning from time to time, as well as have to deal with derailments and stalling trains.

Here's two pics from this book of layouts that I believe aren't posted in this thread yet:

https://twitter.com/yayotcha/status/749054531770593280

https://twitter.com/yayotcha/status/755930666999488512

I'm seriously thinking about getting this book, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't better spend it on models for now instead of on books for layouts that I won't be building any time soon.

Ooh, I like the little mining layout! I can exactly see where they're going for with the empties-in loaded-out style operations. You can have some crude and realistic freight operation on a very small space. That gets me thinking about my own layout now... :/

Densha,

it is a nice book and if you can pick it up while in japan you wont have shipping cost! but you probably will be bringing extra suitcases home full of trains! maybe see second hand?

its nice to have a few layout books like this when you dont have a layout as you can do some dreaming now and then and let ideas rumble around in the parallel processing of the subconscious to better get you to what you may want later in a layout. i see so many folks get to starting a layout and realize they really have not thought through what they may want at all in a layout and then have to do it fast to get started and that can cause missteps...

cheers

jeff

Until now I've only been buying second hand. Most trains I want are not in production any more unfortunately. I have some some niche tastes. Second hand is definitely not that expensive at all, even if you're looking at niche models. Anyway, I'll try to keep buying stuff to the minimum and just ship it home by SAL parcels if it doesn't fit into my luggage.

If I come across the book in a shop or need to place an order at Amazon at some point I'll probably get it. It looks like too much fun to skip out on.

A long time ago I initiated this thread. I bought books on Amazon.co.jp several times with my U.S. Amazon Prime and had it shipped at a very reasonable cost by DHL. I have ordered something this past Sunday PM and is due to arrive Wednesday PM. And it is during the Christmas rush!

And now for something different:

What surprise me about this thread is the complete disregard of the value of copyrighted material and the free posting of copied illustrations. As a published author, I would hate to see my articles or illustrations/pictures reproduced and published on the Web without permission.

Cheers.

amszterpeter

Amszterpeter,

Thanks, we understand your concerns and is the main reason why we have implemented the new guidelines to address this.

My last Amazon book purchase was almost a japan shipping record for me as well a couple of months back! Faster than EMS in the last few years. The shipping seems more reasonable now at about $10-11 ( it was higher there for a while) for a book and it come sooo fast!

Jeff

Very sporty of you! To be honest, I haven't bought this book yet, mostly because it was on this thread mostly. Despite me being a published author as well, I don't feel too bad about this phenomenon. However, I think now I'll probably will purchase this book! The new guidelines (and general copyright law) do really make sense in all fairness. ;)