Gerry's Z Scale 260 X 89 cm Layout

gerryo

post-2768-0-67305100-1471293419_thumb.jpg

This starts the Build Phase of my Z scale layout.  I have a plan - subject to improvements - and a box of Z scale Rokuhan track, a station, and some other things that I have forgotten about.

The size has changed again because I received the missing parts for the table, which makes it longer but remains 69 cm wide so I can still reach across.

My first task is to put the table together, which is relatively simple.  A bunch of pieces of aluminium with plastic connectors and a handful of very tiny screws, which are appropriate for Z scale.  Then it's off to the builder's supply for the Styrofoam for the top, and some 1x2 for bracing.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo
  • Like 3

I just received my first Japanese Z Scale train.  It is the Rokuhan 115-1000 Nigata, with interior lighting kit.  WOW, it's small.

So now have to get on with the build.  I have the 1x2 support frame finished and now need the Styrofoam.  HS got ahead of me.

And I got the lights in.  I'll try them out tomorrow.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo

post-2768-0-15670600-1472081820_thumb.jpg

I still have to get the support legs for the control panel, and the 2 curved turnouts, but as you can see , it works as is.  I even had to turn it the other way around but that was easy with the AnyRail program's flip function.

Gerry

I just received my DE10 1500 B Cold Area Loco along with 2 tank cars and 4 container cars complete with containers.

I guess I'll soon have to do some work on this layout.  My problem here is that the building supply stores do not stock Styrofoam this time of year.  So no one has even 1 sheet for me to buy.  They're holding up my life.

Gerry

I just received my DE10 1500 B Cold Area Loco along with 2 tank cars and 4 container cars complete with containers.

I guess I'll soon have to do some work on this layout.  My problem here is that the building supply stores do not stock Styrofoam this time of year.  So no one has even 1 sheet for me to buy.  They're holding up my life.

Gerry

Check Home Depot if you have one nearby, my local one carries a 2' X 8' X 3/4" sheet for around $9 year round. Its a dense (pink) Styrofoam used under siding.

last ditch place to find extruded polystyrene foam sheets is companies that install walk in friges as they use it for insulation. its the place found in places in the us that dont use it for home insulation (due to local weather and codes).

its funny for years our maryland home depots did not carry it but go over the boarder a couple of miles to virginia and they had it!

jeff

I'll go across the river to Quebec and see if the same thing happens here.  No harm in trying.  It's only about 2 miles.

Gerry

I now have my Styrofoam.  It took about 5 minutes at Home Depot in Quebec.  They even cut it accurately , the way I wanted.

Gerry

post-2768-0-13710200-1473343335_thumb.jpg

For the reason that my Baden-Baden layout has been delayed until we move to a new abode, I have used the tables and right extension piece to expand on this one.  Our move could be two years down the road so I will use this time to make a unique Z scale diorama.

There was not space before to Use any tunnels on here, but now the new section is nothing but tunnels, and a unique surface theme.  Final construction of the plan will happen this week, then the diorama starts.

Gerry

I got all the track into the tunnels in the extension section.  Next is to work out the connections and slopes between the two parts and work out the ovals and small yard.

The two sections are not quite the same height at both connections so need some WS inclines to make them meet where the tracks exit. 

Something that worries me is the fact that Rokuhan have no easement track to change from flat straight track to superelevated curves.  How is this going to work?

Gerry

I woke up at 3 am this morning with a looming fear that I had done something wrong on the layout.  At about 6 am, I figured out what it was.

I had built in a reverse loop.    In all my years of modelling I hav never purposely used a reverse loop.  Yesterday I built one in without thinking.

A remedy has been found.  Rokuhan has a reverse loop switch that fixes this easily.  At 8 am I had ordered it and now I can go back to sleep.

Gerry

• Like 2

You could always change the left reverse loop into just an internal loop on the left table. That way you could do a/b block wiring and then have a train running on the left loop while you played with moving trains around in the yard and lines on the right side.

Reversing loops do require you to carefully noodle thru the plan, live rails, power routing, wiring and your electical operations. But as Martijn said they do add interesting operations than plain loops.

Jeff

The track on the left table is almost all in tunnels, so wouldn't be any advantage to be a separate loop.  The wiring will be worked out by Rokuhan's switch.

Gerry

You'll need two double isolators on the crossing track. Also you have to throw the switch and reverse the controller exactly at the same time if you don't want to stop the train.

post-2768-0-49193400-1474303697_thumb.jpg

I have made further adjustments, and been able to get rid of the reverse loop.  The two loops are now compatible and all I had to do was make a new tunnel mouth into the lower right side of the extension and connect up the two loops the right way.

Maybe I had a dream and worked it out.

Gerry

• Like 1

post-2768-0-64737400-1474475805_thumb.jpg

I was also informed this morning that my Z scale 500 EVA Shinkansen is in stock and being packaged for shipment.  Probable delivery in a couple of weeks.  Exitement looms.

Also, yesterday I received a 1/500 scale model of the Himeji Castle.  And I thought that Z scale was small.  Oh well, something else to do on those long winter nights.

Gerry

• Like 2

post-2768-0-23067900-1476195933_thumb.jpg

So, with the new apartment looming, and of course new dimensions of my train room, I have to change things again.  This plan to use Z scale in the Baden-Baden layout has to change and go back to N scale.

A plan has emerged for Z and will be totally new.  When I got the first Noch layout pieces, I also bought a layout made by Twix, which was their idea of modular N layout.  I got it real cheap, and it has been sitting here in boxes ever since.  So this will be adapted to Z scale and will fit along a wall anywhere.  The modules are 34 inches long by 17 inches wide.  Plenty of room for Z, with a reversing loop at one end.  It would have been better if it had a loop at both ends, but this was the last one in captivity so had to make do. 

I have now done a plan in Z for these modules, and added 2 of my own, to form loops at each end.  I have also added in a possible viaduct in the middle because Rokuhan are now developing this for our use.  It's a lot of track,but what else are experiments for?

The large grey area is where the N layout might fit, in the same room.

gerryo

I just received the second shipment of the 500 EVA.  Beautiful set.  Now to make something for it to run on.

This log will be combined with my N scale log from now on.  It will be named Gerry's Train Room.

gerryo

• Like 1