Saying goodbye to Japanese HO Trains

serotta1972

I am sad to say that I am selling my small Japanese HO Trains collection.  It just didn't make sense to double up on trains in 2 different scales.  I will instead redirect my HO train collecting to Marklin German Era III trains.

I will continue to visit and admire the beautiful HO Japanese trains. :)

• Like 1

Maerklin H0? All i can say is 'Beware of the nailroad!' (the current 3rd rail Maerklin system uses small nail like pegs instead of a 3rd rail, but it's incompatible with pretty much everything else, including rolling stock, track and control systems)

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with kvp.  I won't touch the Marklin AC 3rd rail studs with a 10 foot pole.  Buy Roco or Fleischmann instead.  They pretty much produce the same stuff as Marklin a lot of the time anyway.

Yes, modern Trix H0 trains are usually two-rail version of Märklin models.

I also suggest going with two-rail, simply because there's so much more available for two-rail than for three-rail. Not only Fleischmann and Roco, but also brands such as Piko and many others are two-rail. And as I just said Märklin models are usually also available under the Trix brand. Not to forget that the track looks much better without the 'nails'.

• Like 1

Yes, modern Trix H0 trains are usually two-rail version of Märklin models.

That's right. Trix releases DC versions of everything Märklin offers. Before the acquisition of Trix they used to do that on their own under the Märklin HAMO brand.

I know we already talked about this, Serotta, but I'd also recommend regular DC H0. Not only will you have a wider variety of models and accessories available, but it will also be a lot easier on your wallet.

I also don't like the Märklin track at all, for reasons already stated here. In fact, as someone without an actual layout, I really like the Roco track a lot!

I suspect what's driving this is Serotta having already bought one Märklin set with track.  While I realize the obvious inclination is to expand on that, as everyone else says, in the long run it makes more sense to just keep (or sell) that as a separate set and approach HO from the more logical and flexible perspective.

If you wanted a project, perhaps you could convert the existing engine to two-rail pickup ;-)

Thanks for the intervention guys and for looking out. The Marklin seed was planted many many years ago and it's sort of a novelty item for me, maybe I shouldn't have used the word collecting as I will not be doing that like Im doing with the Japanese trains. I just want some HO trains to play with at times and satisfy that need I had for a long time and like Velotrain said, I had already purchased a Starter set and at most I will be getting a freight train. Thanks always for your sharing your insights, I really appreciate it.