Railfanning in Warsaw. Some questions.

Socimi

I'm going for a week in Warsaw in late august but i have some questions:

1) It's forbidden to take Photos or videos of trains (includes Metro and Trams) in poland? Is reqired a special permit?

I ask this because in many countries railfanning is forbidden unless you've a special permit from the railway company.

By the way my equipment will be a simple entry-level handcam. No tripods. And i'll made photos by a public accessible area (like station platforms).

2) Where can i find EN57s in the Warsaw area?

3) Is there any method to completely avoid the Siemens Inspiro train and thus the Whole Line 2 Metro?

4) What are the differences (in terms of services, lines and fares) between KM (Koleje Mazowieckie) and SKM (Szybka Kolej Miejska) ?

Edited by DavideTreni

I have taken pictures of trains and trams in Krakow earlier today without any problems. The staff has seen me but no reaction from their side.

Edited by Kitayama

Having some experience visiting Poland a few times, taking pictures is allowed and I've never been approached by security and/or staff for this.

bikkuri bahn

Poland: a reasonable and sane country. An aside, about ten days ago, I was told by a NY MTA employee I couldn't take pictures of a subway train at the Middle Village Metropolitan Ave terminus. Which is complete BS. I just moved to another station and took my pics, unmolested.

Nick_Burman

Poland: a reasonable and sane country. An aside, about ten days ago, I was told by a NY MTA employee I couldn't take pictures of a subway train at the Middle Village Metropolitan Ave terminus. Which is complete BS. I just moved to another station and took my pics, unmolested.

Next time, print and take the photography  guidelines which are available on the NYCTA page - "here madam/sir, some bedtime reading for you" - and stuff it under their noses.

Cheers NB

Nick_Burman

In theory railfan photography is still not permitted within stations in Italy, but nobody pays attention anymore to the rule...in my last trip I took picutres under the nose of the railway police and they never bothered me. Train drivers were exceedingly nice at times - as soon as they see someone on the platform with a camera it's a wave, a honk on the horn or both....

Cheers NB

In theory railfan photography is still not permitted within stations in Italy, but nobody pays attention anymore to the rule...

Well, it's not that simple... i may make a thread about it soon or later...

1) No idea, I never had any problems. My friend in Warsaw does also occasionally take photos and never encountered any problems.

I got called out by a security guard in the Metro station. But in the end he just wanted to see my ticket. They do take security really serious in the Metro, so it's suspicious if someone's loitering around the station.

If you're interested in trams, I recommend visiting the old city center. There are some really nice places to take photos. I recommend Plac Zbawiciela. Historic trams, like Konstal 13N from the 1960s can also be seen quite frequently.

Also you don't need to bother visiting the Warsaw Railway Museum. While their collection is great, it's sadly permanently closed since March 2016.

2) I never saw any EN57 at Warszawa Centralna. But Warszawa Wileńska is absolute EN57 territory.

3) They are a lot less ugly if you're sitting inside them. ;^)

post-3895-0-16392400-1480577726_thumb.jpg

post-3895-0-78370100-1480577753_thumb.jpg

Edited by Suica

Hi. I from other city, but I can try help.

1- You can make video and photos without permit

2- EN57 You can find anywhere

4- SKM is railway inside the city, but KM is inside county. They have other prices and terms.

Thanks all for the info!

I've already been to warsaw, in late August.

I took lots of videos, mainly Metro trains at Raclawika station on the M1 (All the Metro fleet) and PKP trains at Most Gdanski with the Stadium Narodny in the background.

Also a Konstal 105N and a Pesa Low-Floor in Madalinskego.

I might open a thread about it.

Edited by DavideTreni