kami_illy

Small B-Train Layout

Martijn Meerts

Really interesting way of testing the design. 

Which 3D tool are you using? And how do you know it’s printed at the correct scale? 

cteno4

Great prototyping!

jeff

• Thanks 1

kami_illy
14 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

Really interesting way of testing the design. 

Which 3D tool are you using? And how do you know it’s printed at the correct scale? 

The 3D model is made with sketchup. It's buildt  in scale already (so i can put in measurements of buildings/tracks etc... without having to calculate). The base of the layout has exact measurements, so the jpg or pdf being exported from sketchup, can be scaled pretty precisely in photoshop. Then you just need to print in 100% and the result should be pretty accurate. At least good enough to do some mock-ups...

Martijn Meerts

Ah nice.. Never really got into sketchup myself, but I've used 3ds max and maya quite a bit in the past. I've been thinking about doing a 3d version of my plans as well, so might give sketchup a look. Also been looking at blender, which has come a long way for a free program.

kami_illy

Yeah. professionally i also work with ArchiCAD, VectorWorks, etc... but sketchup has the big advantage of being super simple and therefor fast. 3ds max, cinema, blender and so on are extremely good but i feel they are too complex for this kind of modelling/rendering. 

Also in my free time i don't want to use the same programs i am using at work all day long 😉

cteno4

I really like your foam core space filling models, great way to help the final visualizations.

jeff

• Thanks 1

kami_illy

Found some more pieces of foam board and continued with the study of the spaces... very satisfying. 

1.thumb.jpg.23144270ac5d3dae4a94d4b7b2393656.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.1af4b4f9c7beeb6f6292f51dc25bb2bc.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.9ec122b454f10f6a898ab364577f77ea.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.3b8b385b60504fbbfbce445e43264a32.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.08ca22dd1030e052bc62c3f598c57990.jpg

• Like 3

cteno4

Simple space forms are so satisfying to study like this. Hits a totally different spot In the brain than doing cad.

jeff