Route of the Tomiiden - station names?

Nick_Burman

Nick_Burman

Hi all,

On the lower left-hand corner of this poster there is a little map:

CoVS0pcVYAEWA-z.jpg

This is the route of the Tomiiden, Tomix's free-lanced private railway. Would it be possible for some kind soul to please translate the station names (including those of the narrow gauge division, the red line) for me? Since I took up the Tomiiden theme for my railway I would like to use the station names

Cheers NB

• Like 2

Nick, I gave this a try.  These are just my guesses, the only one I looked up was Shinbaru, I was thinking Shinbara.  It turns out it is a real station.  Other ones may be real stations too.  I look forward to corrections from the Japanese speakers on the board.  If there are less than 10 errors, I'll be happy :grin

gallery_286_117_19270.png

Edited by miyakoji
  • Like 4

Here you go, best guesses at pronunciation (though anything with 本町 in it could be pronounced different ways):

[港線 - Minato/Port Line]
曹達前 Soude-mae ?
県道 Kendou (Prefectural Road)
市場 Ichiba (Market)

[本線 - Main Line]
電鉄町中 Dentetsu Machinaka
本町 Honchou or Honmachi or Motomachi
宮ノ下 Miyanoshita
大川橋 Ookawahashi
大森車庫 Oomori-Shako
西富 Nishitomi
八日市 Youkaichi
富井 Tomii
丸山 Maruyama
永井寺 Nagaidera Eiseiji (no way you'd get this one without knowing it)
北村 Kitamura
北高前 Kitakoumae
小金沢 Kokanazawa
山根 Yamane
木村温泉 Kimura Onsen

[薬師線 - Yakushi Line]
薬師前 Yakushi-mae

[犬山線 - Inuyama Line]
東畑 Higashibatake
新原 Niihara
観音口 Kannonguchi
犬山 Inuyama
奥畑 Higashibatake
峠山 Tougeyama / Tougezan
赤坂 Akasaka

[猫屋線 - Nekoya Line]
新本町 Shin-Honchou or Honmachi or Motomachi
桜土手 Sakura-Dote
新田 Niida
稲荷前 Inari-mae
原口 Haraguchi
大野 Oono

笠井 Kasai
大杉本郷 Oosugi-hongou?
大原山 Ooharayama
猫屋 Nekoya

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 3

Nick, I gave this a try.  These are just my guesses, the only one I looked up was Shinbaru, I was thinking Shinbara.  It turns out it is a real station.  Other ones may be real stations too.  I look forward to corrections from the Japanese speakers on the board.  If there are less than 10 errors, I'll be happy :grin

attachicon.gifnb_line_map.png

Whoops, didn't see your graphic there. Looks pretty much correct, as far as one can ever be sure about Japanese place names.

I would have guessed "Niihara", never heard of Shinbaru before (but then neither would most Japanese people know it)... "Eiseiji" is a new one...

A couple of others are ambiguous, 新田 could be Niida or Shinden.

Hmm, so "曹達" is a transliteration of soda (as in the carbonised beverage)? Never knew that before.

Edited by railsquid

There are plenty of interpretations of some of the placenames on the Tomii Dentetsu maps, as most of them have two different possible transcribations, as well as possible regional interpretations.

Writing this from a mobile phone, I can't make a map/graph with all the possible results, but for now what has been transcribed has been accurate. Until Tomytec discloses the correct transcribations, this is all up for interpretation.

Most names seem like real stations from the lines the train collection cars are from, including some long closed ones.

東畑 Higashibatake....   Not Higashihata or Tohata?

奥畑 Higashibatake....  I think this should be Okuhata

大杉本郷 - I would have suggested Oo sugimoto sato

Edited by VJM

東畑 Higashibatake.... Not Higashihata or Tohata?

奥畑 Higashibatake.... I think this should be Okuhata

大杉本郷 - I would have suggested Oo sugimoto sato

Toubata, Okubata and Oosugihongou would be more accurate.

Good heavens, 畑 in a place name is "-hata"... something else I've never noticed all these years.

Sitting in silence...

i51c786c528afc.jpg

Gah, and I've been mentally pronouncing it "Ichibatake Dentetsu" all these years... Well by all these years I mean the last couple since I regained a deeper interest in trains.

Whoops, didn't see your graphic there. Looks pretty much correct, as far as one can ever be sure about Japanese place names.

I would have guessed "Niihara", never heard of Shinbaru before (but then neither would most Japanese people know it)... "Eiseiji" is a new one...

A couple of others are ambiguous, 新田 could be Niida or Shinden.

Hmm, so "曹達" is a transliteration of soda (as in the carbonised beverage)? Never knew that before.

Squid, I think Niihara and Niida are probably better readings for those two, although I'm familiar with (and have been to) places like Niimi and Niihama, those possibilities didn't cross my mind.  Shimbaru is an actual station in Fukuoka-ken https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinbaru_Station .  I originally guessed Shinbara.  That it ends with ru instead could be a regional reading, as Toni said.

As for Eiseiji/Nagaidera, again I'm leaning towards your reading rather than mine.  For some reason I always think of On readings for Buddhist temples, I didn't even think of the possibility of using the Kun readings.  Also, I wrote and rewrote my post and map a few times :), in fact I did look this up in addition to Shimbaru, Soda-mae (I couldn't read this at all), and Tougeyama.  I was pretty sure about touge, but I couldn't remember if it was touge or tooge.  It stuck in my head that this is a Japanese-made kanji, so I thought it was worth double checking the reading.

Toni mentioned above that Tomytec hasn't published readings of these, it'll be interesting to see it if they do.

Did anyone try to match the names with existing and closed station names? Because that would make finding the pronunciation easier. I'm pretty sure all names on the map are or were real stations.

As for Eiseiji/Nagaidera, again I'm leaning towards your reading rather than mine.  For some reason I always think of On readings for Buddhist temples, I didn't even think of the possibility of using the Kun readings. 

I must admit to being very sceptical when I saw "Eiseiji", as "Nagai" is a common name, and never realised "セイ" is a possible reading of 井 (albeit not one of the standard ones, or even non-standard but in common use). But a quick google for "永井寺" produces basically one meaningful location with that name, "Eiseiji" in Ibaraki. Of course, we don't know what Tomytec is intending...

Japanese, the language impossible for even native speakers to read perfectly...

Nick_Burman

Goodness me, have I said that the folks in this forum really rock? Thanks guys for the help; railsquid, I saved your interpretation for further use.

One more question... does 車庫 shako in 大森車庫 Oomori-Shako mean car-barn, depot (as in Arakawa Shako-mae on the Arakawa line in Tokyo)? Because if it does I'll need to rethink my layout...

Cheers NB

And the exact name is used by a bus depot near the Haneda airport. So on a fantasy layout, that could be a bus depot along the line and doesn't have to be a rail yard.

I'd like to point out that in Japan many placenames are recycled in different locations. The Oomori Shako is not only used in Tokyo, but is also a bus stop in Nagoya, near the Toumei Expressway and the Meitetsu Setou line. Next to that, I wonder just how many bus stops have Hachiman in their name (a very common shrine name).

• Like 2
Nick_Burman

Again, I would like to give a big hearty thanks to the collective brains of the forum for the help. I went to bed at 3AM yesterday (and almost didn't shut my eyes) just thinking about the modelling possibilities unveiled with the map - layout ideas, track layouts at stations, services, corporate history, the works... However I have again another couple of questions...the very thin line is the map is, I suppose, a bus line. Am I correct reading the characters that it is a railway-owned bus route? What does it say next to it? Also, what is that mine/mine cart symbol on the top right-hand corner about? Mining, I suppose...

Cheers NB

• Like 1

Again, I would like to give a big hearty thanks to the collective brains of the forum for the help. I went to bed at 3AM yesterday (and almost didn't shut my eyes) just thinking about the modelling possibilities unveiled with the map - layout ideas, track layouts at stations, services, corporate history, the works... However I have again another couple of questions...the very thin line is the map is, I suppose, a bus line. Am I correct reading the characters that it is a railway-owned bus route? What does it say next to it? Also, what is that mine/mine cart symbol on the top right-hand corner about? Mining, I suppose...

It says "自動車線", which is a somewhat old-fashioned way of saying railway-owned bus route. The line at the top right is indeed a mining railway, 鉱山線 (Kousanzen) leading to the Akasaka Mine (赤坂鉱山).

Are you talking about the Meitetsu Seto Line? In that case, it's not Setou, but just Seto. ;)

Anything west of Mt. Fuji is a world of wonder and mystery to me. There be dragons, Mitooka Eiji, and Thomas the Tank Engine.

• Like 2