Buying from Japan into the UK

buckingham

Firstly let me set out that I am new to this modelling lark but with a couple of grandchildren as an excuse for buying some trains :angel5: I have begun and have been most tempted by the Japanese models - high quality and, to my mind, good value for money, even at the present poor exchange rate.

I have purchased a couple of emus and a freight loco with some trailers and have a fair amount of track

It seems  possible to get a fair choice of Kato rolling stock in the UK, but there are models that I have seen in the Kato catalogue which are attractive and which can be sourced from Japan.

Also there are Tomix and MicroAce models which do not seem available in the UK but are in Japan.

The forum mentions a few Japaneses suppliers and the general feeling is that they are reliable.

I have never purchased anything  from outside the UK and am a bit nervous of committing my credit card :)

But, for instance and only as an example, I can get E655 Kato 10-1123 for about £140 in UK , inc postage, and on the ModelTrainPlus site it is 15840yen with 3200yen postage, which at today's rate is about £135

A KATO 10-1110 - Series E657 is 14850 yen on ModelTrainPlus

So in monetary terms, I would seem not to be too badly off by buying direct.

I know that this type of query has been covered to some extent but I am looking for some comfort from fellow UK collectors who buy regularly from and have experience of Japanese suppliers.

Also whether some suppliers are easier to deal with e.g. dealing with queries and giving advice in English

Any basic and encouraging advice welcome!

Remember to add in your VAT and customs charges to your calculations when buying overseas for UK buyers.

Buying from Japanese online retailers is fine.  We all do it many times every year.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Thanks katoftw

Remember to add in your VAT and customs charges to your calculations when buying overseas for UK buyers.

Buying from Japanese online retailers is fine.  We all do it many times every year.

Thanks for this.

Forgot about those charges - which will make a pretty big difference with UK prices

Buckingham

I have had made many purchases from Japan, HobbySearch and ModelTrainPlus being the two suppliers I use. To date the experience has been pleasurable and the only damage has been to the credit card. In general I have found it cheaper buying from Japan (even with the additional charges) rather than here in the UK but as you say the current exchange rate closes that gap.

Any communication has been easy via email and any issues have usually been resolved quickly.

Regarding the additional charges mentioned by Katofw above. Model trains do not attract duty charges but can result in VAT and additional postage costs. These costs will depend on which shipping method you use.

My experience is that anything sent express postage (EMS) enters the UK via Coventry and without exception has incurred both VAT and additional clearance fees to ParcelForce (at present this is £13.50 for each parcel regardless of size / value). The advantages of this method is that the parcel is insured and usually takes no more than a week to be delivered and can be tracked online.

The other method is small package (SAL or registered SAL) which enters the UK via Heathrow and in the main comes through without additional charges, although some parcels do get caught for VAT and additional fees, this time it is the Post Office (charge is £8.50). This method is slower, up to 5 weeks, and is not insured or trackable. Registered SAL is insured up to 6000Yen and can be tracked but has the same delivery time.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• Like 1

Buckingham

I have had made many purchases from Japan, HobbySearch and ModelTrainPlus being the two suppliers I use. To date the experience has been pleasurable and the only damage has been to the credit card. In general I have found it cheaper buying from Japan (even with the additional charges) rather than here in the UK but as you say the current exchange rate closes that gap.

Any communication has been easy via email and any issues have usually been resolved quickly.

Regarding the additional charges mentioned by Katofw above. Model trains do not attract duty charges but can result in VAT and additional postage costs. These costs will depend on which shipping method you use.

My experience is that anything sent express postage (EMS) enters the UK via Coventry and without exception has incurred both VAT and additional clearance fees to ParcelForce (at present this is £13.50 for each parcel regardless of size / value). The advantages of this method is that the parcel is insured and usually takes no more than a week to be delivered and can be tracked online.

The other method is small package (SAL or registered SAL) which enters the UK via Heathrow and in the main comes through without additional charges, although some parcels do get caught for VAT and additional fees, this time it is the Post Office (charge is £8.50). This method is slower, up to 5 weeks, and is not insured or trackable. Registered SAL is insured up to 6000Yen and can be tracked but has the same delivery time.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks for the advice Dave

Hi Buckingham,

As above, I've so far only been charged for EMS deliveries and all SAL deliveries have arrived within about 2 weeks every time although registered SAL seemed to take a couple of days longer. I have used a few different suppliers including some random bits & pieces off Amazon (Japanese sellers) from what I assume are not usually train suppliers and all have arrived in good condition so far.

The only thing I would point out is that I have had a few issues with EMS deliveries, As Dave has explained, Parcel Force 'intercept' these deliveries and add their £13.50 on top of VAT and their process is supposed to be receive parcel, work out charge, send a letter, you pay and then they deliver. However I have never received a letter twice and had to phone up the depot and have them apologise, Luckily before the package gets returned to sender, just make sure you keep an eye on the tracking info if you use EMS.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hello,

You should also find the prices very competitive at Loco1Hobby.  The shop is honest and reliable and run by an Australian, David, who lives in Japan.  According to my wife he is rather cute, too.  He is on this forum as Kietaro.

• Like 2

Hello,

You should also find the prices very competitive at Loco1Hobby.  The shop is honest and reliable and run by an Australian, David, who lives in Japan.  According to my wife he is rather cute, too.  He is on this forum as Kietaro.

Thanks for that advice Ochanomizu :thumbsup:

Hi Buckingham,

As above, I've so far only been charged for EMS deliveries and all SAL deliveries have arrived within about 2 weeks every time although registered SAL seemed to take a couple of days longer. I have used a few different suppliers including some random bits & pieces off Amazon (Japanese sellers) from what I assume are not usually train suppliers and all have arrived in good condition so far.

The only thing I would point out is that I have had a few issues with EMS deliveries, As Dave has explained, Parcel Force 'intercept' these deliveries and add their £13.50 on top of VAT and their process is supposed to be receive parcel, work out charge, send a letter, you pay and then they deliver. However I have never received a letter twice and had to phone up the depot and have them apologise, Luckily before the package gets returned to sender, just make sure you keep an eye on the tracking info if you use EMS.

Steve.

Thanks Steve

Appreciate that a "me too" reply isn't much use but my experience of buying from Japan is the same as the other chaps.

Shipping and customs charges are significant. If its not too high a value and you can wait, you can save a lot by choosing non-EMS shipping.  It does take a while though - around a month is my experience - and you do want insurance/tracking if possible. Obviously exchange rates are shocking at the moment but this is relative, the actual cost of the items are still good value/quality.

Don't forget to check traintrax and Osbornes models first...

Edited by Staffy
  • Like 1

Appreciate that a "me too" reply isn't much use but my experience of buying from Japan is the same as the other chaps.

Shipping and customs charges are significant. If its not too high a value and you can wait, you can save a lot by choosing non-EMS shipping.  It does take a while though - around a month is my experience - and you do want insurance/tracking if possible. Obviously exchange rates are shocking at the moment but this is relative, the actual cost of the items are still good value/quality.

Don't forget to check traintrax and Osbornes models first...

Thanks Staffy - all comments welcome.

I have bought from Traintrax and the prices are good, probably as good as if I were to try to source from Japan if hmrc are taken into account. Ocbiously he cannot keep the same supply as shops in Japan and it is Kato only, so my query is just to cover whether I am tempted to splash some cash on a model that I cannot get in uk.

I've spent many thousands direct from Japan.

In the early days, mostly from Plaza Japan via Ebay, but in the last 18 months I've found Model Train Plus, what a FANTASIC SHOP, SELLER AND SERVICE!!

I always buy through Paypal, so there is some backup there if something goes wrong. But I have to say, nothing EVER has! import and TAX can be a pain, but so can the UK shops that carry NO STOCK or offer a very poor service! Even with the extra import cost etc, Japanese N is still FAR better value and quality than UK models ever have been or ever will be!

MTP is a seller of the highest quality, his English would put most of us Brits to shame !!!! His service is second to NONE and packing is totally top end! He even offers a personal shopping service and has helped me find some very small parts to finish Ebay wins that are missing parts impossible to find in the UK. With MTP, I feel he's got my back and I can run my Japanese N hobby in a relaxed manner :)

MTP is a TOTAL LEGAND !!

:love4:

Rob,

Cwmbran.

20+ years with Japanese N

P.S, It's also worth considering Train Trax in the UK. He carries some good stock, with good prices if you consider there will be no expensive shipping, VAT or import charges.

Edited by sunbeam
  • Like 1

I've spent many thousands direct from Japan.

In the early days, mostly from Plaza Japan via Ebay, but in the last 18 months I've found Model Train Plus, what a FANTASIC SHOP, SELLER AND SERVICE!!

I always buy through Paypal, so there is some backup there if something goes wrong. But I have to say, nothing EVER has! import and TAX can be a pain, but so can the UK shops that carry NO STOCK or offer a very poor service! Even with the extra import cost etc, Japanese N is still FAR better value and quality than UK models ever have been or ever will be!

MTP is a seller of the highest quality, his English would put most of us Brits to shame !!!! His service is second to NONE and packing is totally top end! He even offers a personal shopping service and has helped me find some very small parts to finish Ebay wins that are missing parts impossible to find in the UK. With MTP, I feel he's got my back and I can run my Japanese N hobby in a relaxed manner :)

MTP is a TOTAL LEGAND !!

:love4:

Rob,

Cwmbran.

20+ years with Japanese N

P.S, It's also worth considering Train Trax in the UK. He carries some good stock, with good prices if you consider there will be no expensive shipping, VAT or import charges.

Thanks Rob. Encouraging advice.

Good to know that this is a trusted source.

I have purchased from Train Trax and have had excellent service and will continue to use him.

Just that there is such a vast range of Japanese models that cannot be sourced over here.

And I agree with you that Japanese n gauge is far better value than uk n models

Thanks

Alan

Hi,

I can't see where you are, but if a trip to Cwmbran is a realistic option, you are welcome to see my collection. I have enough to keep you occupied for an afternoon :-)

I'm just about to start a new exhibition railway. My old Railway was a Japanese layout called J R Coast. It can be seen on the n gauge society's 35th shows picture gallery.

I have used many suppliers over the years. MG Sharp to begin with followed by LSWR Models.

JR Models followed on the 1990s but then Heiko Stoll in Kamen proved to be an excellent supplier of Micro Ace and Tomix.

The closure of JR Models forced me to try the Internet and Hobby Search became my supplier of choice.

Now I use MTP and Loco Hobby 1 as well as HS but MTP and David offer personal service.

Malcolm

Hi,

I can't see where you are, but if a trip to Cwmbran is a realistic option, you are welcome to see my collection. I have enough to keep you occupied for an afternoon :-)

I'm just about to start a new exhibition railway. My old Railway was a Japanese layout called J R Coast. It can be seen on the n gauge society's 35th shows picture gallery.

Thanks for the offer, but as i am on the Fylde coast, it seems that we are over 200 miles away. :hmh:

Had a look at your photos though and very impressed

I find it hard to see Japanese themed layouts at local shows - only seen one (Tohoku City) in the last 4 shows that I have been to.

I have used many suppliers over the years. MG Sharp to begin with followed by LSWR Models.

JR Models followed on the 1990s but then Heiko Stoll in Kamen proved to be an excellent supplier of Micro Ace and Tomix.

The closure of JR Models forced me to try the Internet and Hobby Search became my supplier of choice.

Now I use MTP and Loco Hobby 1 as well as HS but MTP and David offer personal service.

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm :thumbsup: