Layout based on an NHK series

amszterpeter

amszterpeter

NHK, the Japanese  government owned TV network, showed a 9 part series in April and May of 2008 on model railroads. The last five shows pictured the step-by-step building of a N scale layout featuring country scenery. I am considering using the same plan for my own 6' by 3' layout, though I might consider a hollow core door 6'8' by 36" as the base. Plan to utilize Kato Unitrak, and set the scene in the mid-1960s.

Any comments and ideas are solicited and much appreciated in advance.

Cheers.

amszterpeter

PS. A larger image can be found in my gallery titled Ome sen.

post-4143-0-72240400-1468945924_thumb.jpg

Edited by amszterpeter

First let me welcome you. The plan looks like an operationally nice and simple, two separate loops on different levels layout. It looks like the hilly terrain is part of the layout's main focus and would need good tunnel access from above when built on a door. The red line seems more freight oriented while the blue could be a mixed freight/passenger operation. It has to be a walkaround layout, otherwise some parts would remain hidden. The 1960-ies are around the middle of the JNR era, so what rolling stock do you plan to run on the layout?

> PS. A larger image can be found in my gallery titled Ome sen.

FYI - clicking on a thumbnail takes you to the gallery image.

I have many potential questions and comments, but for now have one immediate suggestion.

On the lower level, I don't understand why the siding is oriented such that a train leaving from it is not lined up to enter the branch line without reversing.

I'd have the branch line split off much closer to the left end (maybe lose the lower level tunnel there) and move the siding to that side of the loop, using a turnout that allows a direct run to the branch - after almost a full loop on the main.

amszterpeter

Charles and kvp:

Thank you for your comments. To review the feasibility of the project, last week I have actually laid out the track as per the diagram in the NHK booklet. Using Kato Unitrack that I had saved from an old project the actual layout ended up being close to 8' by 5', way larger than the 3' by 6' space limitation I have. My concept is to get a 3' by 6' folding table and use a frame of 1" by 3" lumber topped by a 1/4" plywood as the base on the top of it. I have given up on the NHK plan and spending my time on-line reviewing track plans everywhere on the Web, especially Japanese prototype layouts. The aim is to run trains and allow myself to build scenery reflecting mid-1960s Japan and forget about my formal obsession of "operating" a railroad. My inspiration is the Ome-line running from Tachikawa to Okutama, but not restricting myself in anyway to replicate any existing land or building features. However, I intend to run trains that operated on that line during that time period. I already own an orange Chuo-line unit of 3 cars, the old 100-sei, and a set of three Kawai HOKI 9500 hoppers with the Okutama markings. Yesterday I ordered the new Kato KUMOHA 11 two unit set; while it is marked in the catalog as the Tsurumi-line, it was also used on the Ome-line. Meanwhile, I will keep trying to come up with a plan for running two trains at the same time, probably one local passenger unit and one freight unit as well. The freight will conisist of hoppers and container cars. The scenic features I am looking to incorporate is a typical old JNR rural station, a street of a dozen or so mid Showa era wooden shops, place for the already completed Tomytec Buddhist temple diorama, a quarry scene (Okutama), and a corner area with hilly terrain and hidden tracks to conceal the oval or "endless" layout. Any suggestions within these parameters are much appreciated in advance.

Peter 

looking at the blue track, if you made the curves R315 for the smaller and R348 for the larger, and rejigged the plan a little, you should make 3x6 foot.

i calculated 1531 long without a slight 15 degree rotate and 696 deep of blue track.  add 25mm to those for ballast width.  it is only just over size.

for the blue track, using just R315 curves and making a set or tournouts (on the blue track) as part of the left side curve should give you the length you require to shorten it.

Given your space constraint, I think it would be almost impossible to keep a 2-train main from looking like anything but a racetrack.  If you do insist on having two trains running (BTW - a great Paul Butterfield blues number from a half-century ago), I'd suggest having the lines meet at the station and taking different levels on the far side.

I'm getting a sense that landscape is important to you, and think you might be happier with a two circuit loop.  However, Unitrack - or anything of that ilk, is not going to allow for flowing rural track.

You say you've been looking on the web, and below are three plans I came across that are roughly the right size.  I'm not crazy about any of them, and you've likely seen them yourself.  Two contain a scenic divider, and I think that might be a good idea for you.  The second one undoubtedly has much more mining/quarry activity than you were looking for, but it could be modified.

Lastly - given your extensive shopping list, instead of looking at existing plans you might consider designing one for yourself.

gallery_941_192_8818.gif

gallery_941_192_7414.jpg

gallery_941_192_240598.jpg

• Like 1

With 6'x3' space and a limit of 3 car trains it's possible to squeeze in 3 full loops and still look somewhat prototypical. This is just a quick idea, much better ones could be drawn with a bit of thinking. The station has a side platform for the branch and an island platform for the mainline. The branch goes up and over the main and then back down.

post-1969-0-45337400-1470218791.png

If the number of loops is too much, it's possible to loose one of the tracks from the double track line:

post-1969-0-22918800-1470219233.png

post-1969-0-45337400-1470218791_thumb.png

post-1969-0-22918800-1470219233_thumb.png

• Like 2
amszterpeter

Thank you all for your comments. Interestingly enough I had selected "Manning Oaks" a few days ago as a likely candidate. (Great minds think alike? :-)

I find kvp's suggestions compelling. I will take out my Unitrack box, go back to the kitchen table and see what evolves.

post-1969-0-22918800-1470219233.png

This is actually a pretty solid and classic layout design. Lots of running possibilities, two separate loops that connect via the third track and even some potential for an extra hidden yard in the back for increased fun!

amszterpeter

Hi LJR:

I have looked for the series on the NHK archives, no luck.

Since it is nearly 8 years old, I don't believe it is available on-line.

I wish it would as I would like to view it again.

The booklet is available, used, on Amazon.com.jp.