Hello from Texas!

amszterpeter

amszterpeter

Hello from San Antonio, Texas, a lovely place to retire. I am 78 years young, a lifetime learner and a model railroader for much of my adult life. I did have a 20 year gap as I found retirement much too busy. Actually I was teaching. Now back to the hobby again, I am planning a 6' by 3'+ layout, possibly on a hollow core door.

I was born and raised in Europe, but in 1962 I first flew to Japan. I spent four years there using the railroads daily. After returning to the U.S. in 1966, I soon began my first model railroad. Maintained interest in Japanese prototype, I was and am modeling in N scale. Due to my employment's benefits, I worked for a major international airline, I visited Japan about 30 times since, the last time two years ago. I have stayed mostly one week to 10 days at the time, but in 2003 we spent six months in Kyoto. regardless where we lived and what I done, whether academic research, visiting relatives or playing tourist, I have used the railroads on a daily basis. When attending college in the early 1960s, I had a train pass. I have all of them preserved and mounted in an album.

Well, back to my new project. I will model the old JNR Chou line, as well as the Ome-line to Okutama. The time period is the mid 1960s. I hope to learn from your experiences and will share mine as the latest iteration of my model railroad materialize.

Cheers.

amszterpeter

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum, this is a great place with an excellent community and tons of info for all your JR needs. ;)

amszterpeter,

Welcome to the forum! You have had a very long history traveling to Japan, bet you have interesting stories and viewpoint on the changes and evolution in Japanese trains over the decades!

Will be fun to see what you do with your layout!

Cheers

Jeff

amszterpeter,

Welcome to the forum! You have had a very long history traveling to Japan, bet you have interesting stories and viewpoint on the changes and evolution in Japanese trains over the decades!

Yes, recollections, anecdotes, pictures, etc would be very interesting.  And based on the locale he chose as the prototype I'm certainly looking forward to seeing his layout develop.

amszterpeter

Thank you all for the kind welcome. i will post some of  my Japanese train riding memories on Platform 7: Memories section.

Hope you read it there.

Peter

Mudkip Orange

I'm in Houston if you ever wanna push a bunch of tables together at Denny's and set up a layout while the waitresses give you dirty looks.