Modelling tsukaguchi

Thankyu6300

Thankyu6300

I'm about to embark on modelling tsukaguchi station and its surround as this is my first attempt in a layout it's going to be a closed loop but I want to hide much of the loop as possible. At this stage plans are still to come but within the next week I should be able to have something posted my main problem is how to hide the loop do I sink the back half but I'm worried about the space I will need. I'm sorry if I'm a little vague in this stage but has anyone else tried modelling parts of the Hankyu Kobe line? I would be keen to see if this has been done. Also am I mad in attempting this? I think so but I think it can be done.

I think it's completly doable, but i wouldn't sink the back part, just hide it behind a row of taller buildings and maybe an overpass or two. The station is a bit harder, as it's a branch point, but imho you can do it with a double track loop and a single track shortcut.

post-1969-0-96797600-1468226481_thumb.png

Thankyu6300

This plan is very much what I have had in mind but would flip top turn the other way.

Edited by Thankyu6300

That would create a reversing loop (hard to wire electrically) and the trains would end up on the wrong track for directional running. Also you could only travel through it once without reversing on the main, so it wouldn't allow continuous running on the branch.

Thankyu6300

I've put more thought into this layout and I'm thinking... Is it too boring? I'm wanting to model this area because it's kind of special to me but I have been looking a lot of layouts now and the switching operations are really peeking my interest. But track and trains aside the whole area lacks a lot of greenery And is pretty much a lot of buildings. Is anyone running any Hankyu layouts I'd love some inspiration.

Others will I'm sure disagree but for me switching isn't much fun in N compared to larger scales.  Although even in larger scales I find switching less interesting than creating and watching trains roll through land/city scape.

Operationally (besides the terminuses) this is a rather nice location. On a modern emu based urban layout, there isn't much switching going on and dense urban layouts are a typically japanese style, that models a prototype that is almost uniquely japanese. Katsura might be larger and have more shunting options, but the concept of a branching point is the same. Imho the Hankyu network is very well optimized for capacity and it's streetcar like tight turns at some spots allow nice and realistic layouts in smaller spaces. A terminus is better for people who like to shunt trains around, while a loop layout if better for continous running and just looking at the trains and a branching station is a mix of the two. I would say go with whatever you like and would like to watch and run trains on.

• Like 1

I've put more thought into this layout and I'm thinking... Is it too boring?

I think first build this trackplan on the floor or on a desk as a temporary one and start to play on it! If you find it a boring one after some playing session than maybe you should change the plan. :)

• Like 1
Thankyu6300

Thanks for all your replies everyone. It's great having second opinions. Please stay tuned there is much in the works now, I'm getting stuck into it more next weekend where there will be photos etc etc. actually here's one now just messing around really. :)

Thankyu6300

So This is my first general plan, and this is the space i plan on working with. Many thanks to KVP for his input. Thoughts feeling emotions? the 900mm ruler marks out the space the station will occupy. And still if anyone is out there who has done any modelling of the Hankyu line i would love to see also just any Hankyu running would be cool too. I love this train. I especially love the warning music before it arrives it make me want to dance. :)post-4121-0-87884700-1469367693_thumb.jpg 

I also realize the curve in this plan isn't quite as gentle as the real thing. There might be a better way to do this. Still more to come but i'm sticking with this area now, as for the rest of the scenery i'm thinking of bringing elements of near by Takarazuka in there is going to be a lot of creative license happening in this build. 

Edited by Thankyu6300

Out of interest, is it possible to get building height from google earth? As I'm modelling this station I'm trying to get the station building the right scale. What's the best course of action for this