Rokuhan Z-scale 500 series EVA set!

JR 500系

Not too bad! I wouldn't get one, despite me owning some 6.5mm gauge track, but I can vouch for the quality of Rokuhan. They're quite on par with Kato. I hope to visit their HQ in a few weeks, if not in the summer vacation.

• Like 1

Really?

Yeah I always get snagged looking at z scale but always manage to escape! One of these days I fear... It might start with a loop around the computer monitor and I don't want to think where it would end up leading to. I know, I know resistance is futile and all that Borg stuff. ;-p

Now with the zero and eva...

Jeff

• Like 2

In Z scale you could get the long straight runs needed to do a Shinkansen justice that you'd need a basket ball stadium for in N scale.  That's the reason I don't have many Shinkansens or run the ones I do that often, to me they look a little ridiculous running round a normal N scale layout.

In Z scale you could get the long straight runs needed to do a Shinkansen justice that you'd need a basket ball stadium for in N scale.  That's the reason I don't have many Shinkansens or run the ones I do that often, to me they look a little ridiculous running round a normal N scale layout.

That's why I will not be getting a Shinkansen, no matter who makes it.

Z scale is just 33% smaller than N, so you'll get 33% more space for running. In case of an oval, that comes out to be around 50% more straights thanks to smaller curves. If your space in N comes out to be barely enough to fit the train between the two curves, with Z, you will have half a train length of straight track. That's still not much to speed up and slow down.