Tokyu Toyoko Line Yutenji Station passing track construction

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

So on Sunday I was doing a bit of "zenmentenbouing" on the Toyoko Line, when I observed some trackwork being done at Yutenji Station, just one stop from Naka-Meguro. I was completely unaware of this, but this station will have a center passing track, usable in both directions, but primarily for up trains in the morning rush. The platforms (quite generous in width now), will be narrowed to allow the extra width of ROW to fit the center track, and the roof will be rebuilt with an arch design with a higher clearance.

Currently on the Toyoko Line there are only four locations where faster trains can overtake or allow cross platform transfers with stopping trains: Shibuya, Jiyugaoka, Moto Sumiyoshi, and Kikuna. As the section of the line approaching Naka-Meguro in the up direction is the most congested, and with the planned 2019 introduction of through trains off the Sotetsu connection at Hiyoshi, extra line capacity is needed, especially on the 7.0 km of line between Shibuya and Jiyugaoka Stations. This additional track is expected to help with that problem.

This YouTube video is already a few months old, and the track work as of last weekend is a bit more advanced than depicted here (iirc), but it gives a general idea of the layout of the approach to the station where the center track begins (currently being used as the up line). First is the approach in the up direction, followed by the down direction.

Website with diagrams of the track layout:

http://mirai-report.com/blog-entry-1309.html

* I will try to make a visit to this station this summer holiday to get some on-site pictures, and post here.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 2