n scale growth

jrcrunch

If I had an opinion on the subject.  I wouldn't say migration is big enough to mention.  But those new to the hobby starting out might select N scale for space and lower cost factors.

Here in the states n scale appears to be steady growing and also a broadening of the n scale market even with all the calls that the hobby in general is dying. There is some transition due to folks downsizing space, but a lot of times that's an age thing and it can go counter of the issues of growing older and dealing with equipment half the size so trade off there, but it is a migration you see on the forums and groups.

Other big migration here is folks just wanting to model more scene and operations into their given layout area and that gets a fair amount of migration from the posts I've seen of folks coming to n scale on the us train lists.

Ntrak and later Ttrak have brought a lot of newbies into n scale directly here as they are at most all the train shows here in the us and is pretty universal (a lot of the other layouts are more club specific systems or not as broadly done). It makes for a friendly and easier introduction to the hobby and getting some club support to get started.

In Japan I doubt it's changed a lot. Bit more ho now it seems and growing Japanese z that really was not there much a decade or so, but I don't think it's taken a huge chunk from n scale.

Jeff

All the data indicates that it's definitely growing here in my basement. They had 12,700 people over two days show up at our local train show. Not many of my son's friends are into it though.

Todd

There's anecdotal evidence to suggest that British N gauge is growing in popularity, combination of reduced space requirements and big improvements in products over the last 10 years or so (though still too unreliable compared to Japanese stuff IMHO), though it's still a niche market and I doubt it's creating many millionaires.

Need to subscribe. No thanks.

Also, the model train business in Japan tries to keep being appealing to young people by organising events like the 鉄道模型コンテスト (Model Train Contest) for high school students, which has a big following and interest. Next to that, T-Trak also is being revived to regain interest across all ages. Also, across all age levels, there is a big train fanbase going on with tons of merchandising being sold and railway companies themselves selling special items at successful rates. Looking at these events and future successes that lie ahead, the model train age in Japan will at least go strong for many many years. Mainly in N-scale.

bikkuri bahn

Need to subscribe. No thanks.

Use the google news page with the article title as keywords, it will get you around the subscriber paywall.

I have no solid idea about back in the States, but with the decline of hobby shops there, and the lack of real (passenger) trains to stimulate interest, especially in the middle-class sprawlburbs, I wouldn't be too hopeful.  Japan looks to be OK, plenty of cool trains of course, and I see lots of little boys (and girls) getting excited when a train pulls in. Plus it's a part of daily life, as much as the SUV in the driveway of a cul-de-sac is in the U.S.  You won't get funny looks or be suspected as a terrorist/trespasser when photographing them, either.

• Like 1

What i see is that British N gauge is growing, but from a very low base compared to 00 and most exhibitions have mostly older people on the photos. Japan is different as always like Toni described with both real and model trains going strong. Eastern Europe on the other hand is a mix, with many young people taking an interest in model trains, but the eras are changing, so in the past the most popular locomotives were diesels and streamers and now they are the modern electrics, mostly the ICE/Railjet kind. Personal experience, that in the 4 model railroad clubs i'm involved, 2 has a rather large number of kids or younger adults in it. They actually organise summer camps and one of them (at least once a year) together with an exhibition in a different city and the rest of the time with modelling classes mixed with running sessions. Most popular scale is H0 with a shift from TT as a second to N due to availability. At used train markets, around 20% of the visitors seem to be kids.

• Like 1

I must admit I have bought a few British N gauge locomotives just lately and am very pleased the quality of them both in detail and in running quality.

My Dapol class 56 in Colas rail livery and my HST 125 in East Midlands livery are wonderful.

post-766-0-96420800-1467529480_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-01668200-1467529504_thumb.jpg

My Class 52 Western from Dapol, let me show you it:

27747914970_b824e59980_b.jpg

western-japan by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Lovely model, very detailed, marred by the smoke escaping from the electric bits about 5 minutes after I placed it on the track (a common affliction apparently). Repaired now.

Personally I'd prefer slightly less detail (=bits that fall off) at slightly lower prices, but that's not what the market wants I guess ;)

• Like 2
Spaceman Spiff

If anything I think the hobby is slowly fading. Sadly the kids of today are more into video games and the like.

Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

My Class 52 Western from Dapol, let me show you it:

27747914970_b824e59980_b.jpg

western-japan by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Lovely model, very detailed, marred by the smoke escaping from the electric bits about 5 minutes after I placed it on the track (a common affliction apparently). Repaired now.

Personally I'd prefer slightly less detail (=bits that fall off) at slightly lower prices, but that's not what the market wants I guess ;)

I found the quality of the English manufacturers wanting compared to the Kato/Tomix's of the world.

Spiff

When I talk to people about model trains, they always ask me what would it cost if they would buy one Hungarian loco and 3-4 coaches to their kids. And when I say it is around 300 EUR they immediately switch the topic, because it is a huge price to get 'some toy' for the kids. They always comparing this price to a PS4 (similar amount), a tablet, a bike, or anything else. And sadly I think they are right, or at least in this eastern part of Europe.

Just to back in the topic, N-gauge is not really growing here, Hungarian trains are mostly available in H0.

Where i do see growth is mostly Lego trains. Imho the price/value/durability is just right for most kids. (start set prices are between 100-240 euros, smaller extension sets are between 12-50 euros) Most hungarian kids who have a trainset today have Lego. (mostly german prototype, with french, british and american as seconds, mostly with the new wireless digital technology)

Imho hungarian N isn't really growing but the availability of mass produced models is increasing again, it's already above the old high point of the old Piko N era. It's comparable in size to british 3rd rail in N. Of course H0 is the most supported scale in Europe.

We do see a shift away from conventional train models for younger kids and it isn't helping that the EU has made line electricity powered model trains a 16+ category. Even Maerklin has resorted to selling battery powered, remotely controlled shorty trains for kids. In this area Lego has a 50+ year experience and they literally took the whole toy train market with some ultra cheap wooden trains (plarail like) remaining as polular seconds.

Guest Closed Account 1

just wondering... is the N-scale hobby world growing? migration from HO? (hobby is more space demanding, expensive)

At half a century old, I am one of the youngest in my club by a long shot.  They are not big on promoting the club to younger blood.

Unfortunately, we have to lose the older generations to gain the younger generations because fewer kids want to build layouts based on Post WWII up to the 60's which is the majority of the scenery and train being made.

Most of the kids (Millenials) and parents (Baby Boomers)  stop and ooooh when they see a bullet train. Especially when its from their Country. Even chase it.  Roll out a Thomas or Friend and kids go nuts.

I say N is still growing.