Newbie from Singapore

jeffyen

Hi all I'm from Singapore and have just returned from Japan a few days ago. In Japan I travelled on a Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto for the first time in my life and just couldn't believe how fast it was. Back in Tokyo, I stumbled upon Yodobashi (ridiculously mega-enormous electronics store) and discovered they sold model trains. I was floored; I never knew such a thing/industry even existed, with the rails and dioramas. Quickly did some googling and decided to choose the Tomix platform, and got a starter kit with the same SKS model.

Back in Singapore, I realised there is a Singapore Tomix distributor who has a huge inventory and just got the 400-page Tomix catalogue today. Fun times ahead I think lol

Edited by jeffyen
  • Like 2

Hi jeffyen, welcome to the forum.  You'll find plenty of info and help here.  There are also two owners of retailers in Japan that ship internationally.

Hi Jeffyen.....welcome to the forum and "Oh Boy!" here goes the credit card :)   But it's a great hobby!

• Like 1

Hey jeffyen,

You're stuck now,myou are infected and it will only get worse. Burn the credit card before it's too late! ;-p

Glad you stumbled upon Japanese trains and the forum, you will find a lot of folks here in the same situation!

There are a few other Singapore members on the forum as well!

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeffyen:

Welcome! I'm from here too!

I think you found our friend distributor here. He just started out on his Japanese inventory and has quite a lot of Tomix stocks. He will be bringing in Kato ones soon. The catalogue is a great way to start getting poisoned!

We have a small railway community here, and even smaller for Japanese ones. Do let us know and we can rope you in for more group train rail fun!  :)

Cheers!

Thanks for all the welcome!

Hi jeffyen, welcome to the forum.  You'll find plenty of info and help here.  There are also two owners of retailers in Japan that ship internationally.

Amazon.jp seems to have very good prices+globalshipping. Another is Hobby Search. Are there others?

Hi jeffyen, welcome. I am also building a model train in Singapore, mostly using Tomix tracks and Kato trains (upgraded to DCC). I have purchased most of them directly in Japan. Tried amazon.jp but they would not ship to Singapore, used vpost instead but expensive. Also tried Hobby Search (very good experience, cheaper shipment cost).

hi guys, was out of action for a while till i took my trains out to play today.

by the way, any of you been to the JR cafe at tanjong pagar?

initially when i heard there will be a rail cafe, i thought it was like those pla-rail cafe in japan where you pay to play trains.

little did i know it is a cafe opened by JR that sells JR passes.

was hoping they can set up a diorama there so we can bring our trains there to play. lol