Shinkansen N700S series to replace 700 series

I love how the first video is 98% about showing the exterior ... with one quick clip showing that the interior will have AC jacks for charging your cell phone!

Because the N700S will likely operate all the way between Tokyo and Hakata Stations, I expect trainset J0 to be run extensively throughout the Tokaidō and San'yō Shinkansen lines to test all of its features. Particularly important is how well the new trainset runs at speeds around 300 km/h on the San'yō line. 

So when will we see N700S trainset J0 on the Shinkansen line? I expect it to run relatively short distances from Hamamatsu initially (probably west to Nagoya and east to Shizuoka), then by this summer between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka. 

I wonder has JR Central prepared to run full-speed (270 km/h) tests on the Tokaido Shinkansen line between Hamamatsu and Nagoya. I expect a full-length test run from Tokyo all the way to Hakata by late this fall.

Well, it's a JR Central train so it makes sense they first test it on their own tracks. I'm sure it will end up doing a run to Hakata at some point, considering they will be used on that stretch as well. 😉

4 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Cool! Bet they'll leave the N700S for the Nozomi services though..

To start with, just as the N700 was used on Nozomi services only, at first...  Now the N700 is used for all levels, and the N700S probably will get to that point as well as they get enough of them.

On 6/5/2018 at 2:08 AM, Densha said:

N700S test run at day time on the Tokaido Shinkansen along Hamanako.

Interesting! Not sure if I could snap this... hmmm Twitter would be a good source for news?

Seems to be the train with the white roof. Video by Dr.YELLOW movie by charonzoom.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I know train set J0 has been running between Shin-Osaka and Hakata Stations recently. I wonder has JR Central started testing between Nagoya and Tokyo yet....

bikkuri bahn
On 8/6/2018 at 4:09 AM, Sacto1985 said:

I know train set J0 has been running between Shin-Osaka and Hakata Stations recently. I wonder has JR Central started testing between Nagoya and Tokyo yet....

Testing on the Tokaido Shinkansen up to Tokyo began in June.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Video by Dr.YELLOW movie by charonzoom

0:00 Hamamatsu factory pass /

0:10 Hamamatsu station transit (up) /

0:28 Hamamatsu factory receipt (Nishiigawa 1 railroad crossing) /

2:31 another angle next generation Shinkansen train on Tokaido · Sanyo Shinkansen , The J 0 formation confirmation test car of "N 700 S" changed the composition to 16 parts to 8 parts and started a night running test (basic performance test) between Hamamatsu and Shizuoka. The N700S has been developed as a "standard vehicle" that can handle a variety of different numbers of cars according to the needs, this time we are doing a running test with the formation set to 8 for confirming its performance. However, it is not just to reduce the number of pantographs (current collector) transferred from No. 5 and No. 12 cars to No. 2 cars and No. 15 cars in this composition change. The N700S (8-car train) of this time is composed from the Shin Osaka side in order of 1, 2, 11, 8, 9, 6, 15, 16 cars. ▶ ︎ ︎ JR Tokai N 700 S 8

http://jr-central.co.jp/news/release/_pdf/000038349.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But those 8-car 500 Series and 700 Series Hikari Rail Star train sets are starting to get up there in years and need replacement soon. The test of the 8-car N700S train set may be in preparation for eventual operations on Kodama services between Shin-Osaka and Hakata Stations, starting probably as early as 2021.

Edited by Sacto1985
correct wording