Shinkansen N700S series to replace 700 series

JR Central will introduce the Shinkansen N700S series on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen lines in fiscal 2020, replacing the 700 series trains which will be retired at the end of 2019. The N700S will feature a a new "Dual Supreme Wing" nose, which will lessen air resistance and reduce noise upon entering tunnels.

The first prototype 16-car N700S train is expected in March 2018.

Source: http://trafficnews.jp/post/54020/

• Like 4

Not super exciting, but whatever.  One thing I'd like to see is a correct (to me, anyway) series number.  The N700 looked similar to the 700, yes, but I thought it should have been another series number.  Same for this.

the nose and cockpit are feeling more like a racing boat than a shinkansen... Design of these is all down to computer modeling now for air resistance and noise...

jeff

Wow, first time I went to Japan, the 700 series was brand new! This is one of those things where you really feel time passing... maybe the first time that's happened to me with something in Japan. I've almost experienced a full life cycle of an entire train type.

Every generation of these just gets slightly uglier.

• Like 2
bikkuri bahn

Some 8 and 12 car units.  Interesting.  Must be for early morning and late evening and peak holiday season runs.

The news reports say the smaller consists are intended for foreign markets, where a 16 car formation would be too much train.

I didn't hear anything about the top speed of the N700S trainset. Will it still be limited to 300 km/h so it will match the speed of the N700A trainsets on the San'yō Shinkansen line between Shin-Osaka and Hakata Stations, but with lower aerodynamic noise?

bikkuri bahn

^^

The max speed on the Tokaido Line will be the 285km/h, identical with the N700A.  It is safe to assume that 300km/h will be the limit on the Sanyo Shinkansen, but that is something JR West has to decide, as it's their track.  What is different is the N700s will be able to come to a full emergency stop (from 285km/h) 200m shorter than the N700A, in the case of an earthquake.  This is a 5% improvement.  Given that the new model will be lighter, acceleration may also be better.

the nose and cockpit are feeling more like a racing boat than a shinkansen... 

I like it a lot! To me it actually looks like the Batmobile.

JR Central will introduce the Shinkansen N700S series on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen lines in fiscal 2020

Fiscal 2020, eh? I'm already looking forward to catching N700S in time for the Olympics.

looks good.. I think the headlights position will be similar with E5 or E2 series.. actually I was expecting JR Central to release a new models instead of upgrading the already existing model, N700 series... maybe they are focusing on Maglev program..

Reviving this old topic, I do think the new N700S trainset--which will replace the N700A production at Nippon Sharyo and at Hitachi--will all be rated up to 300 km/h, given they will be assigned to the Nozomi train between Tokyo and Hakata (Fukuoka).

By the time the N700S reaches production in 2019, both the old 500 and 700 Series trainsets will be phased out. This means all Shinkansen trainsets running between Tokyo and Hakata are N700 (upgraded to N700A) and N700A trainsets will be capable of 300 km/h top speed; And this opens up an intriguing possbility: 300 km/h running on parts of the Tokaidō line. This means 300 km/h speeds between Kyoto and Maibara Stations and between Shizuoka and Toyohashi Stations for the Nozomi and Hikari trains.

I wonder if that is a production shell, or just a test build.  I agree the interior is somewhat bland, the regular seats look less comfortable than what I remember the 700 series having.

I wonder will Nippon Sharyo only build the N700S sets that run between Tokyo and Hakata Stations. It may be up to maybe either Kinki Sharyo or Hitachi Rail Systems to eventually build the shorter eight-car sets for the Shin-Osaka to Kagoshima-Chūō run.

The JR West and JR Kyushu 7000 and 8000 sub series aren't anything to do with JR Tokai, so it really isn't a factor in the JR Tokai 700s being replaced by N700Ss.  The 7000s and 8000s are so much younger also, that anything is possible by the time they will need replacing.

I'd expect them to be shifted to Kodama services when the 500s and Railstar get moved on.  With the new train (whatever it may be) replacing the Sakura services.

I like this new nose. To me the front part looks similar to that old streamlined Tokaido mainline electric locomotive (ef55) and more train like than the duckbills. Other than that the 700 series is like the Flirt, which is up to series 3 so far (each series having a dozen sub variants), with redesigned nose and updated top speed and middle car length, but the name is kept as the basic design is the same.

5 hours ago, kvp said:

I like this new nose.

I have trouble seeing any difference between the noses of the N700S and the N700(A) series though... they really are very similar.

This past week the first of sixteen cars of the N700S  (J0 formation) trainset was delivered to JR Tokai’s Hamamatsu Depot.  Testing of the trainset will begin in March, with revenue service beginning in 2020.

Scenes at Nippon Sharyo Toyokawa prior to delivery:

Fabrication scenes from last year:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1