Hello from Brisbane, Australia.

jasona2z

Hello, This is my first post!

About me:

My name is Jason and I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

In 2013 I went to Japan for 2 weeks with a group of musicians and worked on their shows. Whilst we did travel quite a bit by train, I didn't really get to see many places. However on a day off I was able to go to Akihabara, and somehow found myself in Tamtam hobby shop. I really appreciated the model trains but didn't really have the money or space to bring home such items at the time. 

Fast forward to April 2016, and after a few years of saving, I decided to go and explore Japan by myself. JR rail pass in hand I flew to Tokyo, and explored the country for 3 weeks. Tokyo, Fuji, Nagoya, Kyoto, Izumo (on the Sunrise Express), Yonago, Osaka, Hiroshima, Nara, Sendai, Hokkaido….Just to name a few places. I did some very interesting train related adventures, including going from Tokyo to Izumo on the Sunrise Express - little sleep was had but the sights and sounds of the overnight train were definitely worth it! I also went to the Island of Hokkaido for a day trip from Sendai on the E5 Hayabusa, only 2 weeks after it opened. I love the E5! It is an amazing looking machine! I also went to the JR railway park in Nagoya and to the new Kato Shop in Kyoto shortly after it opened. 

During this recent trip I remembered how much I had liked the model trains at Tamtam and decided that i would put some of my spending money towards a train, a Shinkansen as I think it is an amazing form of transport, and as much as I like air travel, the Shinkansen is genius in my opinion. So, I did some research as I travelled, went to quite a few different model shops and eventually decided on an N scale train, so that I could model my future layout on Japan. After an afternoon at the Kato store in Tokyo I decided on an E5! - don't get me wrong, I wanted one of each shinkansen that was on the shelf, but i decided on the wonderful green 10 car set. 

I have also since acquired:

A 923 Dr Yellow, that a friend brought back from Japan for me.

A Kato Pocket line, Green Chibi steam locomotive

Kato N700A starter set (to be completed in the future…)

and on the way via ebay, an EF210-100 Loco

These are going to be run on my in progress starter layout consisting on double concrete tie track with super-elevated corners. This will be my starting track, however in the future I am thinking of basing my layout on T-Trak, setup at home and certain elements going to (possible) club meets when I join a club.

I will probably put some more updates (and photos) on here before making a layout thread in the future. 

Thanks so much, Have a great day!

Edit: here is my first T-trak module post; http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/12652-t-trak-rural-platform-engine-shed/

Edited by jasona2z
Wording.
  • Like 6

Hi Jason, welcome!

I think you will enjoy the other asylum inmates locked away here due to their craziness for Japanese trains! Sounds like you have caught the bug! No escaping now...

Keep us posted on your layout. Lots of folks here to ask questions of.

Great thing with Kato or tomix sectional track is you can play with it easily until your plans crystallize! Check out the local clubs to see what they do. Ttrak is having a resurgence here world wide so a good option, but does tend to leave you with a not so exciting loop until you get a lot of modules. But it's a great way if on a limited space and or money budget! Also lets you work on little bits at a time and learn on small bits fast. Diving into a bigger layout can get some folks stalled. It's a perfect way to learn and apply scenery techniques.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jason, welcome aboard, once you've been bitten by the bug that's it.

I should put in a plug for the Ipswich Model Railway Club.  We use T-TRAK and have a few Japanese enthusiasts in our numbers.  We will be at the Gold Coast train show this weekend and the Redlands show in August and you're welcome to come along and check us out at one of our regular meetings on the first Sunday of the month at the Ipswich Masonic hall were we usually have a T-TRAK layout set up.

Das Steinkopf

Welcome aboard Jason, I feel a bit jealous as there seems to be a decent number of Japanese modellers in Brisbane here but there are very few Sydneysiders, mind you I do know a few Japanese modellers down here who are not on the forum.

ps: You might want too hook up with Katoftw so he can introduce you to some Koki fever, afterall you will need something for that EF210-100 to haul.

Edited by Das Steinkopf

Many replies! 

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum. Sounds like a good vacation.

Hi there! It was actually really cool. I plan on going again in a few years and hopefully some time around the opening of the new Maglev and eventually for the opening on the Sapporo Shinkansen.

Hi Jason, welcome!

I think you will enjoy the other asylum inmates locked away here due to their craziness for Japanese trains! Sounds like you have caught the bug! No escaping now...

Keep us posted on your layout. Lots of folks here to ask questions of.

Great thing with Kato or tomix sectional track is you can play with it easily until your plans crystallize! Check out the local clubs to see what they do. Ttrak is having a resurgence here world wide so a good option, but does tend to leave you with a not so exciting loop until you get a lot of modules. But it's a great way if on a limited space and or money budget! Also lets you work on little bits at a time and learn on small bits fast. Diving into a bigger layout can get some folks stalled. It's a perfect way to learn and apply scenery techniques.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I anticipate that there will be many questions in the near future!

Hi Jason, welcome aboard, once you've been bitten by the bug that's it.

I should put in a plug for the Ipswich Model Railway Club.  We use T-TRAK and have a few Japanese enthusiasts in our numbers.  We will be at the Gold Coast train show this weekend and the Redlands show in August and you're welcome to come along and check us out at one of our regular meetings on the first Sunday of the month at the Ipswich Masonic hall were we usually have a T-TRAK layout set up.

Thanks Westfalen, I have the Gold Coast show in the calendar and am thinking about making the trip down. I saw the Ipswich model railway club T-trak layout at the RNA show (the weekend I got back from Japan) and did some research after picking up the T-trak flyer. I certainly appreciated the Japanese station that was on the layout.

Hello Jason.

At least now I know I'm not the only person in Brisbane trying to model Japan's railways :)

You certainly aren't the only one. after experiencing Japanese trains I had little interest in modelling australian trains, especially not Brisbane trains. I also like N-gauge quite a lot, based on the price of any type of japanese trains.

Welcome aboard Jason, I feel a bit jealous as there seems to be a decent number of Japanese modellers in Brisbane here but there are very few Sydneysiders, mind you I do know a few Japanese modellers down here who are not on the forum.

ps: You might want too hook up with Katoftw so he can introduce you to some Koki fever, afterall you will need something for that EF210-100 to haul.

Sounds like a great idea… i may have left out of my intro that I  have a koki 104 (kato 10-317) and also a Chiki 5000 on the way…. one of my T-trak modules will surely be a JNR yard. :)

Hello and welcome.  I'm from Beerwah.  Biwako? haha

Yes I have plenty of kokis you can borrow for your EF210.

you are falling in love with Japanese model train for the same reason everyone else is.

The hobby is addicting + all the excellent support and encouragement from members of this forum only helps drive that addiction further.

Not that I am complaining!

In a little over a year moved from a DC starter kit to DCC computer control with power districts and block detection. Just love to see the Shinkansen rip around my layout so precise stops in automation may still be a while for me.

We have been called all the bad names like enablers, pushers and worse! Hide the credit card when reading...

Jeff

Hi Jason....welcome to the forum and I think the Aussies might be the majority here at JNS.....westfalen has traveled to Japan quite a few times and has shared amazing photos with members here of his journeys!

• Like 1

Hi Jason....welcome to the forum and I think the Aussies might be the majority here at JNS.....westfalen has traveled to Japan quite a few times and has shared amazing photos with members here of his journeys!

Where would one post such a group of photos….

post-4092-0-81473000-1466856461_thumb.jpg

post-4092-0-20805400-1466856507_thumb.jpg

post-4092-0-87987100-1466856573_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
Das Steinkopf

Where would one post such a group of photos….

Platform 6 or 7 depending on what sort of category you are slotting it into, Platform 6 for Holiday Memories and Travel, Platform 7 you would go to J Rail Pictures which relates to real life prototype.