Aftermarket detail parts

avel

I have ordered a Kato EF210 and some Tomix KOKI 102/103 container cars, and Kato TAKI 43000 tank cars. Are there any companies that sell photoetched or detail parts for what I will have?

Das Steinkopf

What sort of details are you after in particular, to be quite honest the models you are talking about probably don't require any after market details, the only changes I would be personally making to those models would be to the couplings fitting Micro Trains couplers or in the case of the Koki 102/103s a mix of Tomix TN's on the inside of the rake and Micro Trains on the ends. I own a fairly broad selection of Koki 100 series container flats from Tomix and Kato with the exception of Koki 105's and Koki 110's, the level of detail on them is fantastic except for the Kato 10-317 Koki 104's which I would not recommend to anyone to buy, if there are after market parts needed for any wagons the Kato Koki 104's would surely be the first candidates for such treatment.

Edited by Das Steinkopf

Just grab irons and maybe other small details that can't be replicated in plastic. I'm still new to japan trains, so I guess I'll do my research and see what I can come up with.

You'll find most of the detailing pieces you need already included with the Kato EF210.

The Kokis you have don't need much other than white paint on the steps and handrails near the steps, and some weathering.

Companies like Ginga Model do sell staff handrails for the EF210 in N scale.

Did you buy N or HO scale?

I think it is wonderful that Greenmax makes kits you can use to model otherwise unavailable models, save some money and enjoy building something.  However, I find that it is hard, even impossible, to find powered chassis and the trucks called for on the kit.  I figure that if the trucks fit and are not the right design it will not affect my enjoyment.  But chassis are a different story, they are a bit too expensive to buy and see if they fit.  Is there a cross reference of Kato and Tomix chassis to Greenmax?  The ones that call out dimensions don't seem to give ones for enough chassis to figure out which match or may I be unaware of a pitfall in just considering chassis length and side length?

Normally the boxes or instructions have what power unit you need to use.  Greenmax power units are not normally in short supply.  Maybe list the kits you have and we may be able to supply you with answers.

For Greenmax, there are usually three or four generations of power chassis on the market, with the most recent generation being low-floor, coreless motors and a Tomytec-like bogie detail exchange system. These are also the most expensive ones, but the most versatile as well. Downside is that the motors are coreless and thus might be problematic with DCC or PWM operations.

Older units have designated bogie designs and are a bit more bulky, and thus visible through the windows. My experience however with these older units is that they are extremely reliable, but also extremely noisy. They can however be obtained for less than a Tomytec unit new and can also be found 2nd hand for cheap.

• Like 1

For those interested, I've found a review/preview announcement on the new Greenmax power units in RM Models #253. I can't scan/photograph the pages because of copyright reasons, but I can give the dimensions that were given in the article:

General dimensions:

- Bogies: axle distance: 13.5mm

- Wheel diameter: 5.7mm

- Width overall: 16.6mm

- Width with nooks and crannies: 15mm

20mA (5711)

- Chassis length: 128mm

- Coupler length (centre): 136.95mm

- Bogie distance (centre): 91.4mm

21m (5712)

- Chassis length: 135.4mm

- Coupler length (centre): 144.2mm

- Bogie distance (centre): 96mm

18m (5713)

- Chassis length: 115mm

- Coupler length (centre): 123.95mm

- Bogie distance (centre): 78.4mm

18.5m (5714)

- Chassis length: 119mm

- Coupler length (centre): 127.95mm

- Bogie distance (centre): 82.4mm

20mB (5715)

- Chassis length: 128mm

- Coupler length (centre): 139.6mm

- Bogie distance (centre): 91.4mm

I hope this helps a bit. If this is not the appropriate thread, it can be moved to the GreenMax thread (or wherever else) if needed.

For me personally, I unfortunately have no use for these power units, as my Sōtetsu trains have a 16mm axle distance, due to their irregular bogie designs. If Greenmax were to release a 16m power unit, I'd be all over that though! :)