Gerry's N Scale Japanese Design

gerryo

Here I am with a new design project.  This one is N scale and will be carried out on a Noch ready-made layout.

The layout designated by Noch as the Baden-Baden has the best possibilities as a good sized one with a possible 3 extensions.  The main layout is 175cm long by 100cm wide.  The 2 end extensions are 69cm X 100cm, and the third one is a rail/storage yard under the layout.  The yard is accessed by a helix in the right end extension.  I may not have room in our new apartment for the left extension, so it will remain on hold for now.

I will be attempting to use Japanese models instead of the regular German types.  It might be a challenge to find Kato Unitrack to fit, but we'll give it a try.  I will be using all Japan style buildings, including an N scale castle.

Over the last few days, in the Z scale forum, in discussions with cten04 and Tossedman, we have tossed around some castle ideas, and I think that, because of space constraints, I will be using the Inuyama Castle by Woody Joe.  It has a footprint of less than a square foot on both dimensions, so will fit on a modified mountain top.

Just to commit myself, and for the practice, I will now order a small Woody Joe project, the Horyuji Inner Gate.  Woodey Joe says it can be built in 5 hours.  I DON'T THINK SO.  Anyway, we'll see.

So this layout will not take the place of my bus and tram one, but in addition to it.  And my trams can be used on the big layout as commuters between two stations.  Guess what.  Now the search for an N scale main station begins.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo

gerry,

hey good way to see about the woody joe kits! they do look like a lot of time, but i dont think any particular part is very hard on these as its pretty straight forward walls with layers and windows. i think its mainly pre painting/staining bits before you assemble them so its easier in the long run, but takes some planning in advance. at least its not a ship model doing all the curves and such! the rock work does look to be a challenge! might be something to buy some balsa strip before you try with theirs and practice making stones and placing them.

ive done some random field stone wall work and it takes a while to get into the groove with it. both times i got 10% in and hit the stride and at 20% in i noticed the gradation of quality so had to tear it out and start over but then it was nice and even randomness! wish the second time i had just torn out the first 10% when i got there but i guess i was cocky and thought that i was good from the get go the second time a few years later. wrong!

jeff

I am wondering if the Baden-Baden station, as shown on the layout by Noch. would be correct enough to use on a Japanese layout?  It is large, at 540mm long, and fairly ornate.  Could it be used as the main station?  I can't find anything Japanese that is that large.

This is in the Vollmer catalogue, item number 47505.  I'll try to get a picture.

Gerry

I am wondering if the Baden-Baden station, as shown on the layout by Noch. would be correct enough to use on a Japanese layout?  It is large, at 540mm long, and fairly ornate.  Could it be used as the main station?  I can't find anything Japanese that is that large.

It vaguely resembles a scaled-down version of Tokyo Station, other than that it doesn't look particularly Japanese. If you want a large-ish contemporary station building, throw together a random selection of modern low-rise office-blocks and stick some Lumine signs on them ;)

Link to image: http://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/produkt/Vollmer/45-2-000-36469-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-grp-de-p-0/produkt.html

Edited by railsquid

Actually Tomix made a low rise office building titled railway office and it could be combined with their platform kits and maybe doubled. It has the proper enterance on one side and the overhead station passenger bridge could be connected with the building. Adding a few doors to the back wall of the side platforms could also work and by placing the office building behind it, the two become a station. For a more modern look, try the same with the modern urban platforms and a few high rise offices. I would also look into using the elevated station buildings as a ground and first froor under the office towers.

My problem is that I don't want a "contemporary" style station and I cant afford the $680.00 plus shipping for the Tokyo station.  Would the Moritzburg model be better than Baden-Baden?

Gerry

Imho very few old style japanese stations looked like any european one. Tokyo station is one of the better known exceptions.

Two examples, both of Ueno station (imho a typical larger japanese station):

from 1912 in classic japanese style

640px-UenoStation-SouthExit-1912.jpg

and the new building from 1932, in a really modern style:

Ueno_Station_Dedication_Ceremony.jpg

I would still say, that getting a 'modern' european station from the 1970-ies would look just like a larger japanese station between 1930 and 1980.

(if you want anything before the 1930ies, then there are excellent classic japanese stations available too) But you can bash together a 'modern' station from japanese components as described above, by using Showa era office buildings and the classic JNR era platforms.

The Moritzburg kit looks even less Japanese. Apart from Tokyo station you just don't get big station buildings in anything like a classic European style with a very long, uniform frontage. The only other example I can think of which looks like it could be kitbashed from European kits is the 2nd iteration of the Kyoto station building:

Kyoto_Station_Early_Showa.jpg

in existence 1914-1950, long forgotten, current building is the 4th iteration.

If you want an older Japanese-style look, Kato 23-220 is classic Showa-style, only 248mm long but you could fill up the rest of the space with miscellaneous structures, which is pretty typical.

Edited by railsquid

Thank you railsquid.  I had not even looked at the Kato rural station because I have the suburban station and they seemed to be the same size.

But the 23-220 looks to be just what I need.  Combined with the Platform set 23-221, and the Overhead walk 23-224 it should make up a good big rural station.  Maybe even the Platform Accessories 23-132.  Taking a second look at the suburban station - it IS the same size.  Maybe some combination of everything - no I wouldn't do that.

The 23-220 will work just fine.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo
  • Like 1

Great idea Railsquid, the Kato 23-220 looks very similar to the old Ueno above. A good representative of the pre WW2 era.

But i would say the 3rd iteration of Kyoto is a better representative of the 1949-1987 era: (built in 1952, removed in 1993)

640px-Kyoto_Station_%28building_of_the_t

Actually the Kato or Tomix elevated station buildings, without anything (apart from hvac stuff) on top would just work fine here. (maybe add a single thin Tomytec tower building for extra effect)

Mudkip Orange

the new building from 1932, in a really modern style

Interesting that 1930s Japanese architecture and 1930s German architecture already bore such a close resemblance even before the countries became allies.

I have confirmed that the new train room will hold both this and my tram & bus layouts.  The tram layout tables are ordered and will take a month to be delivered from Germany.  The Baden-Baden layout tables will only be ordered after we move, so this layout build is on hold for now.

BUT, I can still plan, can't I.

No point in ordering the new castle until mid winter for when I have nothing else to do.  I'll spend my time building things.

Gerry.

I got my Horyuji Inner Gate from Woody Joe.  I got up the nerve to open the box.  This will be a challenge.

Oh well, I have a long winter ahead.

Gerry 

post-2768-0-83941000-1467124275_thumb.jpgpost-2768-0-56617400-1467124304_thumb.jpgI think this will work.  The pics seem very small.  But here goes.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo
  • Like 1

post-2768-0-57782500-1467129180_thumb.jpgThanx Martin.  It will be a while as we are in the process of moving to a new apartment.

This pic is of my plan for the train room and is for both my bus and tram layout and the Baden-Baden layout.  This gives me ample room to move around the big one, and space to put a slight bend in the bus & tram.  The circle at the bottom right reps. the opening door to the room.

Gerry

• Like 1

If you can put the tables on wheels so you can move them as needed for easier working on or viewing, etc.

Jeff

Interesting that 1930s Japanese architecture and 1930s German architecture already bore such a close resemblance even before the countries became allies.

Art Deco was the modern "international" style of the era.

Personally, I always thought that Ueno Station looked vaguely similar to the UK Southern Railway's Surbiton Station.

• Like 1
Art Deco was the modern "international" style of the era.

Personally, I always thought that Ueno Station looked vaguely similar to the UK Southern Railway's Surbiton Station.

If you look at the Budapest Airport terminal 1 building from 1939, you could see some resemblance to both: (imho more so to Ueno station built 7 years earlier)

post-1969-0-00337400-1467218852.jpg

post-1969-0-00337400-1467218852_thumb.jpg

Edited by kvp
Drunkenclam

Harry Potter fan by any chance?  :D

Terangeree

Harry Potter fan by any chance?  :D

No.

I thought the Harry Potter series were very derivative of much greater works (e.g.: "Tom Brown's Schooldays").

Edited by Terangeree

post-2768-0-06085100-1469028119_thumb.jpgThis pic is for info only, and shows that I can build the Baden-Baden layout in my existing train room and have space (2 feet) all around to work in.  This is more than I expected.

The layout will be made up of three tables, 1750mm, 690mm, and 690mm for a total of 3130mm long by 1000mm wide.  It will have a helix under one of the 690's leading to a train yard under the rest of the layout.  Hopefully the Shinkansens that I have will be able to negotiate this slope.

The layout itself will be made up of one large pre-made layout with 2 small extensions, one on each end.  Track used will be Kato Unitrack as much as possible, because I have tons of it.  Even a large viaduct oval, which would give it some Japanese atmosphere, but this is not out of the planned stage yet.

It will take some time for me to save the money for these things, and to have them delivered from Germany.  Next year sometime.

Anyway, enough for now.  I have to get on with building a table for my fish tank.

Gerry

• Like 1

Baden baden is a nice looking layout and I would like something similar but there must be some pretty tight curves to fit 4 lines into a 6x3 and steep inclines to get it up two levels?