Gerry's N Scale Japanese Design

gerryo

I think I can work with this plan and the helix for the train yard, and have a straight thru in the yard and ease of changing trains.  At first I thought I would have trouble with parking the bullets but with the 2 siding tracks beside the loop there is better access for the long 7 & 8 car trains.  My Odakyus are slightly longer but have shorter cars, so that 10 or 11 cars will be OK.

The hard part of doing this is the waiting, because of the lack of dollars, I can't order everything at once.  Ah well,  "All good things come to those who wait".

Gerry

gerryo have you fathomed how the gradients work on this? from the track plans it looks like the innermost and 2 outermost lines drop a grade at the back half of the layout, is that your understanding? this would help ease the curved grades for the 2nd innermost up and over line.

I ask as I'm trying to set this up and try it out in unitrack without dropping 350 euro on the preformed board.

I have not been too interested in gradients yet.  I figure that since Noch is in the business of building and selling these layouts, they would NOT design something that will not work.  When the time comes, if necessary I will make an adjustment in motive power, or the number of attached cars, or something else, to compensate.  I'm not trying to minimize the problem, I just don't see it as a problem, YET.

My biggest concern is to get the pieces in proper condition and get the space to build it, then try to enjoy it a little bit while I can.  Most of my enjoyment comes from the building of the thing.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo
  • Like 1

After going over the layout pics and the track plans again, I am convinced that the two longest loops around the outside are fairly flat.  Judging where they enter the mountain on the left, and where they exit the other one on the right and not having any view of the rear of the layout, they are on the same level.

The inner, smallest, loop is, to me, obviously quite flat as it has no place to go uphill or down.

I think the only loop to worry about is the mountain loop which zig-zags all over the mountains, going up and down and over bridges, and into tunnels and back down to the station area.  This one will have to have short trains with lots of power to do everything that is shown on that track.

Gerry

• Like 1

No, no unitrack plan, but everything German.  Kato haven't bought into this one yet.,

Gerry

I received the first shipment of pieces for this layout. 

The right end extension which has the landing from the top of the helix built in.

Two of the small tables for the extensions.

Gerry 

post-2768-0-32937900-1470325289_thumb.jpg

I got one table assembled easily enough.  After working with German companies for years, I find it more easy to understand their instructions.

This is the right end extension for N scale layouts made by Noch.  The tunnel entrances are shown, with even a flat spot big enough to fit a small castle.

That castle sure is getting around, but is now slated for the Z scale layout.

The tunnel bases, which also contain the exit at the top of the helix, is fixed under the layout at the appropriate height.

Gerry

I just discovered a slight problem.  If the helix is used as advertised the up track will be the inner one or the shorter or sharper curved one. 

I hope that the shinkansens will climb the shorter track.  The helix is made for trains running opposite to Japan.

Gerry

attachicon.gifRight Extension.JPG

I got one table assembled easily enough.  After working with German companies for years, I find it more easy to understand their instructions.

This is the right end extension for N scale layouts made by Noch.  The tunnel entrances are shown, with even a flat spot big enough to fit a small castle.

That castle sure is getting around, but is now slated for the Z scale layout.

The tunnel bases, which also contain the exit at the top of the helix, is fixed under the layout at the appropriate height.

Gerry

Gerry are those tables from Noch? I didn't see them on the website. Do they connect together?

Todd

Hi Todd.

The tables are from Noch and can be found on their site under Extensions for Preformed Layouts.

These tables are available in Canada through Eurorail Hobbies in Langley, B.C.  And are on their site at eurorailhobbies.com, under Scenery, then Layouts.  Their prices include shipping from Germany.

Gerry

I made another mistake today.  I looked again at the track plan for this layout and discovered that Noch now includes a plan for Z scale using Rokuhan track instead of Marklin.  I should never do this because it always makes me think I should be doing this plan in Z.  But I'm already doing a small layout in Z so why would I do another one?  And besides, I have all this N stuff that has to be used up.  Track, trains, buildings. and a perfectly good plan in N gauge.

Gerry

Gerry,

I think if you think you can do it in n it's a better option for you as you expressed the need to not get too small to build and work with things. Doing a little on you small z layout will be much easier than on the big layout and be a lot more economical. Getting enough buildings in z is more of a challenge as well and many are the sankei kits you are not as enthusiastic at building.

I think limiting your z in the long run will be wiser in your situation. But good to have the variety just in case you were to get very space limited at some point it's a nice little layout to still have some trains to play with in a very limited space. Big layout stuff would be easier to liquidate as well than z that is a much smaller market to sell to.

Just my 1.5 cents

Jeff

I know that you are right, Jeff.  It's just a grave temptation, because it fits the layout so well.  And that brings me to the next problem.  I have been trying to find a useable set of plans for N Unitrack, to be used on here.  But no combination I have tried fits even the large loops.  I have worked on this for more than a week and am ready to give up.  I decided to try the Fleishmann plan last night and in less than 2 hours I had it completed. 

I can use some of my Unitrack for the rail yard under the layout and use flex track for the helix to connect to the main layout.  But which way to go is the problem.  I have never used Tomix Fine Track, so don't know if it would work either.

Anybody have any ideas????

Gerry

Anybody have any ideas?

As i said earlier, just draw the trackplan of the supplied system with the indicated track pieces. Then try to fit Unitrack or Finetrack over the completed plan and try to keep the track centers aligned, especially around tunnel portals. But imho this should be done before ordering the kit. If you can't solve it with one track system, try another as there are at least 3 different ones supplied for the Baden-Baden base layout.

If you don't want to do it digitally, then i would say, just try to arrange your existing tracks to fit the available space. Imho you could only use #4 turnouts, but at least they are a pretty good match for the Arnold ones (some cutting and filing will be needed to connect them together though). Tomix finetrack could be easier, but if you already have enough Kato unitrack, then it's better to use what you have, but i would also check the tunnel clearances as the added height of the unitrack trackbed could cause problems. Generally i think both Kato and Tomix tracks could be used, but quite a lot of modding will be needed to fit everything.

ps: Maybe finding someone locally, who are willing to assemble it for you would be a simple solution...

I haven't ordered the kit.  I'm have more sense than that.  However, I am determined to use the Baden-Baden plan and layout.  I guess, right now I have decided to go with Fleishmann track, as their plan is very complete.

I'll try fitting the Unitrack as per your suggestion.

Gerry

That idea of yours works, kvp.  And I will have Kato Unitrack on my Baden-Baden layout.  Thank you !!

Now it will be OK to order the Preformed Layout fron Noch.

Gerry

post-2768-0-79750800-1471041248_thumb.jpg

I seem to have a major problem.  The track spacing used by AnyRail is different when using their 282/315 double plate track and their 381/414 double track (superelevated). 

This shows in my plan in the upper right of center.  Has anyone had this problem and is there a fix for this problem?

Gerry

I'd just like to point out that if that section is double track canted track.  Thee plan wont work.  You cannot have canted curse go straight into a set of points.  You need the conversion piece first.  And maybe even a non canted piece also to prevent derailments.

I have canted track in the curve at the left end.  There is no single track 414 mm curves. All 414/381 mm curves are canted.  The AnyRail program is designed so that you can't attach a flat track to a canted track.  Any way, what has that got to do with track spacing?  My problem is near the right upper after at least 4 pieces of straight track.

I just went back and counted.  I have a 126mm turnout, 62mm straight, 2 X 248mm straight, and a 124mm straight between the canted 22 1/2 degree superelevated progressive track on the left end of the loop and the area where the problem is. Most of which are double track which hook up to the canted progressive quite nicely, and seem to be the same track spacing.  My problem starts when I try to attach the 282/315 double track curves.  The other end of the 282/315 curve hooks up ok with other track.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo

post-2768-0-15685900-1471186651_thumb.jpg

I've now got everything on this plan the way I want it except for the top right corner of the main plan.  I've now adjusted it a lot closer but there is a mismatch on the main loop at the top end of the 282/315 double track curve.

With having to switch the up helix to the inner track also complicated things. But the shinkansens will just have to climb the inner loop

Gerry 

post-2768-0-59085600-1471272275_thumb.jpg

It's fixed.  I wiped out the double track 282/315 curves and substituted single track 282s and 315s and another 29mm straight at the top right, and everything fits as it should.

What a relief.  Now I can try to build this thing, when I get the layout.

Gerry