Gerry's N Scale Japanese Design

gerryo

My one concern is this crossover I circled on the bottom left. I think it could be simplified by just having the track coming from the right go directly into the curve and eliminate the two sidings. 

Also the lowest pair of yard track on the bottom left are REALLY short, almost to the point that even a tram would be dicey to park on them. Or a caboose track. 

post-3438-0-93291200-1471298272_thumb.jpg

I agree.  The crossover would present problems because it was on the main line thru the left extension.  I have taken out the shortest of the 2 sidings, but have left the second as it is a 248mm track and could be used to park a tram if needed.

I am thinking that the left extension has no real purpose on this layout except to provide a table for the under layout yard which extends under.  I am thinking this would be a good place for a flatland castle.  I know that I seem to be castle crazy but I'll be using my small castle for the Z scale layout now and need to have a function for that space inside this loop.  The loop could be made larger to accommodate an N scale castle and have a parking area for a tram or short train there.

Thanx for the help, nah00.

Gerry

Gerry,

It just occurred to me, did you check the height clearances for the under tracks as this is a z scale layout and you are using Unitrak with the added roadbed height? Just something to check.

Jeff

Ah if it's to a fiddle yard underneath then it makes sense, otherwise it just seemed like too many switches for too little track. The crossover would just complicated the layout unnecessarily and been a target for derailments. 

I have changed the left end loop to be complete and larger to try to accommodate a castle.  This provides a clear space of 500mm wide by 625mm high so should make adequate space.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

Gerry

OK.  So, a castle it is.

I have decided on the Tsuruga Castle by Woody Joe.  There is lots of space for it and maybe the moat as well.  But not right away.  After I get some of the layout done.  The next step is to get the helix and baseboard, and work on the right extension.

Gerry

No, not yet.  That's one of my winter projects, for when it's too snowy to go out to play.

In fact, I've packed it away so well I can't find it now.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo
  • Like 1

Gerry,

cool, well if its too hot outside? or do it on the porch?

hey who did you order your woody joe from?

jeff

I order all my stuff from Hobby Search.  I get good service and their packaging is flawless so that no postal damage is ever done.

I started the base for the Horyuji Inner Gate, and with a little sanding it should turn out OK.  I couldn't resist.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo

When I ordered the Horyuji Gate I also got 4 tubes of Tamiya Craft Bond.  I want to thank Tossedman for recommending this product.  The product is great, fast tacking, and easy to use.  The applicator is really good as well, because the tip is small enough to only apply where you want it.  Great stuff.

I won't ever be without it now.

Gerry

• Like 1

I have forced the appearance of this log again as I have ordered some other parts for it.

First on the order table is the table, base support plate and the Helix to start the assembly even before we move.  This is called an extension table and fits at the end of one of the layouts.

Next is a small layout called Cortina by Noch.  This is meant to be used for Z gauge and will be in the middle of the whole N scale layout along with Baden-Baden on one side and Traunstein on the other. 

Pictures will come later.

gerryo

I now have a completed plan for both Z scale and N scale to be built in the same room.  I now have a partial commitment for the size of the train room for after we move.  I just don't know when.

Does anyone know how to combine 2 layout plans from within AnyRail into the same plan?  Or even if it is possible?  This would save on computer space and also space on this site.

gerryo

Can you do a select all on all the parts of the layout (or layers at a time) in the one file and then paste them into the other file (best into new layers on the other layout file)?

Jeff

Thanx Jeff, that worked out OK.

I have had to shorten the B-B layout by one extension because of the smaller room.  But the Cortina layout with 2 extensions is a larger Z layout, so I guess that is OK.  To get them both in one room and still have 1 meter between is very good.

gerryo

post-2768-0-33782600-1477260208_thumb.jpg

• Like 1