Harajuku Station Redevelopment

Das Steinkopf

Since last week these girders spanning the outer Yamanote line passenger track:

27348968527_5dc33ced16_z.jpg

jr-harajuku-2018-05-18_017 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

now extend all the way across the Yamanote freight line tracks and are anchored to the cutting wall opposite:

42343236471_fc429d45fb_z.jpg

Harajuku Station, 2018-05-25 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

A bit hard to see because taken from a moving train through two layers of grubby glass, but the grey-ish white horizontal beams towards the top of the picture.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Folks,

Harajuku was the only Yamanote Loop Line station to escape destruction in the big fire bomb raids on Tokyo in 1945.

By that time the B 29s were using the RAF tactic of area bombing, no specific target, just saturate a large area.

Harajuku was fortunate, as a timber building it wouldn't have stood a chance if it had been hard hit.

Might have been on the edge of an area.

With only one incendiary bomb hit, and that a dud, it was extremely lucky!

I hope that it is retained, even if not as an operating station.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

I get it, and I am happy that they are building a replica. Because lets face it, Japan is filled with replica's (temples, castles, etc.)

It's the end for the old Harajuku station building. 😞

No more trains or passengers through it as of yesterday.

Video: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200321_12/

The building is set to be demolished after the Olympics (if they end up happening)

The first train from the new building ran today.

So sad to see it go, this was I think the second station in Japan I went to.

Admittedly, it was probably too small, I remember thinking 'geez these platforms are narrow'.

• Sad 2

The station is still in the same place, just with a larger relocated entrance building and the temporary platform on the Meiji JIngu side (only used over the New Year period) has been converted into a permanent one for clockwise trains.

I wonder if they enlarged the pedestrian tunnel at the Takeshita-dori end, it was way too small.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:14 AM, railsquid said:

I wonder if they enlarged the pedestrian tunnel at the Takeshita-dori end, it was way too small.

Didn't look like it, from a brief alight a few weeks back. The new station building should be much less prone to congestion than the old one. Was a bit underwhelmed by the new platform to be honest though.

Meanwhile the old station building is to be demolished starting some time later this month, to be replaced by a modern building with a similar design.

https://trafficnews.jp/post/98998

Edited by railsquid