Kato platforms

Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts

I recently ordered the Kato overhead station set as well as 1 set each of both the older platforms (with the shiny grey floor) and the more modern platforms (with the tiled floor). I got them mainly to make sure I design my main station so that it fits the overhead station especially. The platforms I'll likely try to make a model of and get 3d printed, considering I want parts of the station to be in a gentle curve.

Anyway, is it just me, or does the roof of the modern platform seem way out of scale? I mean, I can place 2 trains on top of each other, and they'll still fit underneath the roof. Also, they're much higher than the walls of the over station, which makes it look really awkward.

I really like the look of the tiled floor, but the roofs look almost H0 scale to me.

Looking at the photos in internet, the modern one-sided looks as you described but the two-sided modern looks a bit better. From a distance I see what you are talking about. But I think part of this is allowing for the overhead station and full overhead.  Ground floors usually run 10-15 feet, tram overhead 18-22 feet and express trains run about 4000mm or 13.12336 feet.  So yes, with just tram overhead, let along full catenary out you could visually fit in two trains.

post-75-0-90914000-1465220695_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-25255500-1465220742_thumb.jpg

There is also the issue of all the stuff hanging from platform ceilings: solari boards, clocks, advertising signs and still leave clearance at platform level. Older stations do not have these to the same extent.

Its hard to find the same angle for 23-100 and 23-111.  Perhaps the older Kato platforms are from older mainline stations and the newer stations are built to modern Shinkansen traffic standards.

Edited by bill937ca
Martijn Meerts

I have a set of the double sided one. May have to try installing some of the shinkansen platform details (catenary, fences etc.) and see how that looks. Another problem is if you have the standard 4 track setup, with 1 track, platform, 2 tracks, platform, 1 track, the roofs are so close together that you can't really see the trains. Although, since I'm using Peco track and default Peco track spacing, obviously the platforms are quite a bit closer together as well.

Martijn Meerts

Yeah, I read a lot about them beforehand.

In the end though, I'm not likely to use the platforms as is, but I'm using them as a base to design custom ones to 3d printed. Was really just wondering if others felt like those roofs are just a bit much :)

The modern Kato platforms are also too high in my eyes, but there are examples of high Shinkansen platform roofs, such as in Himeji, Tokyo and Kyoto. The latter link also clearly shows that non-Shinkansen lines usually have lower platform roofs than Shinkansen.

Edited by Densha
  • Like 1
Welshbloke

I suspect it's related to the add-on kit they offer to fit overhead wiring supports to a pair of platforms (with double track between them). In order to cover that the roof needs to be high.

I mostly have the older type platforms (as I think they're a better match with the elevated station set and overhead station building) but might have to pick up a set of the modern platforms for my CV layouts. Those nifty short end pieces make a lot more sense with short straights than the longer ends of the old platforms, and they're not sold separately.

Martijn Meerts

Guess they are somewhat prototypical then. Can't say I like the look of them though. That add-on kit might indeed have something to do with it as well, considering they need the catenary to be high enough for trains with extended pantographs to be able to pass underneath.

Yes they do feel high to my eyes as well and I've always felt the new ones feel over scale to me. Probably also the large correlation on the new roofs does this as well. They also just feel heavy and it's not the feeling I ever rember in stations with larger platforms like this. Even some of the Shinkansen stations with really high roofs felt pretty light to me. But that was from an inside perspective being in it, what the model we see it from the outside mainly...

Jeff

I think the colours Kato uses and the plastic look also doesn't help. I think with some repainting and heavy weathering a much better look can be created. Like this:

Edited by Densha
  • Like 3
On 6/7/2016 at 2:55 PM, Densha said:

I think the colours Kato uses and the plastic look also doesn't help. I think with some repainting and heavy weathering a much better look can be created. Like this:

Do you by chance still have the video for this?