How far can you go on a basic ¥130 fare?

Ochanomizu

Hello,

While researching this question from member bluejeans, I came across a blog post about how far you can travel legally on a ¥130 ticket in one day.

The author bought a ticket from Tokyo to Kanda on the Yamanote Line, but instead headed in the Shimbashi direction on a journey that covered almost 500km and passed through 6 prefectures, before finally arriving at Kanda station.  Here is the route she took:

96958A96889DE1E1EBE0EBE0E2E2E3E0E2EAE0E2

I think that's pretty amazing.  She did this back in August 2011.  Can anyone beat that?

Edit: click on the grey ellipse on the linked page to see the full story and map.

Edited by Ochanomizu
  • Like 2

Interesting. Though the article says the ticket was bought at Harajuku, the author (a female reporter) was also sticking to the rule that the ticket is invalid if you pass through the same station more than once.

As she started at about 6:30am and finished just before 9pm, I reckon a few more km could be squeezed out.

bikkuri bahn

Heavy usage of outer region peripheral lines (i.e. Sagami, Hachiko,Ryomo, Mito Lines) to rack up the mileage.  I have seen other plans that have used more lines, complicating things, but perhaps resulting in less mileage overall.

bikkuri bahn

According to this map (seen also at 4:18 in the video above) theoretically you can go as far as Matsumoto with this trick, though I don't know if it really possible. I reckon somewhere in Yamanashi or Nagano the guard will come around to check tickets.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/kippu/1103.html#05

Edit: you can't, because you have to backtrack, which is forbidden. Only loop trips possible.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

As a foreigner I would definitely not try this.  I can just imagine trying to explain why at Tomobe I have a ticket from Harajuku from almost 11 hours earlier.  I'd save marathon rides like this for the Seishun 18 or other free pass.

Edit: Plus you'd be dependent on platform soba for sustenance.  How would you get healthy fare like pork bone ramen (extra large, of course), coco ichi curry, and pocky? :grin

Edited by miyakoji
  • Like 1

Edit: Plus you'd be dependent on platform soba for sustenance.  How would you get healthy fare like pork bone ramen (extra large, of course), coco ichi curry, and pocky? :grin

"Platform soba" sounds worryingly like a euphemism for something unpleasant.

Pocky is widely available at station kiosks. With some planning, ramen and other healthy fare is available at sit-down restaurants within larger stations.

No, I just mean soba noodles that you get on the platform, like at Himeji.  Ah, back in the day...  What did you think I meant? :grin

Here are some blogs from 2006.  It's been almost as long since I last saw the place, but I think this is it: http://blog.goo.ne.jp/itackey/e/d398c5a13938946bcefc9fb8da5533f5 , http://www.excite.co.jp/News/bit/00091143648669.html , http://www3.famille.ne.jp/~ki-palm/soba/himeji.htm .  Seems like people had a real aversion to large images back then, but maybe the cameras could only do 320x240 :grin

I never lived in luxurious greater Tokyo, those mega-stations with sit-down restaurants inside the gates are the stuff of legend.  But I accept that they exist, and I'm sure healthy food (maybe even with some vegetables!) is available.  Is it true that there are no gate attendants anymore?

But I really wouldn't try a marathon ride on a regular <200 yen ticket.  Seems risky.

The gates with attendants clacking their clippers are long gone in the greater Tokyo area, there's usually a booth/small manned office overlooking the row of ticket gates. Sometimes there will be peripatetic attendants at larger exits ready to assist with issues.

I did many long haul trips on a basic ticket back in my student days, never had any problems. Worst case is you end up paying the full fare to wherever you are. It's not like Europe (or possible N. America) where  you'll get slapped with fare-dodging fines.