kato 500 kei evangalion

railsquid

Wasn't this similar to the E665 and Imperial Car being released?  Not to the price extent of the EVA500, but from memory is was highly priced and made exclusive first run.

Yes it was and there was a pretty ugly mash up at the convention they first released the emperial car. Kato put out an apology letter and also made cars available to dealers fast to get them to everyone that wanted one. Plus the early release car did not come with the emperor's seal on it nor the loco flags that were included with the later release like 8 months later. Feeling a little burned from that (I had to source etched brass seals for the first release car and a flag set spare part fro another loco) I'm a bit hesitant to pay a lot for a first release like this that is pretty expensive. I don't mind the markup Nariichi San has to do on this as I would not like to think about what he may have to go thru to secure these trains at events! With all he anime fans interested as well it could be ugly! I can understand kato invested a lot into this model to land the deal and produce and this is a way to get a lot of attention and sales, but I think it comes at a risk to them...

Jeff

I think the convention they release these at is probably going to be the same. The types of anime fans that want this will complain if there is so much as a piece of dust on the box and demand a new one. Plus it'll probably turn ugly when they (inevitably) run out. 

I completely understand Nariichi-san's mark-up and don't envy the task he has at all trying to secure these. I don't know how Kato will handle distribution to dealers. 

It will be hilarious though if Tomix announces a release of this a month later though. They already sort of have rights to the design (Tomica makes a Plarail one which is probably the one I'll get) and it would be a no-brainer to do a regular release. 

Edited by nah00

one friend big in anime thought they may be better able to handle the wait in line for the limited addition as it goes on more in that world than the train world. but when worlds collide... different cultures and such. I too dont envy Nariichi san trying to get some of these for folks.

here is the plarail. bit of a markup (about 30%) over the regular 500.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10372624

it would be wonderful if tomix did it with all wheel pickup and no special release stuff. there is such a demand for this train im sure that it will get satisfied one way or another (even for the franchise there is a good chunk of money to be made that is gravy for them with little work and its so iconic now on the train that just builds the brand, not diluting anything. I still think Kato is using the special release to get time to ramp up production as it seems like its been challenging production wise. also make the most out of the press it gets before flooding the market. we shall seen!

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1
Guest keio6000

per nariichi-san's newsletter, what you just heard was the sound of a thousand kato 500eva preorders being cancelled at once.

the below is a direct quote from the newsletter of modeltrainplus.com

As you may already know, TOMIX announced TYPE 500 EVA available through standard channel as TOMIX 98959.  I already sent a notification to customers who pre-order KATO one.  But let me list up the difference between KATO and TOMIX.

1. DCC
Both are not DCC compatible.  You need to manually install decoder by yourself.  Both comes with LED lights.

2. Prototype
TOMIX one prototyping Series 500-7000, which is same as the actual train.  On the other hand, KATO using their existing Series 500 (KATO 10-510/511), which was released quite long time ago and there are some difference from actual train.

3. Exterior finishing
For both model, special coloring scheme having painted on exterior body.

4. Interior
KATO one has no difference from their existing product.  TOMIX will be newly designing interior part for car #1.  This means TOMIX will be simulating uniquely designed interior for car #1 such as EVA cockpit.  TOMIX one also comes with detailing decal to decorate interior of car #1 (no detail shared for this decal yet)

5. Price
KATO: 46,000 Yen
TOMIX: 29,750 Yen (no personal shopping commission required)

6. Availability
KATO: If I can get, it will be available in August.
TOMIX: Scheduled to be released in January, 2017.  But 100% availability if you place pre-order before it sell out.

TOMIX 98959 is already up for pre-order.  Please feel free to shoot any question.  I hope having a chance to see the KATO one on next monthly meeting.

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

Sounds like the Tomix version is going to be the better option, with the only advantage about the Kato version being that it'll come out before the Tomix one. But that's a really rather small advantage :)

This sounds like a no-brainer unless you're an Eva merch collector and are dead-set on getting on an exclusive (which I suspect there will still be a decent amount of people doing so) and there's some special bonus included with it (but we likely would have heard of that by now). The Tomix release seems to be a much better choice though if you want an authentic version of the train and will also likely come with some kind of exclusive packaging as well. Plus all-wheel pickup and it seems Tomix put more effort into this honestly. 

it seems Tomix put more effort into this honestly. 

Or Kato rushed theirs to get it out before the Tomix one which they may have had some inside information on that it was coming, and put a high price on it to get as much money out of the punters as they could while they had the chance.

No I think Kato knew tomix would do it, they would not be that dumb to expect them not to get in the game unless tomix had a long exclusive on the art. they know tomix has more production umph and a 500-7000 already and all wheel pick up to to get more takers and at a better cost. Unless they had an exclusive on the artwork they would have to assume tomix would want some of the action as they have competed in shinkansens traditionally and this one is a big seller. I think Kato just took a quick stab at what they could grab fast with what they had as doing anew train and the art they would have missed the summer shows. This way they get a splash at the shows and first whack, get folks into their stores this summer and maybe make a little money. Probably ran the numbers to do it later with a full new model and it wasn't so great and no big exclusive then.

Jeff

There were some examples whizzing around at JAM which I caught on video if anyone is interested (they were pointy-nosed and very colourful, if it helps).

I'd be interested, I don't know if i've missed and am now being too blind to see it, but was there a release date for them coming out?

I'd be interested, I don't know if i've missed and am now being too blind to see it, but was there a release date for them coming out?

If I remember right, than Kato is coming out in September, but only at a special event in Tokyo, and Tomix in January(pre orders are up at your supplier!!)

Edited by Sascha

If I remember right, than Kato is coming out in September, but only at a special event in Tokyo, and Tomix in January(pre orders are up at your supplier!!)

How then can you buy When?

KATO 500 Shinkansen "500 TYPE EVA" Evangelion first aircraft paint type 8-Car Set (including tax ¥ 30,000) will be sold in the following three ways.

① "model railroad contest" Venue (8/6 - 7 Tokyo Big Sight): 1000 set pre-sale (order after sale sold out at the venue)

②WEB reservation (up to 7 / 1-8 / 31): lottery sales if the students who wish to have exceeded the number of production (venue orders sale worth of priority)

③ "Hobby Center Kato Tokyo store" after the contest exhibition "KATO Kyoto Station shop," "KATO online shop", "EVANGELION STORE" in handling (but may not be sold by order sales at the time of the event)

http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/article/model/entry-767.html

How then can you buy When?

KATO 500 Shinkansen "500 TYPE EVA" Evangelion first aircraft paint type 8-Car Set (including tax ¥ 30,000) will be sold in the following three ways.

① "model railroad contest" Venue (8/6 - 7 Tokyo Big Sight): 1000 set pre-sale (order after sale sold out at the venue)

②WEB reservation (up to 7 / 1-8 / 31): lottery sales if the students who wish to have exceeded the number of production (venue orders sale worth of priority)

③ "Hobby Center Kato Tokyo store" after the contest exhibition "KATO Kyoto Station shop," "KATO online shop", "EVANGELION STORE" in handling (but may not be sold by order sales at the time of the event)

http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/article/model/entry-767.html

You should have preordered with Nariichi at Modeltrainplus, or David at Loco1hobby, but to my knowledge preorders are closed. You can contact them and ask. The EVA from Tomix is still available.

per nariichi-san's newsletter, what you just heard was the sound of a thousand kato 500eva preorders being cancelled at once.

the below is a direct quote from the newsletter of modeltrainplus.com

As you may already know, TOMIX announced TYPE 500 EVA available through standard channel as TOMIX 98959.  I already sent a notification to customers who pre-order KATO one.  But let me list up the difference between KATO and TOMIX.

1. DCC

Both are not DCC compatible.  You need to manually install decoder by yourself.  Both comes with LED lights.

2. Prototype

TOMIX one prototyping Series 500-7000, which is same as the actual train.  On the other hand, KATO using their existing Series 500 (KATO 10-510/511), which was released quite long time ago and there are some difference from actual train.

3. Exterior finishing

For both model, special coloring scheme having painted on exterior body.

4. Interior

KATO one has no difference from their existing product.  TOMIX will be newly designing interior part for car #1.  This means TOMIX will be simulating uniquely designed interior for car #1 such as EVA cockpit.  TOMIX one also comes with detailing decal to decorate interior of car #1 (no detail shared for this decal yet)

5. Price

KATO: 46,000 Yen

TOMIX: 29,750 Yen (no personal shopping commission required)

6. Availability

KATO: If I can get, it will be available in August.

TOMIX: Scheduled to be released in January, 2017.  But 100% availability if you place pre-order before it sell out.

TOMIX 98959 is already up for pre-order.  Please feel free to shoot any question.  I hope having a chance to see the KATO one on next monthly meeting.

Hi,

I'm new here.  Have got the Shinkansen bug.

Sounds like the Tomix version is the better option for cost and availability.

I have several Shinkansen, all Kato.  Do Tomix run just a well, and nice fast speed?

Thanks

Hi and welcome! The shinkansen bug bites hard, beware!

Tomix runs as perfect as Kato... the main difference being that Tomix has the specially decorated car number 1 that is fully printed that Kato does not have. Also, Tomix has the power coupler system over the Kato which further ensures good electrical contact for interior lighting and slow speed running.

Both Kato and Tomix have their own good points with regards to shinkansens, but you certainly can't go wrong with most of the modern Tomix models.  I've also got a pre-order for the Tomix EVA 500.

The all wheel pickup/power couplings are the big feature I like for running. If you have issues with dirty track at all this can be a huge help for smooth running and lighting. Out club show layout gets a lot of exposure to smutz from storage, transport and venues (one main one being the cow barns at the fairgrounds!) and bursts of long runs so lots of oil and dirt build up fast (we do clean away all the time) and the tomix power copping shinkansens will just run and run!

Jeff

I would go Tomix all the way. The train is more accurate to the prototype and the packaging for it looks pretty nice. Haven't seen what Kato's packaging looks like. Also all-wheel pick up is a nice feature on a 8-car train. 

wowzer.  they haven't updated their 16 car nozomi to a 8 car kodama yet.  but they are releasing this? haha

I have that 7 car nozomi (kato 10-382) and I'm still waiting for 8 car kodama...maybe they'll release 500 eva and 8 car kodama at the same time hopefully

• Like 1

1. DCC

Can you clarify this? Is it a difficult install? What level of skill is needed?