Kato DCC decoders for EMU's

loulasalle

loulasalle

Here is the text of your post to paste in

Hi Folks,

I can use a little assistance. I have a Kato 10-1280 9300 Series EMU, that i have converted to DCC, but the problem is that while it runs fine, I cannot get the decoders in the end cars to function.
My NCE Pro system will not read the decoders, but i did force the issue and assigned them an address. That worked exactly one time. I had head, and tail lights for the entire session. Next day, nothing! reprogrammed, but they still are not functioning. Help would be appreciated.

Lou 

Kato cab (end) car decoders are write only. You should program them one by one, separately. They are default off, so you have to turn them on every session with the FL (=F0) function button.

Programming the Digitrax decoder with NCE has issues. I don't think their command structure is straight forward. I just started using NCE to test inter- operateability and found that the address would get lost. 

Reset CV08 to 008 or x08 to reset everything to factory. Then use 003 address to gain control. From their you need to set everything one by one like kvp suggested. NCE does not seem to read Digitrax very well.

I just configured the Decoder pro/JMRI with the NCE but have not started the testing with it yet. I let you know when I do. I want to see if the read back and programming capabilities is better with JMRI. I think noise causes garbled decoder messaging which fails to program the correct address.

I noticed that addresses 003 verses 3 are two different values.

Inobu 

Edited by inobu

Normally they are both 3, but 003 also enables long addressing and sets the long address to 3. Some decoders respond to both short and long addresses when a short one is set as a long, while others don't.