Silicone Rail

Das Steinkopf

Das Steinkopf

AmiAmi has just listed Silicone Rail in 1m lengths, this product will be very handy for those of us who have rail carrying wagons or vehicles in our fleets such as KiYa 97 and ChiKi 6000 etc, it would also be perfect for modelling the check rail on curved sections of track like you would see on the Hakone Tozan and Keihan Keishin.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-21593&page=top

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 1

Thanks, very Interesting! wonder though if it might be too flexible! going to have to pick one up!

Charles and I both have the plastic flex rail

http://www.nscalekits.co.uk/welded_rail.html

and it seems like it might be stiffer than this stuff but even that stuff its a concern to keep it looking straight! 

for the 97 it may not need to be flex as long as you dont go around sharp curves if you put the lockdowns on pivots like the prototype. on the chikis its fine as it has a lot of attachment points to have it snake along and be straight on the straight bits.

i was meaning to measure the flex rail to see if it would work for code 80 track as check rails as well. its about $2/meter so a bit cheaper than $7/meter. 

cheers

jeff

Interesting... Sorry noob question... Silicon isn't an electrical conductor right? I'm curious how the train would run...

Das Steinkopf

Interesting... Sorry noob question... Silicon isn't an electrical conductor right? I'm curious how the train would run...

You would use it for purely cosmetic detail, using it to emulate a check rail for example would be perfect as the wheels don't physically ride on them so there is no need for it to have electrical contact, given the sharp radius of the curves on lines such as the Hakone Tozan it would be far easier to use than plastic or metal rail due to it's flexibilty. The only concerns I have is what glues and paints I will use on it and the durability of those especially when it comes to bonding and flaking, once I get it I will test out what works the best with it.

Edited by Das Steinkopf

You would use it for purely cosmetic detail, using it to emulate a check rail for example would be perfect as the wheels don't physically ride on them so there is no need for it to have electrical contact, given the sharp radius of the curves on lines such as the Hakone Tozan it would be far easier to use than plastic or metal rail due to it's flexibilty. The only concerns I have is what glues and paints I will use on it and the durability of those especially when it comes to bonding and flaking, once I get it I will test out what works the best with it.

Ahah! That explains things. Thanks Das san!  :)

Das Steinkopf

Sammy just to give you an idea, it would be nice to get track chairs to mount it on but in N Scale details such as that are not a necessary as it would be in larger scale such as HO or O gauge.

18765449765_61f225793b_z_d.jpg

17285187806_50ca1bf22e_z_d.jpg

Regards

Dave

Probably have to use two-part epoxy for best results but you'd have to work fast with a toothpick. I guess if you just do small amounts at a time it wouldn't be bad. Painting it should be fine as long you paint it and keep it the angle you want to and then seal it. I think. Really hard part is keeping the angle you want since it's so floppy. 

I just received two packages of this from HS today and really wish I hadn't ordered it, as I consider it junk.

It is simply a rubber strip, with two slight recesses running the length of it on one edge only - supposedly to represent three strips of rail.

There is absolutely no effort to create anything looking like a rail shape.

I also suspect that it could be a real mess trying to cut it evenly for check rails, etc.

I recommend the product from the UK that Jeff provides a link to above.

I heard back from HS on this today, and they said 

"the item is of lower quality than initially anticipated". 

An understatement to be sure.

I find Ryo Negishi there to be a very good guy, and he always looks into matters and provides an intelligent response - even if I can't agree with it.

I suggested automated recombination of orders when a product is delayed, and he said he'll look into it.

I replied:

I will never order another product from this manufacturer.  I suggest that
the Train department manager examine any new product from them before
listing it for sale, or he will have many disappointed customers.
I accept that you cannot do anything, but still hold Hobby Search
responsible for not exercising "due diligence" in this matter.  I am stuck
with some rubber junk that I cannot use for anything, because you promoted
it as rail, when it is clearly not.

HS should know what manufacturers you can trust and which ones you cannot.
By marketing the product you are putting your own reputation behind it, and
this example makes you look very bad for selling this useless piece of junk
to your customers.

Das Steinkopf

I'm glad I only ordered one pack of it, as Charles has stated it is far from impressive and to be quite frank it looks more like something that should be used as fly screen rubber than a model rail product.

I wonder if it was possibly a found product, made for something else but looked like it could pass as rail...

The flex rail is decent stuff. Not as detailed as ns code 40 rail, but passible and decent flex if you want to do long welded rail but stiff enough to so shorter sections. Appears to be abs so should glue well. Decent price for a pile of it and shipping to the us from uk only $5. You do get little cast traditional welded rail flat car racks as well!

I keep meaning to put some down on Unitrak to see how it looks and works as guard rails, I'll try to get to it this weekend.

Jeff

Not as detailed as ns code 40 rail . . .

That's my basic issue - it would do fine as a check rail, but would look awfully tiny as welded rail on any sort of carrier.

However, it does indeed look like rail, which is more than can be said for the Model Icon "fly screen rubber".

Jeff might have a point re. its origin.