Cosmic Acrylic Kits

maihama eki

maihama eki

Does anyone have experience with building these?

They utilize pieces made from acrylic plastic that I have not worked with for a long time.

I bought some special acrylic cement to use, but I have also read that CA might work.

I am wondering about compatibility with paint.  I would probably use Tamiya primer to prime it, and then go from there.

I have a few of these kits, and am starting with this parking tower (the taller one) since it is the simplest.

http://www.eonet.ne.jp/~cosmic-rm/pa-kinngukitto.html

It is quite well made.  I was able to assemble the entire kit just dry-fitting the pieces.

post-550-0-48543400-1463607085_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the late response

I've built two of these - The matching blue low-rise and high-rise office buildings.  They are very interesting in that they are almost designed as three-dimensional jigsaw puzzles.

These two particular kits were see-through so they included some mylar paper to make the windows reflective.  Unfortunately, I threw two pieces out when unpacking the pieces, not realizing they were part of the kit.  So just realize what these pieces are for.

Also, note that CA glue will "cloud" the clear pieces if you are not careful - I'm speaking from experience.

maihama eki

Probably more than a year ago, I got tired of staring at this unfinished parking garage on my workbench. I had stalled out initially on a few small items.

1. I wasn't sure about using acrylic cement without making a mess. The cement that I used, SCIGRIP Weld-On number 4, is super volatile. You basically dry assemble the join you want to glue, and flow some of the cement into the joint. It softens the acrylic it contacts and bonds pretty much instantly. The cement flows rapidly and evaporates in just a few seconds. You do get a really strong joint, but it's not like using most other adhesive. It's also not something you want to inhale much.

2. I didn't like the mirror smooth surface of the acrylic. Even painted, it looks wrong. I sort of solved this by sanding the surface on the acrylic in one direction to tone down the mirror finish. It's almost not visible in the final model, but I think it did help and it also helps the paint adhere.

3. I wanted to add a turntable and interior detail.

In the end, I liked how it turned-out. It's a tall structure - around 100 ft/30 m tall.

I finally also took a few photos.

IMG_6780sm.thumb.jpg.63fc5dad0663c67f01f1ec43e4d1678a.jpg

IMG_6785sm.thumb.jpg.d92bca5f1c885eec2a08dc63f956a4b5.jpg

Showing some of the interior and exterior details I added.

IMG_6784sm.thumb.jpg.3d71db1847037373290805a88bd22841.jpg

IMG_6787sm.thumb.jpg.2296331b44ca6dd8078f1e4214ac55a6.jpg

Some added roof details.

IMG_6788sm.thumb.jpg.db355943f67825a7f4db19ba466b27a1.jpg

Edited by maihama eki
  • Like 5
maihama eki

I decided to cut a new base piece to implement the turntable and the recess for the car elevator.

The base as supplied from Cosmic.

IMG_3595sm.thumb.jpg.9b6f112e11c92a219456732c679eb81f.jpg

I duplicated the outline and cuts for the assembly tabs and added the turntable and elevator recess. I sent the design to Ponoko.com for cutting. I don't have a laser cutter. I've used Ponoko a few times and they do good work. I made 2 just in case. Here's the leftover one with the protective paper still on. They are really good at laser cutting acrylic - the edges come out super smooth and clean.

IMG_3596sm.thumb.jpg.4a1c4707c8dc2c07df2a02841650d13e.jpg

Here's the new base, complete with some details and ready to assemble.

IMG_3597sm.thumb.jpg.ec5edacc3618c5aee5f966c3544deb19.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice job on the parking tower and the update. I have a building from Outland Models that has a "P" on it now I think I know what the building if for thanks. 

• Like 1

I’m sure someone in Japan has created a motorized version of one of the parking elevators. Everytime I see a picture of one my mind instantly goes to trying to come up with some sort of simple system to do one, but not hit on anything that’s not a bit of very fiddly work. Basically two belts with little pieces of tubing on that the little carriages would dangle from on either end. Doable but fiddly to fit in the minimal space of these buildings. Someday…

jeff