Wakasa Railway's pink C12

On 1 May 2016, Wakasa Railway presented their pink painted C12 167. This was done to promote Tottori prefecture's trademark colour pink, as was already done with pink soy sauce, pink ramen and a pink train station. After a few runs with a 'Torokko' car on 3, 4, 5 and 8 May, the C12 167 was to be painted back to its usual black colour from 9 May.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.jp/2016/05/01/wakasa-pink-sl_n_9818760.html

Edited by Densha
  • Like 1
Ochanomizu

Hello,

In this world there are certain things you should not do if you want to live a long and healthy life:

- smoke;

- swim with sharks;

- hand feed wild lions;

- parachuting;

- put your head in the mouth of a salt water crocodile;

- base jumping; and

- paint your steam engine pink!

Edited by Ochanomizu
  • Like 2

Use white soy sauce (evidently there is such a thing) and add red beetroot. According to the linked website.

Steam locomotives are usually painted black as they tend to color themselves that color anyway. In the past, green, blue and even red was used until everybody realised that after a week or so they will be black.

For the soy sauce, you apparently take white soy sauce and add a bit of natural carmin red: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/08/01/can-our-japanese-writers-guess-what-this-pink-soy-sauce-is-by-taste-alone【video】/

Martijn Meerts

It's not just pink, it's hot pink ..

I'd get a model of that, just imagine the reactions at a model train show ;)

Perhaps when I get the new Tramway C11's one of my old Micro Ace ones will go in front of the air brush.

Martijn Meerts

Perhaps when I get the new Tramway C11's one of my old Micro Ace ones will go in front of the air brush.

Hmm.. I still have one of those older oversized Kato C11's .. And I have a bottle of airbrush ready hot pink .......

• Like 1

I just had another look at the photos and realised the post is captioned wrong, it's not a C11 but a C12.

I just had another look at the photos and realised the post is captioned wrong, it's not a C11 but a C12.

hmmm I wonder what distracted everyone :grin

• Like 1

Oops, you're right! Except for the smoke deflectors, C12's look really similar to C11's, and with the distracting pink this just had to happen. I fixed the topic title and the first post.

Edited by Densha

Might have stumbled onto an idea here.  If you can't get the correct model paint it pink and no one will notice. :)

Might have stumbled onto an idea here.  If you can't get the correct model paint it pink and no one will notice. :)

Since i've got quite a few 'Look Thomas!' shoutes both from parents and kids for my blue Bo-Bo electric boxcab locomotives, i think any color will work for most people. They can't really differentiate between a blue tank steamer with side rods, a chimney and a huge face with two eyes and a blue electric with two pantographs and a windshield instead of a face, they just match colors from some tv show/book they last seen... and then my fellow modellers were angry when during the next (non modeller) kid friendly shopping center show, i just replaced the electric lok with an actual Thomas model. At least the kids were right that time.

Maybe I should paint my 1/24 scale C62-2 pink ;)

You may get shunned martijni if you do!

Jeff

Davo Dentetsu

I would like to point out the best form of advertisement for anything is to be unsubtle and in your face.  Doesn't matter if we think it's sodding destroying our eyes or if it's a big hit, we just spent this long talking about WR. :)

yes its ugly marketing! it does work! its the kind i hate the most as its got no finesse or elegance to it! 

jeff

• Like 1

Ok, i just imagined a nagano white/light blue and a yokosuka cream/blue painted SL... How about a tank steamer in yamanote green color with old 16m wooden coaches in the same color? (imho it would look huge as a Tokyo tourist train during the olympics)

Hah, but then you'd have to find somewhere it could run...