Crazy Auctions / Prices Thread

cteno4

Are people actually buying these things at these prices? 

http://kainavi.search.yahoo.co.jp/search/?bycode=fwdd&ei=UTF-8&p=kato+2006-3&tr=item

I have one and I have to say, it's pretty worthless to me as it's just sitting in it's box as I much prefer the newer 2016-1 D51 498 as it is so much more detailed and runs much much better.  

On Yahoo Auctions  2006-3 sells for 11-14K JPY.  I agree that the revised Kato D51s are much nicer models, but the Orient Express logo makes 2006-3 desirable still. Of course, 2016-2, the revised D51 498 Orient Express locomotive, is the version in highest demand.

If you aren't a fan of your 2006-3, why not sell it on eBay as a buy-it-now?  They are still worth around 200 dollars in the USA. 

TheNicofabi

Well... I feel like i am the only one that mentiond but if you scroll down you actually find the stickers for that 500... So in my opinion definitly not even worth 40k yen lol

Welshbloke

Ebay UK seems to produce some frankly daft Unitrack prices.

People are paying the same amount (or more) for used track than you'd pay to buy it brand new from Traintrax (who're based here, so no danger of a HMRC ransom demand). I really can't understand it!

• Like 1

The same happens on ebay us with unitrak, never makes sense to me as I'm sure part of the pile of track probably won't be what you want/need!

Jeff

Evidently the words 未使用, 新品 and 未開封 have alternative meanings to the ones I know)

The box seems to have been gnawed on and stored someplace damp for a decade or two.  But hey, it's still "new"!

:icon_scratch:

• Like 1

Obscure non-Japanese thing Railsquid really wants... 5 days no bids, now 1 bidder (not railsquid)... 20 hours to go... how much is that bidder willing to pay above the initial price?

All that really counts is how much are you willing to pay to have it and/or will you succumb to auction madness?!

Good luck!

Jeff

Well in the last 10 minutes it went beyond my "willing to pay", beyond my "oh go on then" and beyond my "bidding war KILL KILL KILL" limit, so someone really wanted it more than me. Problem with Yahoo Auctions is that they keep extending until someone gives up, so eBay-style sniping doesn't work. Would have been nice to have... Still, #firstworldproblems. On the plus side I just noticed a piece of junk which will come in useful for another project I have in mind (provided no-one decides they want to pay silly money for it).

Lol, it can be quite the adrenaline rush that can empty the wallet! Especially open ended auctions like that!

I've always been interested in the psychological difference between fixed and open ended auction bidding. Open ended you have that short bit to keep re-evaluating will I go higher or perhaps get sane and stop as its not a 2 second decision (if you are bidding near the end of a fixed auction). But on fixed auctions to combat sniping you do need to carefully evaluate the max you would ever pay, but knowing you only have one shot might force some to go a bit higher that they were calculating it worth to them!

Jeff

Most items are usually available from other sources or at a fixed price. Its a good idea never to go above those prices. Many times when i see an auction run off like this, i just go and buy at the other source. This leaves rare and hard to get items, where you have to set a price and only check after the timeout if you have won or not. I usually also look for the original recommended price as an absolute top limit, especially for used but good condition items and go down from there.

This works nicely irl too at local markets as many times i just checked the online prices on my phone and if they were cheaper with shipping than locally, then i just told this to the seller and if he kept the price, then just left and got the items online. (not going to buy a used train for the price a new one is available with a bit of googling)

By fixed I meant fixed time auction that ebay does vs the let bidding go on after cut off time as long as folks keep bidding w.i a set short period of time. The two different kinds of auction style elicit different behaviors by bidders. Auctions are all about excitement driving up prices even though most go in for a bargain it's always a risk to get swept up into trying to win!

Many hate the fixed time auctions as they feel that snipers steel stuff, but it boils down to they did not put in their max price. Many times its just the disappointment of loss and that's what can get folks to bid higher than their max in open end auctions.

Jeff

Ochanomizu

Hello,

In 2012 I paid far too much for MicroAce A2152 Odakyu 3000 Series 5-Car Set on Yahoo Auctions, simply because it was the ONLY Odakyu Romance Car set that I was missing and I already had the A2155 5-Car Add-On set.  I paid ¥45,000 for the immaculate when really it was worth around ¥34,000 as it was at Liberty in Akihabara about a year later.  It was the one and only time I lost my mind in an auction.

Since I do ebay auctions I've got the time limit and I usually good at waiting until near the end of an auction to get it. I wait to see if the bidding has gone over what I think it's value (or its worth to me, which could be very different), if not I'll bid what it's worth near the end and unless I get excited (I try not to do) if getting out bid I rarely go much over what I think is a good price or what I would be willing to pay for it personally just cause I want it. Those two are the hard distinction to split in auctions as they differ for each bidder and for each item! If it's something I want but can't be around at the auction end I'll just put in my top bid and let it ride.

I do find may bidders on ebay don't bid as high as they are willing to pay, especially if they are a current top bidder. Some are upset when someone comes in near the end and outbids them and they were willing to go higher or even if they were not willing to go higher. It's interesting mix of psychologies going on!

Also I find two different things I generally look for at auctions, the rare stuff that is uber hard to come across elsewhere or bargains. Bargains I can easily let go as it's only good if you get it cheap. These are generally things you could easily pickup elsewhere. The rare things are the harder things to value. There is the street value you may be able to come up with but since rare it could take a long time to find buyers if you did want to sell it and auctions are fickle with who is bidding, the economy, time of year, etc... Also it can at times be a long time before another comes up for sale or auction and do you want it now! These items really make you have to think how much would I pay of it for myself to get it now! That's something that only the individual can come up with!

Jeff

• Like 1

11 cars for $500 NZD! Wow.........

Luckily I've got a 16 car set which I picked up,as individual cars at a Popondetta store in an Osaka Aeon mall which has since closed, certainly cost me less than $500 for the 16 cars! From memory they were ¥700-800 a piece.

11 cars for $500 NZD! Wow.........

Luckily I've got a 16 car set which I picked up,as individual cars at a Popondetta store in an Osaka Aeon mall which has since closed, certainly cost me less than $500 for the 16 cars! From memory they were ¥700-800 a piece.

Just had another look! He had the sets at $600 to start with when I first spotted the auction. HaHa!

Is it worth dropping a few hints re the price?

I was surprised to see the Narita express set go for over $100, and the fact 36 people had it on their watch list, I thought there was only a handful of us interested in NZ, perhaps there's more interest out there than I thought!

Is it worth dropping a few hints re the price?

I was surprised to see the Narita express set go for over $100, and the fact 36 people had it on their watch list, I thought there was only a handful of us interested in NZ, perhaps there's more interest out there than I thought!

I suspect most of the watchers are collectors or N scale modellers who model other countries and are curious to see the prices reached at auction! Even now I watch some of the English N scale auctions to gauge interest and to see prices reached (No interest in modelling English though)Never fails to surprise me when layouts appear for auction in N scale or even HO/OO, how badly planned or executed and prices they are asking. Some even get relisted and I have a semi photographic memory to remember them originally and you can tell the newer seller got in way over their head with skills and knowledge and also that the layout was not worth the money they paid. I will wait to see if this listing get relisted before commenting!

I always wonder if they just missed a decimal point...

But did you notice, one sold? Wonder if it was to himself to prime the pump...

Jeff

Edited by cteno4