Fish Lips Train

Guest bill937ca

Bill,

Did they just dress up the front and back of the train? I'm expecting it to mouth,

"All aboard!" when it comes into the station.

Martijn Meerts

That'd be the Kiro59 series "Resort Saloon Festa" Joyful Train. MicroAce has announced both an older and renewed design model for April 2008.

As far as I know, the lips can move on the prototype, and they can be moved manually on the model as well ;)

Martijn Meerts

I've had the model on pre-order for a while already, I'll post some pictures once I get it ;)

Martijn,

I had to look it up on Hobby search to see what you order and I really was surprised that it does come with "fish lips". I thought it was added as a decoration on the Kiro59 for a limited time, I was surprised to see it's a permanent fixture.

Martijn Meerts

It seems to be quite a popular train.. I'm not entirely surprised something like this runs around in Japan though ;)

Of course, it should be a great model for kids to look at during train shows. Long fast trains running together with short trains that look like fish, that's bound to be a success ;)

Under the lips is a backlit destination board. on the microace model you can hinge the bottom lip up to cover the board up or pull it down to display it. it is a really funny looking train. would be fantastic if the lips moved by themselves on the model, but hey for $115 train you cant expect that!

would be fun to animate guessing if you were really into it some memory wire and a tiny circuit that would do a power on power off to expand/contract the wire and pivot the lips. would be micro circuitry!

cheers

jeff

LOL, thats the funniest train Ive ever seen.

Yeah, the motorman can use the controls in the train to make the lips move to music so it sings...

:grin

I have fairly recently bought a Micro-ace one. If there is any interest I will load up an image. Although I am not quite sure how to get it in the posting. Particularly browsing from my one images.

One question. ???

There seems to be some provision for close coupling to be added afterwards. Does any one know what product number I should order-preferably from HW or Rainbowten?

cheers Graham H

CaptOblivious

:grin

I have fairly recently bought a Micro-ace one. If there is any interest I will load up an image. Although I am not quite sure how to get it in the posting. Particularly browsing from my one images.

One question. ???

There seems to be some provision for close coupling to be added afterwards. Does any one know what product number I should order-preferably from HW or Rainbowten?

cheers Graham H

Micro Ace products, depending on how recent they are, will specify either Tomix TN couplers or Micro Ace couplers. Both are interchangeable, so don't use the Micro Ace couplers, as they are not very good. The sheet that comes with your model will tell you which part numbers you need. Note that Tomix is retooling their body-mount couplers (the kind that MA models use), so you will need to look up the part number and compare it against the table here: http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1586.0.html

Then, just order those parts from whereever you like!

CaptOblivious

Many thanks for info. but still seem unable to put an image on the post

Graham

Down below, click "additional optons…" then "Choose File", and the rest will be self-explanatory (I think?)

I have taken some more quick images on camera's lowest setting-whether that was the problem I don't know-it wasn't a problem before. They show the lips both open and closed. One side -the open one-is little stiff so I have just left it. I will take a couple more showing the side of the train probably on Monday.

There is a light on between the lips whether going back or forward.

I noticed the original posting last year but when I was ready to buy it near Christmas the exchange rate had gone from around 200 Yen to the pound to around 113. Any way I bought at 160  but still paid around 25 % more.  And I still think they are good value. After buying from HW I noticed a dealer mentioned on this forum was selling them off. Sorry I will have to look them up for the name but it wasn't Rainbowten or Hobby world. Any way I am very pleased and will add the close coupling in a couple of weeks. :grin

Graham H

Graham - I never saw the train before, you might be the only member that has one. I also didn't know the lips were movable, now if you can get it to sing. :grin

Graham - I never saw the train before, you might be the only member that has one. I also didn't know the lips were movable, now if you can get it to sing. :grin

These are not singing. They have cigars in their lips!!!!   :cheesy  And bulging eyes!!

Some people have too much time.  :grin

Or Bill, it's this modeler's answer to Shiny-Time Station and Thomas. You're right they do smoke, do they get they're own smoking section on the layout? :grin