Jump to content
JNS Forum
Sign in to follow this  
_NX

What did you order or the post deliver? (Other hobbies)

Recommended Posts

So I went back to the show briefly today and bought a nice new double miter sled for the table saw. It was on a big sale and only the price of a train, sooooo... would not have bought it at the regular price, I can do without it but at that price... weakness.

 

Cheers,

 

jeff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2018 at 1:00 PM, cteno4 said:

So I went back to the show briefly today and bought a nice new double miter sled for the table saw. It was on a big sale and only the price of a train, sooooo... would not have bought it at the regular price, I can do without it but at that price... weakness.

 

Cheers,

 

jeff

 

A good bargain is always a good thing to have , that should ease up things around !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes when needed it’s really handy and this one is well thought out and made, so nice... I can make do, but always nice having the cherry accessory with the new Saw! Actually layout and Ttrak sawing has me doing lots of cuts that this will Be handy for and we are going to do a big batch of Ttrak modules soon for the club soon... doncha love sweet justification!

 

jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some money went into new hifi equipment this month. 

Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X headphones and some cheap tube amps to experiment with.

DU8Wd3pXUAAhqlH.thumb.jpg.1a1bf6cf8ed1b60a32622f9a0cbee9de.jpgDVG0UT-X4AAP4XO.thumb.jpg.276915e270d044c8d6c2c298964f4133.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A collection hobby after working in Alaska off and on many years after grad school. Luckily some friends around me at the time encouraged me to spend more than my very meager income at the time could afford to buy a number of quality carvings. I kept collecting when I would visit and now and then on ebay. In the last decade it’s become the rage for the movie stars to have northwest walls and the prices have really skyrocketed so now it’s waiting for the deals once and a great while on ebay... this was a nice piece from the 70s that came across ebay reasonable a few weeks back. Orca and wolf get mixes some.

 

cheers

 

jeff

09DCFA19-47EE-4C19-9705-42484FBAC143.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my wife has been wanting a new dog after our great old one passed away a couple of years ago. She has been looking at the dog rescue adoptions and the puppy cams at the service dog places for Great Danes for a while now. Well one came along and we finally went to look at it today. Turned out to be a bit to puppy energetic (7 months) and headed for a bit bigger size than we were looking at, but her father was there and mellower and a bit smaller at 47lbs and 2 years old so no big changes left really. Of course a bit freaked out at the rescue event, but seemed he could be pretty calm in the chaos. My wife was concerned as he was not in your face I love everyone dog, but I thought once home he seemed like he had a very loyal. So we got him. Got him home and within 5 minutes he was snuggling and after some dinner he was ready to play for a while but would mellow if you stopped for a bit and not be stuck in that out of control fever mode! So seems like exactly what we needed! 

 

His name is simba but may get a new one. I usually end up calling the dogs weener or dog...

 

lickily i saved the best toys from our old dog and he’s happily playing fetch and tossing the squirrel around. He also thinks he’s a lap dog...

 

cheers

 

Jeff

B8FB154B-717D-4C94-AC25-6F0AC57C4D9A.jpeg

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Densha De Go!

First section of the Yamanote Line from Ósaki to Ueno has been cleared. :grin

(Sammy, I got an HDMI and an USB cable with the set. I connect both of them to the TV, so I did not need any other adaptor, it went well.)

densha_IST.thumb.jpg.af114202fa37a857310045e3ba2ff672.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IST said:

Densha De Go!

First section of the Yamanote Line from Ósaki to Ueno has been cleared. :grin

(Sammy, I got an HDMI and an USB cable with the set. I connect both of them to the TV, so I did not need any other adaptor, it went well.)

densha_IST.thumb.jpg.af114202fa37a857310045e3ba2ff672.jpg

 

Cool! i think i probably ordered the one that didnt come with anything.... but luckily the HDMI cable from the PS works and the power source is just a Samsung type USB so any charger works fine... 

 

How do you like the game? i am feeling it is WAY different from the PS version... for one, i am very unhappy with the lack of departure tones for the stations.... that ring ding departure sound is very irritating... though it is a great idea especially so to keep the kids busy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

How do you like the game? i am feeling it is WAY different from the PS version... for one, i am very unhappy with the lack of departure tones for the stations.... that ring ding departure sound is very irritating... though it is a great idea especially so to keep the kids busy!

 

This is a typical DDG game without any improvement  in the last couple of years. So you got the same if you have ever tried the PS or PSP or mobile versions, nothing new. The selling point was for me is the controller and the easy useage, as you just plug it to the TV and play, so it very easy to put away which prevents some indignation from my wife. :grin

I love how the controller works, smooth while you can really feel the changes between the gears and it has something like a vibro-motor as you can experience some rumbles during driving the train which is a cool new feature. The announcements are the usual Japanese-English, so I became familiar again with the "Tsugi wa Kan-da,        Kan-da" announcement. :grin

For me (as a train sim fan) it worth the money, although it wasn't cheap (~15000 yen for the console and ~10000 yen for the post and taxes, ouch).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After finding this 20% off 3D printer,  I decided to learn a new skill!

01b.jpg.2e1c87501dd616466732628bef395992.jpg01a.jpg.6e303329840edd03cffbb8d2770987bc.jpg

A friend has been doing kinda cool stuff with his since last year so I think it is going to be interesting.

Now the biggest challenge is to find a place for it at home. Cheers!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nxcale said:

After finding this 20% off 3D printer,  I decided to learn a new skill!

A friend has been doing kinda cool stuff with his since last year so I think it is going to be interesting.

Now the biggest challenge is to find a place for it at home. Cheers!

 

Nice!  I've got one myself and I've had great fun with it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been avoiding the 3D printer scene.  I don't need another hobby :)

 

One of my neighbors has several (personally and through his company).  He has offered to let me use them but I just can't take more time to learn something new like this at this time.   It is so tempting though...   My brother (who lives in another state) has one.  He built another one buying parts and printing parts on his first one.  He has made a bunch of things.   R/C airplanes, multi rotor frames, fidget spinners, all sorts of things.  It looks so cool.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

 

Nice!  I've got one myself and I've had great fun with it.  

Yes, I hope it will be fun. I just need to find a place to install it.

I think it will eventually have to be in the garage or my partner will kick me out...

 

4 hours ago, chadbag said:

I've been avoiding the 3D printer scene.  I don't need another hobby :)

 

One of my neighbors has several (personally and through his company).  He has offered to let me use them but I just can't take more time to learn something new like this at this time.   It is so tempting though...   My brother (who lives in another state) has one.  He built another one buying parts and printing parts on his first one.  He has made a bunch of things.   R/C airplanes, multi rotor frames, fidget spinners, all sorts of things.  It looks so cool.

 

I know what you mean. I already have another "hobbies" that take some of my time so it could be tricky.

This printer will (hopefully) assist to my other hobbies rather than being a hobby itself.

 

For instance, I will need a fence (n scale accessory) for my layout and I was checking some online.

Probably I could get any fence then I would have to modify it (cut, glue, etc). Maybe the printer will help to make that fence and other things for my layout and for my other "hobbies".

But yes, I saw people making interesting stuff with these machines.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep resisting, I keep resisting...

 

jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×