railsquid

Indoctrinating children

chadbag
On 6/22/2019 at 11:04 AM, railsquid said:

The Squidlet's unprompted freelance attempt at an elevated station with attached biru in Plarail, Lego (Duplo), wooden blocks and whatever else comes to hand, which is IMHO not bad bearing in mind he's only 4-and-a-half (though purists might object to the Toden tram as a leading car in the E257 formation).

squidlet-plarail-station.jpg

That is awesome!  I assume the station bit itself is a Plarail item?

railsquid
1 hour ago, chadbag said:

I assume the station bit itself is a Plarail item?

Correct.

The roof is in the way but the platform is nicely but robustly detailed, reminiscent of a Tomix N scale one, which is hardly surprising I guess.

• Thanks 1

railsquid

What's going on here?

squidlet-2019-10-05a.jpg

Oh, just a couple of preschoolers pulling a 65-tonne train...

squidlet-2019-10-05b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

maihama eki

Advertisement for Japanese wheel bearings.

marknewton

Sometimes it's not just the kids that need indoctrination:

48875502497_c14c66a98d_k_d.jpg

My wife Paula borrowed our mock-up tram cab to display at her depot family day tomorrow.

Although it doesn't hurt to give them some:

48875502192_d420298264_k_d.jpg

Sydney R1 car 1979 is in the workshop with its trucks removed for some scheduled maintenance.

48875302401_373296e207_k_d.jpg

The two Sydney O class cars 805 and 1111 will be running as a coupled set on Sunday for the Transport Heritage NSW group visit, so we took the opportunity to couple them up this evening and make sure that everything works. It did, which says a lot for the quality of the design and manufacture of these two old girls. 805 was built in 1909, and 1111 in 1912. The O class was numerically the largest class to run on the Sydney tramway, with 626 cars in total. Only six cars survive in preservation, 5 here in Sydney and 1 in Oregon in the US, of all places.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Martijn Meerts

That O class is great.. I wonder how fast it'd get banned with current safety standards (read: idiot-proofing)

• Like 1

cteno4

Well there is still the San Francisco cable cars where you can hang out into the streets on the steps and grab bars! That on streets that if you were to fall off you might roll 6 or 7 blocks down into the bay! It really is amazing there are not more accidents with them. As it is, though, I think it is pretty high accident rate. Really is like how dangerous and potentially out of control system could we design for some really steep hills. It really is an amazing system, a couple of great school trips going down into the cable ways and propulsion stations. Use to be fun driving my 64 VW bug up some of those hills to a stop sign. You get very good using the emergency brake.

I have treasured memories as a kid riding the cable cars on the outside with wild abandon. Those days locals hopping on and off for a few blocks (especially up a bad hill) was well tolerated. It’s something to go over the edge from a flat street crossing down a hill hanging off the side, kind of like riding a roller coaster on the outside of the car and also having vehicles coming at you wizzing by!

jeff

• Like 3

marknewton
On 10/11/2019 at 12:52 AM, Martijn Meerts said:

That O class is great.. I wonder how fast it'd get banned with current safety standards (read: idiot-proofing)

The Os are beautiful cars in every respect. The passengers like their open compartments, and the crews like their big wheels and powerful traction motors.

At one stage the regulator wasn't going to allow us to operate crossbench cars like the O on the National Park line because it crosses the highway. They were concerned that someone might fall out and be struck by a car. So we pointed out that the centre compartments have doors, and the end compartments have offside boarding prevention bars that can be lowered. And we also pointed out that the biggest risk was to the conductor, riding on the footboards. They spent a day observing our operations and agreed that the risk was minimal. For once common sense prevailed.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton

marknewton

Jeff,

I envy you for having ridden the cable lines in those days. That must have been a memorable experience. I've only visited SF briefly when the Muni donated a PCC car to our museum. It was all a bit of a rush, and I only managed one ride on the California St line. I did have a run with the Hiroshima car, so that was a bonus.

Cheers,

Mark.

marknewton

Over the weekend the Campbelltown Steam and Machinery Museum held an open day at their Menangle site. Harry and I went out on Sunday with my mate Dave and his son. There was something for everyone there - a narrow gauge railway, traction engines and rollers, vintage cars, trucks, tractors, motorcycles and military vehicles. There was even a Russian-designed, Chinese-built crawler tractor. 

The boys got some quality footplate time on the little Hudson 0-4-0WT courtesy of our friend Greg, and a run around the grounds in a 1960s Toyota truck. As you can see, we had a great day.

48932325276_aa73f7bfef_k_d.jpg

48932510372_53650fcf9c_k_d.jpg

48928470937_bdc485ead0_k_d.jpg

All the days photos are here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/184841369@N08/0671r2

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 4

marknewton

Today the Sydney Bus Museum held an event to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Leyland Leopard buses being withdrawn from government service in Sydney. Their collection includes the first and the last Leopards delivered, so it was a good opportunity to get them out and give them a run. Harry and I made the trip over to Leichhardt and met up with my mate Ben and godson Elliot. Ben's been involved with bus preservation for many years, and came dressed for the occasion in Public Transport Commission uniform. The boys had fun, and so did Harry and Elliot! 😂

49005859367_3194cc0c93_o_d.jpg

The prototype Leopard, known as "Mr Whippy".

49005648391_b62e5b2833_o_d.jpg

Production Mk.1 Leopard.

49005647766_9286c793b9_o_d.jpgP

Mk.2 Leopard.

49005109378_5f2e7eb944_o_d.jpg

The boys.

49005647201_31283c9397_o_d.jpg

Some old baldy bloke...

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 2

marknewton

My son Harry had his first day of training as a conductor at the Sydney Tramway Museum today. I thought it would be best for him if I wasn't hovering in the background, so I handed him over to the traffic crew and then went about my own duties. I spent the day working on the steam tram and he worked the service trams under the supervision of our crew trainer Scott. Scott reckons he did very well, so this is a proud dad post! 🙂

49042368922_9c8913e3a4_k_d.jpg

49042368882_f6ae05bf3e_k_d.jpg

49041654253_880d06988d_k_d.jpg

Meanwhile, various projects are on the go in the workshop.  

49042157996_1d1d6bc06e_k_d.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

cteno4

Congrats Harry! Man he’s growing up fast!

jeff