Japanese Modelling & Japan Rail Enthusiasts Forum
railsquid

Indoctrinating children

So glad the little one likes trains too.  It was fun morning for everyone, not just daddy. :)

IMG_3149.thumb.jpeg.84350e9a2737b66bda52524633a63f73.jpegIMG_3169.thumb.jpeg.4486cfd4f86497b3452d0486dc980634.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2017 at 10:34 PM, marknewton said:

School holidays have started, which means play dates and train-watching trips:

gallery_22_222_1403196.jpg

The boys with a pair of Qube 11 class locos at Port Kembla.

Cheers,

Mark.

These look familiar, went to a Model Train Club Open House and saw these but in a different livery.  The owner was pretty proud and everyone was asking about his train and where it's from.  He only had 20 cars as compared to the actual 40 car The Ghan Train.  

IMG_3177.thumb.jpeg.494716e4ae0a6b7c98a15d3357e035c3.jpegIMG_3178.thumb.jpeg.9e13a755792226674319bff7a9bd4c25.jpegIMG_3181.thumb.jpeg.88bea0fe05864de9b648a91a80694dc0.jpeg

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 2

Nice photos Junior, was this at the HO club in Crockett? 

Yeah it was and because it was an open house, they had a lot of trains running.  This of course was the most interesting one.

• Like 1

G'day Junior,

They're similar, but not quite the same. The models are of these locos:

large.IMG_1678.JPG.cc9b8b4a3fa15eb3ff44f

They started out life as the National Rail Corporation NR class. When NRC was formed in 1992 they inherited a very mixed fleet of older second-hand locos from NSW, Victoria and the Commonwealth. The NR's were ordered in 1995, and eventually totalled 120 locos. At the time they were the most powerful locos in Australia, and by far the most sophisticated. I remember well the first time I worked one - it was marvellous! :)

The models are by Austrains/SDS. Auscision are releasing their version early next year:

http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/NR Class Locomotive.htm

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1

Last Saturday morning my family visited a live steam club track in Western Sydney that we hadn't been to previously, the Western District Live Steamers at Prairiewood. 

http://www.wdls.org.au

The blokes we met there today were very friendly and obliging. One of the members was running this beauty on the 71/4" gauge track:

large.IMG_9069.JPG.288d4ff9915f7d5042f58

Its a freelance 0-4-2 named "Emma". Mal, her owner, very generously let my son Harry have a little run of her. He loved it! 

And Dave, another member put Harry in the seat of his 44 class diesel loco:

large.IMG_9067.JPG.9917addd90aa3606371f1

If you're in that part of the world I can highly recommend a visit.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Thanks for the info Mark, I just might have to look into some Australian locomotives.  This also looks similar to the diesel your son is riding on.

fullsizeoutput_50d3.jpeg

Edited by serotta1972

On 9/18/2017 at 2:21 PM, Kabutoni said:

Having a morning out with papa to let mama do some things on her own. Considering my son has the same energy output of his parents, every second must have value, so we set a goal: Tokyu Train and Bus museum, with riding trains. Departing from Minami-machida, going all the way to Jiyūgaoka and Shibuya, then Miyazakidai for the museum and home again. All done and back before the afternoon... My body is broken, but it was worth it. :)

Oooh, didn't know about that one: http://www.tokyu.co.jp/museum-2/index.html

Is that the first mass production unit that was just delivered? Or is it 'just' the prototype?

Pleased to say that plans to go ahead with our second local Japan Festival are now ready to implement.  Only a once a year indoctrination so far, but hey, progress is progress!  :)

• Like 2

Just now, cteno4 said:

Man mini toni is growing fast!

He'll soon have to share...

• Like 1

Meanwhile, on Planet Squidlet this whole "talking" thing is becoming very popular, turns out the little blighter actually remembers the words I've been saying to him for the last 6 months (he kept pointing at things and making me tell him what they were called), so he's suddenly saying things like "kei-an onsen" and after running through various possibilities I realise it's "Keihan Honsen" then he runs to his train book and opens the page and points to the relevant train and says excitedly "kei-an onsen!". Which is kind of weird because Keihan is not exactly local, I guess he likes the colours. Today at least we had "yamano 'en" . Drives his mother crazy.

• Like 1