Indoctrinating children

railsquid

"We always had that, I just forgot which drawer I had placed it in!"

Edited by Gryphr

Lol! I can see the look on mrs squid’s face with her fists on her hips with mr squid giving this excuse and squidlette trying to look innocent...

jeff

Harry and went into the city this morning to attend the 2018 Transport Heritage Expo. On the way in we stopped at Arncliffe station to see these trains come by:

IMG_1924.PNG

IMG_1925.PNG

IMG_1926.PNG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
serotta1972

Either my daughter has shrunk or the trains got a lot bigger.  I always wanted to try O Scale, oh man it is something else going from N Scale and even HO. 🙂

IMG_4128.thumb.jpeg.bb18e7d8c2c1a5a1ecb943f5fda62733.jpegIMG_4131.thumb.jpeg.94d3afacf337db77e8f3eeef947bb17c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

That is huge! Lovely!

Is it just me, or are there 3 rails on the tracks?  

I like your Volkswagan Van in the background!

Junior, when are you getting the second house for the collection? Should be cheap and easy to do in SF!

jeff

• Haha 2
serotta1972
12 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

That is huge! Lovely!

Is it just me, or are there 3 rails on the tracks?  

I like your Volkswagan Van in the background!

It’s a dual guage track like they have in parts of Japan where they go from 3’6” to 4’8” track. Just kidding, Bill already answered it. And the VW Van is my daughters and she calls it her fire truck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
serotta1972
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Junior, when are you getting the second house for the collection? Should be cheap and easy to do in SF!

jeff

Getting the roof done hopefully this year and will have to look at making the attic a usable living area for the kids so I can take back one of the rooms. It wouldn’t work for me going up there - safety issue but Im sure my son would love to climb up there. Hehe. 😀

Not posting here any more, but I didn't want to withhold this one. A little emotional moment for the both of us to see one of the last runs of the Odakyū 7000 Series ever. Two days later this classic train would be sent to the local depot to be torn apart with two cars preserved for the future museum in Ebina.

IMG_20180717_220310.thumb.jpg.e583a058f80e60cfaafdebb18aee3f23.jpg

Taken at Rinkan-park, just behind the Ōno-shed.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Took my 8 month old on her first Shinkansen ride last week (to Osaka) and my son on his first ride since he has been old enough to remember!

39102598_10156353046101138_5694052136757755904_o.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:08 PM, railsquid said:

The Squidlet, playing with "his" N gauge trains again.

squidlet-2018-08.jpg

Awesome!  This is inspiring me to get my layout out of its boxes and let my guy play around with it!

Tip: a length of Tomix tram track comes in very handy as a railer/rerailer. Also providing some old train cars of little value might be a good idea; the Squidlet is very careful (otherwise I wouldn't let him near this stuff), but there was this one time when (while I wasn't looking) he put one on the floor, forgot about it, and CRUNCH.

• Like 1

I think I'll head to the second hand shops in search of cheap N guage cars for him to destroy!

My main concern now is that the room I want to set it up in doubles as a toy room for him (and eventually little sister when she is old enough) and stuff gets thrown around in there A LOT!  So the buildings on my layout will look like Godzilla destroyed them within a few months.

Option 2 is to sacrifice a bedroom for it but wife is not super keen on that (well, I haven't tested the waters with her on it but I can anticipate a less than enthusiastic reaction). 

• Densha pinned this topic

One possibly useful tip, have a look for older Minitrix locos for childproof N. They did an odd shaped thing which claimed to be a BR Class 27 but used the chassis from a German electric loco (which looked somewhat odd too). Reason to look for these ancient models? They're incredibly tough. There are no fine details, no traction tyres, just an all metal chassis and drivetrain which can be dismantled with a small flathead screwdriver for servicing.

As I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, we took delivery of a new tram on Wednesday night. Because it's school holiday time here I wasn't worried about Harry having a late night. On our way to Loftus we picked up my mate, fellow museum member Dave and his son Sebastian, also on holiday from school. 

Once the tram was safely unloaded from the trailer we started preparing it for the drive into the depot. Because the car had been stored outdoors for three years hard up against another car it had graffiti all over the side and end that was accessible to the deadshits vandals. So the boys volunteered for the job of removing it from the No.2 end cab windscreen. They also removed a small patch of the vinyl advertising wrap, which revealed the original livery and lettering underneath. That appears to be in good condition, so maybe we won't have to carry out a full repaint of the car, just a touch-up. 

I was glad the boys were there for the night. Not only was it a significant event for the museum, but they had a fun night, and were a great help with preparing the car to move.

Cheers,

Mark.

large.IMG_2942.JPG.6895f055848ddaebb65f0

large.IMG_2955.JPG.177d4464a1412b162d985

large.IMG_2959.JPG.a501aa647d3a671647a29

large.IMG_2963.JPG.69c5e4c85f95f9a888ead

large.IMG_2967.JPG.fc7e3551565387ea0cf57

• Like 3